Assistant Coaches 2011 & beyond? !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FQF
SS Life Member

I like the idea of Kirk... fits Saints Footy like a glove.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

I'd rather have Goodwin as a player, but I'm sure he'd be just fine as a coach. He's played all over the field over his career so I think he could handle any spot as a line coach.

But seriously, if he's going to move over anyway, is he sure he doesn't want to have one last tilt at another flag?

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Mark
Club Player

how about Knightsy :D he's available.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
borderbarry wrote:Who was the other assistant coach given the flick when Lyon took over beside Jason Cripps? He was part aboriginal, had played reserve footy for the saints, and was apparently doing a good job.
jason mifsud?

what about brett kirk? hes good mates with RL. Would be a great assistant.
Also Simon Goodin would be excellent. And James Mcdonald also.
I can't help but think Captain Kirk will just go sit in a cave somewhere, get stoned for a bit, pen a few songs then come back to earth as lead singer of a trippy psych-folk band that is surprisingly okay.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Stjohn
Club Player

Aussie Jones??

Has been coaching kids in the TAC as well as lower leagues, sounds knowledgable (biased aside) on the radio...might be ready to take the nexte step?

" I am a loyal person and at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know I am a St Kilda person for life. That was something that has heavily influenced my decision.â€
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

how about Knightsy he's available.
Seems to know how to regularly beat St.Kilda, might be worth having a chat to him about our weaknesses.

You could probably throw Mark Williams in the same boat.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Mark wrote:how about Knightsy :D he's available.
Maybe the perfect blend with Ross and may be happy to come at a reasonable price, since he's already sitting on something like $1.1 million, for the next two years. Probably our main weakness is our lack of attack and sometimes inability to score and that's what he's been known for at Essendon, being very/too attacking. His attack, mixed with Ross's defense may be just the balance we need to strike, especially if we don't happen to win it this year.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Any role for Stephen King?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, but would anyone connected to Essendon give him a character reference? :roll: :wink: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

bigred
Saintsational Legend

jason mifsud?
excellent.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:
jason mifsud?
excellent.
Excellent what?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigred wrote:
jason mifsud?
excellent.
Excellent what?
Excellent name.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Beno88 wrote:
Seems to know how to regularly beat St.Kilda, might be worth having a chat to him about our weaknesses.

Personally, I would sign up Knights as an assistant in a heartbeat. I think he's gotten a really bum deal at Essendon... the old phrase "you can't fire the players..." comes to mind.

Essendon fans like to claim he's got no defensive structure, which is blatantly untrue. Unfortunately for him, it just never seemed to appear behind the turnover if the running game wasn't working.

I wouldn't put him in charge of list management... but I wouldn't mind his ability to deconstruct zones and implement set plays. Anecdotally (i.e. I have no statistical evidence) it seemed to me that Knights bombers always fared best against set defenses ala St Kilda/Hawthorn.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
FQF
SS Life Member

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
Beno88 wrote:

Personally, I would sign up Knights as an assistant in a heartbeat. I think he's gotten a really bum deal at Essendon... the old phrase "you can't fire the players..." comes to mind.

Essendon fans like to claim he's got no defensive structure, which is blatantly untrue. Unfortunately for him, it just never seemed to appear behind the turnover if the running game wasn't working.

I wouldn't put him in charge of list management... but I wouldn't mind his ability to deconstruct zones and implement set plays. Anecdotally (i.e. I have no statistical evidence) it seemed to me that Knights bombers always fared best against set defenses ala St Kilda/Hawthorn.
Definitely worth examining each available option very thoroughly to get the very best outcome for the club, and the best assistants to complement Ross.

I would think that Knights would be on the list of guys to talk to.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
Beno88 wrote:

Definitely worth examining each available option very thoroughly to get the very best outcome for the club, and the best assistants to complement Ross.

I would think that Knights would be on the list of guys to talk to.
Dont agree. Knights is a head coach who has been sacked because his record at every club he has been to is poor. We need assistant coaches not sacked head coaches less than a year out of the job.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote: Dont agree. Knights is a head coach who has been sacked because his record at every club he has been to is poor. We need assistant coaches not sacked head coaches less than a year out of the job.
Hmmm.

While I disagree about the "why he was sacked" part, I wasn't aware of his "record" as a coach.

For the sake of info:

Signed as an assistant with Port Adelaide Magpies (2003) and replaced the head coach that year.

Resigned as head coach after 2004 missing the finals for the second year straight in order to take over at Bendigo.

He coached Bendigo 2005 - 2007. He made finals in 2005 (4th) and 2007 (8th).

As we know, he was head coach of Essendon from 2008, making the finals once (last year, limping in on a poor record).

A couple of things thus strike me about the career of Matthew Knights:
1) He hasn't been anywhere particularly long. That reads like an American coaching resume.
2) His "apprenticeship" was really more "work experience" type gigs at lower levels. Tough to be mentored when you're head honcho.
3) Without a chance to assess work as an assistant... it's difficult to make a case for him as an assistant..

IMO, his biggest flaw has been list management. Too many guys he couldn't get to play his game effectively continually getting selected. The plan itself I thought had plenty of merit. The development was to a plan... he just got the wrong bodies.

Since seeing the difference in our midfield between Rock and Elshaug, I think it's an important appointment. After a bit more research, I'm less sure what credit/criticism I want to give Matty Knights.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote: Knights is a head coach. We need assistant coaches not sacked head coaches less than a year out of the job.
Not any more. How about we just get whoever is best for the job, regardless of which label some may want to stick on them ("head coach", "assistant coach", etc.). Pigeonholing someone doesn't help.
Just because he hasn't had much success as "head coach" doesn't mean he wouldn't do well in an assistant's role. He may be better suited to not being the "big dog". And like he has at Essendon, where he's never really been welcomed by many, maybe he had ordinary lists at the other clubs he coached.
There's no need for us to limit our options, or have a closed mind.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Knights is a head coach. We need assistant coaches not sacked head coaches less than a year out of the job.
Not any more. How about we just get whoever is best for the job, regardless of which label some may want to stick on them ("head coach", "assistant coach", etc.). Pigeonholing someone doesn't help.
Just because he hasn't had much success as "head coach" doesn't mean he wouldn't do well in an assistant's role. He may be better suited to not being the "big dog". And like he has at Essendon, where he's never really been welcomed by many, maybe he had ordinary lists at the other clubs he coached.
There's no need for us to limit our options, or have a closed mind.
Im pretty sure I am not on the selection of the new coaches, it is just my opinion that his record at all clubs he has been at is poor.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

article in the hun yesterday that the gold coast wants tuder who is out of contract with us at years end and that we are interested in goodwin....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
AccidentallyTim
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
Maybe the perfect blend with Ross and may be happy to come at a reasonable price, since he's already sitting on something like $1.1 million, for the next two years. Probably our main weakness is our lack of attack and sometimes inability to score and that's what he's been known for at Essendon, being very/too attacking. His attack, mixed with Ross's defense may be just the balance we need to strike, especially if we don't happen to win it this year.
+1

Might be able to beat the bombers next year :)

Fortius Quo Fidelius
spert
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic or Russell Tweedale as forward coaches or maybe Don Discher for ruck coach.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

Ross will be sacked as coach and moved to an assistant job.
Replacement:
Coach/Captain/Premiership Captain/Superstar - Nick Riewoldt. :lol: :lol:

Sainter for life.