Milney memories coming to his 200th

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Milney memories coming to his 200th

anyone remember his first?
Most remember his 11 goals vs Brisbane
I love hearing things like the fact he gave the Speach for kosi pre game on FRiday..
and he tried for the leadership group...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx
from Leigh matthews ( who cringed when the 11 goals was raised Friday night)
Against Richmond on Friday night, Milne personally exceeded the team average getting on the end of nine inside-50 marks on the way to 16 kicks and a five-goal haul.

Milney kicked 11 against the Brisbane Lions late in 2005 so I have seen his capabilities, but I've never seen him play the small full-forward role as well as he did against the Tigers.
.. ...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
milney044
Club Player

I do. He kicked his first in his debut against Port Adelaide back in 2001. One of my favourite goals was one he kicked in the draw against the Swans in 2002 - I'm sure i won't be the only one who remembers it..typical vintage Milney goal.
I'm gunna mention it 'til something happens - 200 game highlights DVD! If only i had access to every game from 2001 I'd produce it myself!

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

This was a more recent standout for mine....so very brave, and then to make the long drive back purely to push for selection the following week.

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/ ... wsId=66070

Marcus1232
Club Player

Goal against PA over there last season defied logic

oh and his goal against PA over there this year defied logic again

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

I remember watching him in a reserves game at Moorabbin in 2000 season. I knew then that was going to be something special...

There was a long bomb into the goal square at the Nepean Highway end and Milney ran toward it...He tried a mid air scissor style kick at the ball. He missed the goal but it was the only way he was going to get to the ball.

Very inventive player and have loved his creativity. I have always felt confident when he has the ball outside of goal kicking range as he is an excellent user of the footy.

There have been the brain snaps, but he has more hits than misses.

Well done Milney on 200 VERY memorable games!
Last edited by Life Long Saint on Mon 07 Jun 2010 12:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Can't remember the Port game specifically, but even when he's having his down weeks, I'm always a fan of Stephen Milne on the back of his work in '01 and '02.

All too many games, he was the only reason to cheer.

Favorite for mine (even ahead of the Lions haul - and that one is especially great for me, it's deeper in the Lions fans heads than Aussie Jones or Try Schwarz) is probably a goal he kicked in 2004 against the 'Roos (I think)

Still relatively early in the streak - after years of being down, we didn't feel we had it till the final siren sounded - he's taken a mark and backed up outside 50.

Me to brother: "he'll play on",
Brother to me: "And they know it - look, there's 3 of them."

He played on, and made 3 kangas defenders look like pylons getting to 35 and kicking the goal.

When he's on you can't stop him, you can only hope to contain him.

One of the most perennially underrated players I've seen go around; "doesn't matter if his team doesn't win", "not good enough both ways", "can't run through the midfield", , "doesn't travel well enough", "doesn't show up for finals", "too hot and cold". All to some extent true, but needs to be put in perspective behind him being an incredibly dangerous player who hurts you if he gets an inch.

Certainly not a perfect player, but along the journey, he's learned what he does well, does that first, and works at doing more. Very, very good small forward.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Milney memories coming to his 200th

Against Richmond on Friday night, Milne personally exceeded the team average getting on the end of nine inside-50 marks on the way to 16 kicks and a five-goal haul.
that shows how much we've been missing rooey.

it was a fabulous game by milne, who i thought was BOG.

congratulations to him on reaching this milestone.

it's a very tough gig being a small forward and there have been few better than the tiprat.

my best memories of him have both come this season. those two identical goals in separate games kicked from the right forward pocket at the coventry end.

the ones that rolled through with a nice little off break at the end.

i think he did it on friday just to show the first one was no fluke.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Isn't there a Didak DVD featuring his every goal or something?

I'd love to see a package of Milne's jawdropping goals -- must be about 70 of them by now.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

RUN OF THE MILNE:
Love him or hate him, Stephen Milne is a darn good footy player. The pint-sized Saint was at his exciting best on Friday night, booting five goals including a Milne special from the boundary line in the second quarter. As he prepares for his 200th career game this weekend, his status as a modern great is up for debate. He sits fourth on St Kilda's all-time goal scoring list with 403 and his 11-goal haul against Brisbane in 2005 will live long in the memory of Saints fans. Statistically, his goals-to-game ratio puts him on par with West Coast legend Phillip Matera and former Demons and Fremantle great Jeff Farmer.

How does Milne rate compared to the great small forwards of the modern era? Email your thoughts.

