Dustin Martin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Playon
Club Player

Re: Dustin Martin

Honestly its gone the way all these cases usually do.
Had it even of gone to trial it would of most likely been dismissed.
He says she says.

Without her testimony there is nothing further the police can do.

Most likely she is happy with the result, which is better that what you may find for a non afl player.

Lack of evidence doesn't make you non guilty is the eyes of society, but certainly does in the eyes of the courts

Moods
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
dragit wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:But the AFL and Richmond cover it up.
Yep, by taking it to the police.
Based on those corroborating statements you should ping him for a couple of games clearly. Drunk to the point of amnesia, probably drugged, smacking walls, waving chopsticks whilst cornering the woman. If there was cctv of it I guarantee you he would have gone. AFL lick their lips when there is no vision. "Get the broom out and lift up the rug - brand management don't you know". Hardwick is so desperate to make finals and then win one (his job is hanging on it) he doesn't have the balls to make a statement. "All is forgiven Dusty - just please play well for us. Please"
The problem is even "Tracey's" friend didn't corroborate her story… he didn't hear Martin say what she is suggesting was said… he also said that he didn't think the slap on the wall was targeted at her, but he was obviously aggrieved that she had just threatened to ring his club.

I doubt CTV footage would have made any difference, it would have shown a drunk wanker staggering around with chopsticks in his mouth and then having a 60 second argument with Tracy.

The only thing that would support the story that he was threatening her life would have been from other diners accounts… even her friend couldn't do that.
Gee that's an interesting take on what was reported Dragit

Her friend stated that Dusty's demeanour was aggressive and intimidating. He says he didn't hear the threat but based on the way Martin was acting, it wouldn't have surprised him if it was said. In other words, he was probably as petrified as she was. Total recall of events in those circumstances can be difficult.

It made me laugh when he said that the he didn't think the slap on the wall was directed at her - I notice you conveniently left out the part when he said that the slap on the wall was very close to her head though.

Dusty was talking to her and her alone - not the entire restaurant. How the hell would anyone know what was said - unless it was made clear that he was screaming at the lady throughout their exchange?

Can we agree that Martin was behaving in a drunk, aggressive and intimidating fashion towards a woman then? If we do agree on that I believe that is enough for him to be sanctioned more severely than what he was - certainly more severely than two twats who have sent nude selfies to women who aren't their partners.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Gee that's an interesting take on what was reported Dragit.
My take is that the guy sitting next to her isn't really corroborating her story, if he did then Martin would probably be facing charges.

I don't think the AFL would have any issues suspending him if they thought he genuinely threatened her…

THE dining partner of a woman who claimed Richmond ace Dustin Martin threatened her with a chopstick in a Melbourne restaurant, has spoken publicly for the first time.

The man, who has given statements to police and the AFL, said the 60-second exchange was “tense” and the “adrenaline was flowing”.

He described Tiger star Martin gesticulating wildly as he spoke with the chopstick in his hand, at times coming close to her face.

“The chopstick was in his hand and he was talking with his hands,” said the man, who wished to stay anonymous.

“It came close to her face. She was sitting down in a small amount of space. She was leaning back, to avoid it (the chopstick).”

He added: “I don’t know if it was deliberate but I understand how it was perceived to be threatening.”

His partner told AFL investigators Martin had said: “I’ll f---ing stab you.’’

Her companion said he did not hear those words, but did not believe the woman was fabricating her story and it could have occurred, given the context.

The man told the Herald Sun: “He (Martin) said, ‘Are you going to f---ing dob me in?’, and she replied: ‘Yes, I’ll be calling them (the club)’.

“He then slapped the wall out of frustration. I don’t think it was targeted at her, but it was just near her head.”

He said he also did not hear Martin make a threat to kill at Mr Miyagi restaurant in Chapel St on December 5 — as one other witness reported.

Victoria Police determined no criminal offence took place after the woman declined to make a statement, as it is understood she did not wish to be dragged into a public court case.

Both Richmond and the AFL last week added there was “no evidence’’ to support the allegation Martin threatened the complainant.

AFL Integrity officers on Thursday said Martin had no case to answer.

The club fined him $5000 but then suspended the penalty, saying the damage to his reputation was punishment enough

We can probably also agree that we have only heard her story and don't know what else was said.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I received an account from the other side of the story today… explains the non-penalty better than "it was a cover up" in my opinion.

Dusty was minding his own business… was joking with his chopsticks at his table playing drums , pretending to be a walrus , pretending to catch a fly with his chopstick . However he wasn't in an aggressive mood or offending customers etc, just too pissed and acting silly as we have all done in our lives at some point in time. Some customers even had there photo taken with him and he didn't mind that at all.

