Molly Meldrum is a passionate Saint man

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:What has he ever done to earn an honest living?

Produced a couple of half decent records in the 60's and 70's, hosted Countdown after getting his start miming other artists on Commotion.

Since then he's been a celebrity. In other words a leech on society, who contributes nothing.

It's an embarrassment to have him connected to our club.
In your opinion.

Sounds like some serious jealousy there?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:What has he ever done to earn an honest living?

Produced a couple of half decent records in the 60's and 70's, hosted Countdown after getting his start miming other artists on Commotion.

Since then he's been a celebrity. In other words a leech on society, who contributes nothing.

It's an embarrassment to have him connected to our club.
You sound like you're talking about Paris Hilton. She is also a leech on society, who contributes nothing.

Hmmmm, she also parades around in front of the media holding her dog.

So many similarities........

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i like molly, though he's well capable of making a dill of himself if he's had a few.

basically he's a harmless old gal and they get the privilege of saying exactly what they think.

DJKCR
Club Player

My only meeting with Molly was years ago when they used to run the thrill on Red Hill, and he came across as a complete and utter a"*ehole. Had an overly inflated opinion of himself and what he contributes to the world. And that is coming from someone who was only 13 at the time. 22 years ago. Just my two cents.

I did enjoy the Thrill on Red hill days though I gather they don't still run them??

"I don't roll on Shabbas" Walter Sobchak
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Molly Meldrum has put a fair bit of money in to the club and has rallied his friends such as Michael Gudinski and others to help out the club over the last 35 years.

Why is this character assassination going on?

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Not to divert the conversation totally off track, but the notion of people who are celebrities contributing nothing to society harks back to another era when there was a much stronger emphasis in the economy on primary and secondary production... and the service sector was far less significant. In today's economy, most people either work in a service sector and in information... a service (even a pop culture service, such as gossip, or other form of lightweight entertainment) is still making a contribution.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Milan Faletic wrote:Molly Meldrum has put a fair bit of money in to the club and has rallied his friends such as Michael Gudinski and others to help out the club over the last 35 years.

Good question. I was not keen on his comments today, but they are just his opinion and relatively mild compared to some of the rubbish posted on here.

What was not mentioned on here was how he discussed being a part of the cheer squad in his younger days and how he came to be a loyal Sainter and how he would never change his team. Good friends with a few of our players also.

He has put a lot of money in over the years and was part of the posse that went up to QLD to lure Blight to the club and put some of his own money in to do so.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:Molly Meldrum has put a fair bit of money in to the club and has rallied his friends such as Michael Gudinski and others to help out the club over the last 35 years.

Good question. I was not keen on his comments today, but they are just his opinion and relatively mild compared to some of the rubbish posted on here.

What was not mentioned on here was how he discussed being a part of the cheer squad in his younger days and how he came to be a loyal Sainter and how he would never change his team. Good friends with a few of our players also.

He has put a lot of money in over the years and was part of the posse that went up to QLD to lure Blight to the club and put some of his own money in to do so.

This, and this.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Yeah well a bloke who has been in the media forever should know better than to make ill informed remarks about our players who he claims to love. Maybe he only loves some of the players? How can people compare ill informed comments made on saintsational to that of the broader media? Not even comprable in my opinion.

If he knows stuff all about footy (which is clear from his remarks) then she should just make generic remarks re the saints rather than shoot off at the mouth. Contributing money to the saints doesn't give him the right to say what he wants or above criticism for his comments.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Yeah well a bloke who has been in the media forever should know better than to make ill informed remarks about our players who he claims to love. Maybe he only loves some of the players? How can people compare ill informed comments made on saintsational to that of the broader media? Not even comprable in my opinion.

If he knows stuff all about footy (which is clear from his remarks) then she should just make generic remarks re the saints rather than shoot off at the mouth. Contributing money to the saints doesn't give him the right to say what he wants or above criticism for his comments.
Agreed. It doesn't help anyone, and is highly self-indulgent. I hope the club doesn't get him to speak publicly at functions any more.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

maybe it's that time of the month?

Another opportunity awaits!
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Moccha wrote:maybe it's that time of the month?

