Mark Williams keen on 'Dean Laidley role' - a benefit to us?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintlee
Club Player

Mark Williams keen on 'Dean Laidley role' - a benefit to us?

From the Herald Scum: "SACKED Port Adelaide coach Mark Williams can see himself taking on a senior assistant/mentoring role similar to that held by Dean Laidley at the Power this year...Laidley, formerly the coach of North Melbourne, was brought to the Power as a way of strengthening the club's coaches' box while also providing a peer for Williams to exchange ideas with."

Not sure what other people think about Choco, but I always rated him as a coach, could he be beneficial to the Saints in a senior assistant/match day consultant type role?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

f****** oath we should be interested....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

No way. We have a great coaching panel and we have a now experienced coach. We dont need a second coach.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:f****** oath we should be interested....
At the very least we should look into it.

The man coached teams to top 4 on 5 occasions in 12 years, and another 2 finals series, he goes OK

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

He will get that role at GWS with Sheeds

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

carlton ought to look at him as a senior coach.

choco would be a good No. 1, but not a good No. 2, because the senior coach would always be looking over his shoulder.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:carlton ought to look at him as a senior coach.

choco would be a good No. 1, but not a good No. 2, because the senior coach would always be looking over his shoulder.
One would think he will get the senior job for GWS

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:

they could do a hell of a lot worse

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

they did :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

they did :lol:
Yes they got a guy who only wins one flag every 7 years.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Worth a 12 week contract as a pre-game analyst for finals opponents

No role game day in coaches box but each week (from now on) reviews our likely finals opponents - geelong, collingwood, fremantle, western bulldogs, carlton both live and in replay and makes specific notes on strengths / weaknesses and patterns they run and how we can with our structure expose them.

given port is one of just 3 teams to beat us and that game plan was probably hatched by laidley, he would be worthwhile as a consultant simply to provide us with a blueprint on how teams try to attack our plan

i would offer him $10,000 a week ($120,000) plus $30,000 bonus iff we win the Grand Final.

if we dont ... Collingwood will.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:Worth a 12 week contract as a pre-game analyst for finals opponents

No role game day in coaches box but each week (from now on) reviews our likely finals opponents - geelong, collingwood, fremantle, western bulldogs, carlton both live and in replay and makes specific notes on strengths / weaknesses and patterns they run and how we can with our structure expose them.

given port is one of just 3 teams to beat us and that game plan was probably hatched by laidley, he would be worthwhile as a consultant simply to provide us with a blueprint on how teams try to attack our plan

i would offer him $10,000 a week ($120,000) plus $30,000 bonus iff we win the Grand Final.

not a bad thought. different perspectives can help. then again, we go okay without him.
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 14 Jul 2010 1:29am, edited 1 time in total.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
stinger wrote:f****** oath we should be interested....
At the very least we should look into it.

The man coached teams to top 4 on 5 occasions in 12 years, and another 2 finals series, he goes OK
Mick Malthouse will be free soon. :wink:

rexy
SS Life Member

BackFromUSA wrote:Worth a 12 week contract as a pre-game analyst for finals opponents

Good idea IMO.

Maybe this year?
degruch
Saintsational Legend

We were Port's bitch long before Laidley came along. Full marks to him for marketing himself so astutely, seems like he'll be telling the arabs they're short on sand soon.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

williams will be the bombers coach...either next year or as soon as the job is vacant......could use him in the meantime but.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Golfer

Think you will find Ross Lyon is a bit of a control freak, which in my opinion is good, and no one new can get into the bubble.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Not unless we are deficient in the coaching department.

Another opportunity awaits!
spert
Saintsational Legend

If Malthouse doesn't deliver a flag this season, then Choco will be the Magpie coach -forget Bucks

degruch
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:If Malthouse doesn't deliver a flag this season, then Choco will be the Magpie coach -forget Bucks
That would be an awesome result. 8-)

Unfortunately, it might make the Filth premiers 2011 too. :x

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

I was under the impression that SOS was Lyon's right hand man? From what I've heard from various media grabs over the past 12 months, our current game style was very much an effort from both Lyon and SOS.

In saying this, i really rate Chocco. And we must also remember we lost Elshaug a month or so ago. What is happening about a full-time replacement for him?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

thirty-seven!? wrote:I was under the impression that SOS was Lyon's right hand man? From what I've heard from various media grabs over the past 12 months, our current game style was very much an effort from both Lyon and SOS.

In saying this, i really rate Chocco. And we must also remember we lost Elshaug a month or so ago. What is happening about a full-time replacement for him?
Brian Royal has stepped straight into Tony Elshaug's role...It's been a very smooth transition accroding to all reports (thank god).

I don't think Choco would be a good fit. Opposition analyst v head coach are two completley different skill sets. Lyon spoke to Laidley late last year about something but nothing eventuated.

The Saints are all over this. Bring on the finals but first bring on the Colon Wood filthy maggot scum.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.