Then this woman started badgering him (she was pissed also) she was telling the whole restaurant it was Dustin Martin who played for Richmond and saying that she worked for channel 7 as a producer and he shouldn't be drunk like that, he shouldn't be out drinking etc, she also kept asking him for an interview and he actually told her NO and then he tried to ignore her but she kept going. He was still being silly and it wasn't until she told him 'you're a f****** disgrace" and made sure the whole restaurant heard that he got agitated and retaliated.

loris
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I received an account from the other side of the story today… explains the non-penalty better than "it was a cover up" in my opinion.

Dusty was minding his own business… was joking with his chopsticks at his table playing drums , pretending to be a walrus , pretending to catch a fly with his chopstick . However he wasn't in an aggressive mood or offending customers etc, just too pissed and acting silly as we have all done in our lives at some point in time. Some customers even had there photo taken with him and he didn't mind that at all.

Then this woman started badgering him (she was pissed also) she was telling the whole restaurant it was Dustin Martin who played for Richmond and saying that she worked for channel 7 as a producer and he shouldn't be drunk like that, he shouldn't be out drinking etc, she also kept asking him for an interview and he actually told her NO and then he tried to ignore her but she kept going. He was still being silly and it wasn't until she told him 'you're a f****** disgrace" and made sure the whole restaurant heard that he got agitated and retaliated.
Thanks dragit............... that makes the situation that occurred quite understandable. :wink:

Oh, by the way, your cat avatar, looks like the Adolph Hitler of the feline world!

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I received an account from the other side of the story today… explains the non-penalty better than "it was a cover up" in my opinion.

This doesn't ring true to me. Several of the initial reports were that Martin was banging into other tables and being a nuisance. So then this woman just off the cuff starts badgering poor of Dustin and announces to the restaurant she's a Channel 7 producer - there's a great way to lose a coveted tv job. A person in the tv industry is going to have more smarts and media savvy than that. And then she asks for an interview with an inebriated Martin? None of that makes sense. The two witnesses have gone on record with the AFL and the newspapers and have been consistent. Where has this anonymous report come from?

ripplug66
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:

This doesn't ring true to me. Several of the initial reports were that Martin was banging into other tables and being a nuisance. So then this woman just off the cuff starts badgering poor of Dustin and announces to the restaurant she's a Channel 7 producer - there's a great way to lose a coveted tv job. A person in the tv industry is going to have more smarts and media savvy than that. And then she asks for an interview with an inebriated Martin? None of that makes sense. The two witnesses have gone on record with the AFL and the newspapers and have been consistent. Where has this anonymous report come from?

He also said she was pissed herself so it may make sense if that was the case.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:

Yeah I guess if you believe that all she said was "calm down" and that triggered some violent misogynistic chopstick rage then this version (which is a recount by one of the other diners) would seem outrageous.

Whether you believe it or not, I'm guessing if a few people that were interviewed have said similar things, then it forms the basis of how all of Richmond, the AFL and the Vic Police have completely refuted her accusations. It might be what McLachlan is referring to when he said "we have evidence that specifically refuted it" (the allegations)
http://video.adelaidenow.com.au/v/42703 ... allegation

I reckon you might rate people who work in the TV industry a little too highly though… I've been around plenty and they're neither geniuses or pillars of society.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:So everything she alleged was true according to her dining partner.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/dining ... 0ba1121cc4

But the AFL and Richmond cover it up.

Patently clear that neither Richmond or the AFL care about violence towards women.
Don't think he acrually said that.

anyway.

"Victoria Police determined no criminal offence took place after the woman declined to make a statement, as it is understood she did not wish to be dragged into a public court case.

Both Richmond and the AFL last week added there was “no evidence’’ to support the allegation Martin threatened the complainant.

AFL Integrity officers on Thursday said Martin had no case to answer.

The club fined him $5000 but then suspended the penalty, saying the damage to his reputation was punishment enough"
Oh, they have these do they? Cushy job. Where do I sign up?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
markp
Saintsational Legend

Who said that's what happened?

I think her dinner companion's account sounds pretty honest, it doesn't contradict her story but he admits he got different impressions at times and didn't hear certain pivotal things.

miskycat
Club Player

This seems a much more realist interpretation of matters:

AFL failed community over Dustin Martin affair
January 21, 2016 12:00am
RITA PANAHIHerald Sun

AUSTRALIA’S pre-eminent sporting organisation portrays itself as a community leader in promoting respect and responsibility towards women but the reality is different.

Far from being at the top of the moral totem pole, the AFL has shown its desire to protect the brand trumps all else.