Oooh ...... bitchy....... :wink:

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Why do people get so upset about someone having an opinion?

Let's say he was highly complimentary about the Saints? Does that make his opinion any more worthy?

Let's face it, it is only because the opinion is negative that people have decided to hang the bloke.

If he'd had nothing but good things to say, then this thread wouldn't exist.

People need to accept differences of opinion and take it with a pinch of salt.

Don't take it as a personal attack!

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I don't care who he is. If any half wit moron goes on record bagging anyone on our playing list publicly, I find it destructive and eroding our chances of developing those players to be the best that they can be.

No different to our fans that bag our players during games. Keep our dirty laundry behind closed doors or resemble the Tigers rabble.

No real fan should be sniping our players and I think Wil Anderson got his tweet right on Molly one too many pharmacy products for the old deary.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I don't care who he is. If any half wit moron goes on record bagging anyone on our playing list publicly, I find it destructive and eroding our chances of developing those players to be the best that they can be.

No different to our fans that bag our players during games. Keep our dirty laundry behind closed doors or resemble the Tigers rabble.

No real fan should be sniping our players and I think Wil Anderson got his tweet right on Molly one too many pharmacy products for the old deary.
So you've never criticised a player? Never?

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Superboot
SS Life Member

Milan Faletic wrote:We are talking about Molly Meldrum here, not Professor Julius Sumner Miller. :lol:
Yeah, but I often look at Molly and think "Why is it so?" :D

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Superboot wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:We are talking about Molly Meldrum here, not Professor Julius Sumner Miller. :lol:
Glad somebody has the right perspective. :lol: :lol: :wink:

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
Superboot wrote:
Glad somebody has the right perspective. :lol: :lol: :wink:
There's a glass and a half of full cream dairy milk in every 200 gram block!!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

A little known fact but apparently Molly's dog thought Ross got the team selections right and this has been the source of much ongoing friction in the Meldrum household.

WOOF WOOF :lol:

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Image

A little known fact but apparently Molly's dog thought Ross got the team selections right and this has been the source of much ongoing friction in the Meldrum household.

WOOF WOOF :lol:
Barking up the wrong tree?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
I don't care who he is. If any half wit moron goes on record bagging anyone on our playing list publicly, I find it destructive and eroding our chances of developing those players to be the best that they can be.

So you've never criticised a player? Never?

Not in the media.

I've complained at mistakes in a derogatory manner, but I try not to see individuals as scape goats for a team game. I find the way some players seem to keep making similar mistakes frustrating but try to remain less emotional and believe the player is being played in the position they are in because they are our best option. Some people seem to go to the footy and start on Raph and Dawson before the ball gets bounced - why?

na exa
Club Player

there a bunch of effen scammers as well !

have you noticed all their flavours in a 120gram blocks , except original dairymilk which is in 100gram blocks.

fair dinky. :roll:

its like the morons selling tobacco in 30 gram satchels instead of 50.

their like pot dealers. :lol:

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote: Not in the media.

I've complained at mistakes in a derogatory manner, but I try not to see individuals as scape goats for a team game. I find the way some players seem to keep making similar mistakes frustrating but try to remain less emotional and believe the player is being played in the position they are in because they are our best option. Some people seem to go to the footy and start on Raph and Dawson before the ball gets bounced - why?
Fair enough, although you did liken Molly's comments to those at a game, so I just wondered if you get vocal at games.

I agree with you about the scapegoats though. But in their opinion Zac isn't worth a zac, whilst in other opinions, he is a match winner.

All opinions. None right or wrong, just opinions.

na exa
Club Player

oh yea ... and molly never did anything for the australian music industry, or for the rw&b by being one of us .

gringo
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

Not in the media.

Fair enough, although you did liken Molly's comments to those at a game, so I just wondered if you get vocal at games.

I agree with you about the scapegoats though. But in their opinion Zac isn't worth a zac, whilst in other opinions, he is a match winner.

All opinions. None right or wrong, just opinions.

Im am vocal but it usually involves the lack of umpiring decisions going our way or the perception that the other team is stretching the rules. Also a bit partial to the head in the hands when were losing though.