Are the pies still no good

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintnick12
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
bob__71 wrote:Wow. I came in here a bit flat after yesterday and P66 a so called StKilda supporter is in here acting like a Collingwood supporter who's only friends are StKilda suppoerters. Keep it in your pants mate, JPB is about somewhere go get excited with him.
Please explain from what i said that doesnt make me a sints supporter. Saying another side is a very good side. I dont see how that means you dont love another club. Have Geelong been a very good side for the last 3 years. Of course they have. Does that mean I am not a Saints supporter.

If the pies arent a very good side then that isnt good for us. As a Saints supporter I hope the pies are very good otherwise it doesnt go well for us.
I agree with you P66. Of course they are a good team...a very good team. And one who played better than us on the day and won the game..simple as that. It's not as if they fell over the line. They smashed us. The last few times we have been the better team, this time not.
If we say they are no good, what does that say about us.

We can certainly take some solace in the fact that we weren't at our best and will surely play better against them next time. I'm sure Geelong will be saying the same thing about us beating them.

The bookies still have tightened their odds and eased out us and the cats slightly for the flag. But Cats are still favourites and we are second favourites. They might be on top but they are still not favourites. (We were favourites for a while last year and look where that got us).
Pies still have Cats and Hawks to play. They also play Tigers next week which will be a huge game. Who would have thought that a few months ago.
Massive game for us V the Hawks. We need to bounce back big time, and show that yesterday was an abberation. Interesting, most media I have read is taking that view...that yesterday was an abberation rather than a sign of any huge problems.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Are the pies still no good

kosifantutti23 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Why do people put themselves into a position where they have no where to go when they say top sides are no good. The Pies are a very good side and anyone who thinks otherwise also must admit we are no good. I refuse to believe that but I do think the Pies can play.
Have always rated them the past few seasons.

They despise us for the fact that we put them out of the finals two years running. They are out to level the score.

They hate us so much that they recruited Luke Ball and Max Hudghton.

I think we will meet again in the finals ... maybe even in the big dance ... and beat them by three goals.

Ah okay. They despise us anyway because of Greening, because of Milne and Malthouse and because we are one of the teams standing in the way of them winning it.

Geelong put them out last year.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
fingers wrote:P66 - i get your question.

They are a good side. But I honestly don't think their style of play will cut it in finals. They beat us well yesterday but we were well of our best. Was it because they didn't let usplay well ( like we did to Geelong a few weeks ago) or did we just have an off week.

Maybe RL's sadness during the week rubbed off on the team and we were flat. Who knows.

Our best is much better than theirs - and that's what I hope we bring in Sep. Mentally, I hope that this is a bit of kick in the ass for us. It's not about how you feel it's about how you act on the day.

Nothing but absolute best cuts it these days. If you are "off" any team can beat you. And the reason I don't rate clwood that highly is they still haven't beaten anyone who is at their best.
That last line could be said about any side that loses. Were Geelong at their best when we beat them this year. I doubt it as they had 5 AA players out. Were the pies at their best when we beat them the first time. i doubt it as they kicked 4 17. Were we at our best in the GF. No because Rooy had an ordinary game. Most sides arent at their best when they lose and that is why they lose. Is it actually that side or is it the side playing them that doesnt let them play their best. Collingwood beat us fair and square yesterday and they should be rated accordingly.
Agree completely.

wasaintsfan
Club Player

ill never rate the pies :P

we also lost to port essendon and carlton... how are they all going

geelong lost to adelaide and carlton

collingwood drew with melbourne!!! and lost to brisbane

how about freo... lost to both richmond and adelaide!!!!!!!

as we learnt last year... home and away season means nothing once you get into top 4 (especially if all 4 teams are melbourne based) its then when the better teams perform..

2nd 3rd or 4th are a better position to attack the finals from as you dont carry the pressure that comes with 1st

in 08 the only team to beat geelong was collingwood by 80+ points

my point is theres a long way between now and finals and when it is finals its a different game all together

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

They have improved thanks to Ross Lyon and Paul Roos....but they have improved.

I don't think we will play without any intensity when we meet them next time in the finals...and I'd like to see them play that boundary line crap against us again....

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Sat 31 Jul 2010 3:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
Sobraz
SS Life Member

They are a good, even team, with few passangers, but also few champions/match winners...

Roo, BJ and Lenny are all superior players to thier best player (IMO, Swan), but they have a tier of secondary players that may go deeper than ours...Guys like Fraser, Anthony, Dick, Medhurst etc all spending significant time in the twos while Dempster and Patto are running around for us...

It comes back to the top 6 v's bottom 6 argument... Our top are far better, thier bottom are probably superior...

In saying that, Im not sold on the L. Browne's, McCaffers, Dawes and the like, however they do their bit....

In the past stars have often shone brightest in finals and got teams over the line... Roo for us last year, Chapmen in the GF, Hodge in '08... The Magpies havent got any player IMO who can reach these hights... We have a number...

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

We have only been beaten badly by the Blues and the Pies. On both games nothing went right for us. You do have bad days and i think both of these games were exactly that. Port and Bombers losses were hard fought battles where we were off slightly. I am not worried one bit by the losses we have had this year i think we are set to start a build towards September.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.