A woman who crossed paths with an aggressive, inebriated star footballer was browbeaten, belittled and maligned for standing up for herself.

It wasn’t long before the well-oiled AFL spin machine changed the narrative and cast the complainant as an unreliable troublemaker and the drunken lout as the victim. It’d almost be funny if it wasn’t despicable.

It’s clear that the staff at AFL House are slow on the uptake; fresh from their disastrous mishandling of the Essendon saga, where they attempted to manipulate the process and outcome, they have again committed a senseless act of self-harm through what appears to be a combination of arrogance, ineptitude and a need to micromanage “the message”.

The Dustin Martin issue could have been over with when the on-baller called the woman he terrified at a Melbourne restaurant, who we will call Tracey, and unequivocally apologised for his aggressive behaviour.

That apology was accepted, as was a reassurance from Martin that he would never again engage in such conduct.

Richmond could have imposed an appropriate sanction such as a fine, suspension and/or counselling and closed the matter to the satisfaction of all parties.

Instead, the club chose to brief against the victim, revealing her identity to sections of the media. Shortly afterwards the AFL joined in with the “integrity unit” taking charge of the investigation.

A football journalist all but divulged the woman’s name on Melbourne radio: her employer, job title and the specific nature of her work were shared with the audience. It wasn’t long before the death threats started.

Tracey was forced to close her social media platforms, but that hasn’t stopped thousands of disgusting attacks against her character on football forums as well as Twitter and Facebook.

What possible reason could there be for revealing the identity of a victim other than to intimidate and discourage other victims from coming forward?

It’s little wonder that Tracey now says she would tell other victims not to make a complaint to the AFL.

There’s been a great deal of scuttlebutt and spin during this episode but here are some facts:

Tracey has not deviated from her story and far from her account being “disproved”, it has been backed up by her dinner companion as well as independent witnesses the Herald Sun spoke to in the days after the event — but the AFL says it has other witnesses that cast doubt on the accounts.

The “threat to kill” claim did not come from Tracey, but was attributed to a diner at a nearby table.

But Tracey says she was threatened with being stabbed with a chopstick and she certainly felt threatened, particularly when Martin cornered her and slapped the wall behind her head.

On more than one occasion Tracey felt pressured to water down her statement. She was presented with an altered statement to sign that played down the events of the evening.

Tracey made it clear to Richmond and the AFL that she did not want to make a police complaint as that would ultimately reveal her identity and expose her to more abuse.

When the AFL did refer the matter to police, Tracey said an integrity officer told her, “we have washed our hands of you”, before adding that a police investigation would “buy the AFL a year”.

Without a statement from Tracey, the police investigation went nowhere as there was little chance of a successful prosecution.

There was no CCTV footage of the incident as the cameras covering that area were not functioning, according to the restaurant owners. The CCTV footage of Martin being escorted out of the premises did not show the clash preceding his eviction.

The AFL and Richmond briefed against Tracey while undertaking an “independent” investigation of the incident, revealing what appears to be an absence of sincerity and integrity.

The AFL’s record of vindictiveness speaks for itself, from pressuring radio station SEN 1116 to sack Grant Thomas (which the AFL denied) to pulling the accreditation of sports writers who deviate from the AFL script.

It’s not just a boys’ club with backward notions about women; it is an insular clique — and it can’t afford that insularity when the footy world already has a tendency to be out of step with community standards; take the sickening article published after former player Nick Stevens was convicted of bashing his former partner.

The piece, which has since been removed from The Age’s website, quoted footy officials and former teammates praising Stevens.

This is, after all, a world in which convicted woman basher Ricky Nixon thrived until he was brought undone by a teenager.

While AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan and Richmond CEO Brendon Gale were worrying about the “distress and harm” to Martin’s reputation, nobody bothered to check on the victim, who has not only been needlessly retraumatised but also cast as a fantasist.

The co-ordinated message by footy officials and eager sections of the media referring to supposed evidence contradicting the victim’s account has been accepted, but neither Richmond nor the AFL can tell us precisely what that contradictory evidence is.

Possibly because, like the AFL’s integrity, it does not exist.

RITA PANAHI IS A HERALD SUN COLUMNIS

saynta
Saintsational Legend

markp
Saintsational Legend

Well that's inconvenient.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Not sure if I'd go with realist to describe that article...

It certainly repeats one side of the story with a lot of emotion and flair...

Interesting that she brings up the st Kilda girl, but fails to mention that the media continued to run with her lies for years without retribution...