LATEST COMMENTS FROM FANS:
Gez says: Speaking on behalf of all those who proudly wear a red, black and white number 44 I am happy to hear Milney finally get some of the accolades he deserves. Doing things your own way is rarely popular and despite the constant knocks from opposition supporters, the media, his own supporters and even his former coach, Milney keeps on keeping on in his unique way. I have a long held belief that he is the bellwether of the team - when Milney plays well St Kilda wins. Great efforts by the irreplaceable tip rat who stands up there with the likes of Goddard, Hayes, Montagna and Dal Santo as the reason the Riewoldt-less Saints are still in the top 4.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 51,00.html

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
St Michele
Club Player

My favourites are too many, mostly I love the bizarre bouncing goals and the celebration when he kicked the goal near the end of the Geelong game we won last year.
So glad he is having his 200 in Perth so I can be there to help him celebrate.

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Milney is a gun! When he's on fire he's red hot! Love having this bloke in the side! :D

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

My favourite impression of Milne is that he is now an adult......things changed a couple of years ago, and now he is finally a true leader, and better than ever IMO, which is not bad for a 30 year old!

The only chink in his armour is finals....if he can finally deliver in the finals this season, he'll be a consumate champion 200 game player IMO.

SaintWal
Club Player

A couple of years back we went to the meet the players breakfast in Brisbane.

We were hoping for a big name player and when we got there we were disappointed to be allocated Milne on our table.

He was fantastic.

Remembered all our names on leaving and was always up for questions and photos. A good guy.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Early 2000's I was very young. But this just stood out Milne grabbing the goal, slipping over, gets up and kicks it. That is my earliest memory of him.. You also can't forget 11 goals

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
JohnE
Club Player

Winning the 1999 reserve grade Grand Final!! See, he can produce in finals!! Thank you bumbers for letting him go!!

Kourkoumelis & Beveridge & Traianidis Appreciation Society
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:I remember watching him in a reserves game at Moorabbin in 2000 season. I knew then that was going to be something special...

There was a long bomb into the goal square at the Nepean Highway end and Milney ran toward it...He tried a mid air scissor style kick at the ball. He missed the goal but it was the only way he was going to get to the ball.

Very inventive player and have loved his creativity. I have always felt confident when he has the ball outside of goal kicking range as he is an excellent user of the footy.

There have been the brain snaps, but he has more hits than misses.

Well done Milney on 200 VERY memorable games!
pretty sure he got a standing ovation as he was being dragged :D

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

First memory is him playing the hawks at the dome in 2001. Kicking to the right of screen,he ran out and took a mini hanger,played on and kicked the goal.

Surely has kicked the most exciting goals of all time. I reckon 200 of his 400 goals have been on the run gems...especially early in his career,they virtually all were,as he'd play on everytime without fail....to our detriment occassionally,like in 05 when he cost us the game against North...

Bring back the Lockett era
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I wanna see a Milne highlight package.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

[quote="SainterK"]This was a more recent standout for mine....so very brave, and then to make the long drive back purely to push for selection the following week.

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/ ... wsId=66070

good call sainterk. that was amazing. i wouldnt have done it. he would have felt sick and sorry on monday. geez the guy just really really loves playing footy.

Calais
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:I wanna see a Milne highlight package.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Calais wrote:
Amazing stuff...thanks mate!

That Hawthorn one is the one that sticks out in my memory the most, along with that brilliant run, slide get up & snap from the boundary in the draw against Sydney.

Congrats Milney, what a player.

The Saints are coming!
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

True Blue Sainter wrote:
Calais wrote:
Amazing stuff...thanks mate!

That Hawthorn one is the one that sticks out in my memory the most, along with that brilliant run, slide get up & snap from the boundary in the draw against Sydney.

Congrats Milney, what a player.
That Hawthorn goal was magnificent. For some reason it is split up on that youtube video. The mark he takes over the top of his opponent is early in the video and then he hits the ground running and kicks the goal which is shown as part of a goal of the day thing late in the video..

I reckon one of his best goals was never seen on TV properly. Playing the Tigers at Docklands he was pinged for holding the ball. Foxtel decide to show a slow motion replay of what was a pretty obvious free kick but by the time they come back to live action Milney is running into an open goal. What they didn't show was two Tigers trying to pass to each other on the backline and Milney just harassing them until he intercepted the third handpass.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
battye
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:Early 2000's I was very young. But this just stood out Milne grabbing the goal, slipping over, gets up and kicks it. That is my earliest memory of him.. You also can't forget 11 goals
Slipping over was part of his repertoire early last decade, it was just how he played. It would be good to see another slip over, run on and goal this week just for old times sake :)

I remember Milne early last decade basically playing as a full forward in the absence of anyone else. As someone else said, back then there wasn't much else to cheer about.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
yipper
SS Life Member

The slip over has actually gone from his game now. He is taking more marks now, seems physically much stronger and holds his ground a lot better. He is a super player - could so easily have been the hero last year in the GF - kicked it higher instead of dribbled along the ground. Anyway, he is a genuine star player, who is exciting to watch and he has been delivering the goods for us over many seasons.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.