Gwilts best game by far

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stkfc1
Club Player

Seriously needs to use that big frame of his and HURT some people

but,yes....

Will retain his spot and, bar injury ,will keep it for next 20 rounds.

Remember ,when Fisher comes back , he will be picking up teams third

tall/medium forwards. Will start to dominate. Or maybe he keeps holding his

own and Fisher dominates . Either way.....BWAAAAHAHAHAHA! :twisted:

Mind you, off subject...Who goes out when Fisher comes back?....mmmmm :?

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

I just LOVE the boy from Noble Park! Always have...ever since his first game (the final v Adelaide in '05)!!!

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
lewdogs
Club Player

Hate to re-open old wounds that definitely don't need re-opening especially seeing as we looked so bloody good tonight and can go one step further this year but....

should have played in the GF last year

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I would always rather see the attacking Gwilt in the team than the entirely defensive Dempster, so yes he should have been in the GF. But there wasn't much in it and Dempster had a good game other than shooting for goal.

I have long been a massive Gwilt fan and desperately want him to make it.

He contributed well last night, but I have to say that his positional play when the opposition have the ball is still not that great.

But I would hope he'd keep his spot. Indeed, only Kosi and Sam Fisher can now feel confident about getting back in when next available.

Raph, Dempster and Steven chose the wrong times to get injured!

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
wallbanger
Club Player

Great link-man down back - has actually become very important in the abscence of Fisher. Seems to always get to the contest to provide an outlet, and his disposal is good.

Could he be the next cult figure????

Please...let's win a Premiership before GEELONG!!!! (O.k., so we've missed that opportunity...maybe let's win the next one before Geelong????)
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

He certainly will make Raph work really hard to get back in.

Gwilt's kicking is sometimes silky.....not quite at the Dal level (who may I add was awesome yet again last night!), but right up there.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt has really become a reliable, impressive player. His confidence has gone through the roof and I love that he backs himself now and makes quick decisions. Currently I'd have him well ahead of both Dempster and Raph.

johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

He definately strikes me as a confidence player and one of those that just needed games under his belt. Bit like a Harry O twin from the pies.

Duggie
Club Player

The first name I look for every week is GWILT.
You guys have not let up yet. :lol:

A Saint Forever!
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Er, except Harry O has twice the senior game tally.

Game #43 for Gwilty, he's finally starting to look like he can hold his poise over 4 quarters. He's 23, five seasons and never been gifted much consistency either in games or playing position but now with a bit of luck we are seeing him start to settle into a role.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

just needs to be cleaner with his hands and in the air but what can I say, feel much safer when the ball is in his hands

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He is in some really good form, would love to see him out there every week.

Certainly heats up the battle for the last few spots, anyone still concerned about our depth of players who can play in defence?

Fearless
Club Player

Like wtaching Gwilt play footy, he is a natural and his disposal is realy good.

Loved that 40 m dart handball over the pack to an attacking position in the last quaretr.

He has worked hard to get where he is, another step up and he will be an 'A' player.

Fearless, Saints footy. That's what I like.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:I would always rather see the attacking Gwilt in the team than the entirely defensive Dempster,.
To be fair the 2010 Gwilt is better than the 2009 Gwilt.

He really looks to have stepped up a notch and become a "footballer".

Agree that Raph for his sake got injured at the wrong time as Gwilt will now be not easy to displace.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 04 Apr 2010 11:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
noblejohn
Club Player

I Love Peter Kiel wrote:I just LOVE the boy from Noble Park!
+1 :lol:

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

His kicking penetration out of defence is really telling - he kicks it 40 with speed.....has a good frame and is surer than Raph under pressure.

Id still like to see Raph Clarke be given a shot on a HFF......I reckon he might go allright...

“Yeah….nah””
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

That final against Adelaide was pretty good.

kp83
Club Player

Fearless wrote: Loved that 40 m dart handball over the pack to an attacking position in the last quaretr.
40 meters!! A bit of an exaggeration there, but it was a beauty. That bit of play along with others during the night showed that his decision making has significantly improved. This is the thing that strikes me most about Jimmy this year - he is making the correct decisions quickly now.

goodie
Club Player

kp83 wrote:
Fearless wrote: Loved that 40 m dart handball over the pack to an attacking position in the last quaretr.
40 meters!! A bit of an exaggeration there, but it was a beauty. That bit of play along with others during the night showed that his decision making has significantly improved. This is the thing that strikes me most about Jimmy this year - he is making the correct decisions quickly now.
Probably had as much penetration as a Luke Ball kick.

I'm not proud of it, but the joke had to be made

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

goodie wrote:
kp83 wrote:
Probably had as much penetration as a Luke Ball kick.

I'm not proud of it, but the joke had to be made
But a lot more accurate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Fearless
Club Player

Comrades, honestly, I think it was close to 40 m, it took my breath away when he did it, just kept going and going, and I was on the other side of the ground.

Fearless, Saints footy. That's what I like.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The couple of times I made it to training this year, he hasn't been participating fully with the main group. Wonder if anyone has noticed if it has continued in recent weeks?

Made me wonder if he is on a new fitness program, I remember reading on here that he had chronic asthma, so curious if perhaps this is a new approach to ensuring he is at his peak on game day?

That aside, he certainly seems to have a new confidence about him.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Fearless wrote:Like wtaching Gwilt play footy, he is a natural and his disposal is realy good.

Loved that 40 m dart handball over the pack to an attacking position in the last quaretr.

He has worked hard to get where he is, another step up and he will be an 'A' player.
It's funny, but that one handball proved a lot! Not only skill and execution, but vision and knowledge to put the ball in such an advantageous position.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
rexy
SS Life Member

A cult figure at Moorabin and I would love to see him continue to improve and be selected because of it. Many good points to his game.

Lets put it in perspective though. Probably not the best measure. This week will be a big test, collingwood will be fired up after a flat performance last week, their forward line is unpredictable and pacy and forward preassure in round 1 looked to be their biggest improvement from 09.

Looking forward to the contest.

Maybe this year?
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:It's funny, but that one handball proved a lot! Not only skill and execution, but vision and knowledge to put the ball in such an advantageous position.
agreed, i think there were a couple of big handballs over the top to get us out of trouble. many use handball purely as a get out of jail with quick sideways, but jimmy g seems to use it as a real offensive weapon.

he might struggle a touch next week against a better side, but once s fisher comes back i reckon gwilt will look pretty solid as third tall.