I reckon there's two sides to this story, but I guess if you aren't interested in 'Tracey's' role in this altercation at all then rhita's article is perfect.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:Rita is usually on the money.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinio ... dd7c2654ad
Says the Andrew bolt fan...

saynta
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

Says the Andrew bolt fan...
What, are you saying that the most read opinion writer in Australia is sometimes wrong, or what? :wink:

Nothing wrong with being a Bolt fan mate. He is on the money.

Don't see much wrong with Rita's article either.

Enrico_Misso
Saintsational Legend
Location: Moorabbin Chapter of The Royal Society of Hagiographers

Either way you can be sure that all chopsticks have been removed from the Punt Rd kitchen.

The rest of Australia can wander mask-free, socialise, eat out, no curfews, no zoning, no police rings of steel, no illogical inconsistent rules. 
They can even WATCH LIVE FOOTY!
ripplug66
Club Player

Not really. She and Bolt want to make you never buy the HS. Looks like Bolt has lost his TV spot thank goodness. Sometimes I accidentiallt turn it on. Wrecks my day.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

Yeah I guess if you believe that all she said was "calm down" and that triggered some violent misogynistic chopstick rage then this version (which is a recount by one of the other diners) would seem outrageous.

Whether you believe it or not, I'm guessing if a few people that were interviewed have said similar things, then it forms the basis of how all of Richmond, the AFL and the Vic Police have completely refuted her accusations. It might be what McLachlan is referring to when he said "we have evidence that specifically refuted it" (the allegations)
http://video.adelaidenow.com.au/v/42703 ... allegation

I reckon you might rate people who work in the TV industry a little too highly though… I've been around plenty and they're neither geniuses or pillars of society.
So what is this "evidence that specifically refuted it"? This is the what the AFL can do. Just throw out phrases like that without having to back it up. They are the investigators and the judge. Its a handy closed shop they can use to manufacture the outcome they want. "Tracey" says she was pressured to water down her evidence. I could see them doing similar with a witness or the operator of the the restaurant:

"So it sounds to me like he wasn't really being aggressive, more silly"
"Yeah I suppose"

"So he's just being silly and then she gets really aggressive up in his face. Thats pretty provocative isn't it? "
"Yeah I guess it could be" blah blah

"I'd probably get a bit angry if someone was yelling in my face and give them a bit of verbal back, wouldn't you?"
"Yeah"

Bingo - there's your refuting evidence. I don't know if it went down like that, but I have no doubt that is what the AFL "Integrity" unit is capable of.

I have zero level of belief in AFL's due process. This is an organisation that almost certainly tipped off Essendon to "self-report" which when you think of it is an outrageous betrayal of the search for truth over brand management. AD has a conversation with Evans a couple of days before Essendon self-report, Hird says Evans told him that AD told him ASADA are launching a PED investigation (Hird not the most reliable but he has been consistent and passionate about this from the get go), Evans has a break-down and steps down when Hird reveals this publicly and later AD leaves after very unconvincingly denying it. Who knows how many records were destroyed when Essendon knew the investigation was coming? That suited AFL as much as Essendon.

If there was a witness statement that clearly refuted the other witness, I think it would certainly have hit the papers. Journo's were sniffing hard around this in the off-season lull to fill the paper. The Sun would have loved a statement that was in Dustin's favour. But Gill can just chuck out his little phrase and we all must believe. All hail the grand Gillian! The man who only speaks truth!

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I like reading Rita. I don't always agree with her - she falls into the trap most sides of politics do of portraying the other side generically "social justice warriors", "politically correct" blah blah but I guess they have to pander to their audience . But I think she often cuts through hypocrisy, particularly of the left, but wherever she sees it.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Like Rita or not, she's obviously got some sources here, including a line to 'Tracey'.

And the afl definitely have runs on the board re expediency, to say the least.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

That's great bluthy but you have left out the fact the police also cleared him.

Why would a 'closed shop' refer an incident to the police if they were determined to completely manage the outcome?

Surely once they refer an allegation of death threats to the police it is completely out of their hands?

Unless the police are in on it to? where does it end? are the CIA involved?

If I was managing a cover up I would pay her out with a confidentiality agreement, give him a couple of weeks suspension and a fine to appease the masses but hide what actually happened...

markp
Saintsational Legend

What if they referred it to police when they knew she didn't want to go down that path or through that ordeal, and after she'd been given a fair taste of what would lay ahead?

Why didn't they refer it day 1?

What if they figured this woman had some integrity, and offering her a bribe might just backfire?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:That's great bluthy but you have left out the fact the police also cleared him.

Why would a 'closed shop' refer an incident to the police if they were determined to completely manage the outcome?

Surely once they refer an allegation of death threats to the police it is completely out of their hands?

Unless the police are in on it to? where does it end? are the CIA involved?

If I was managing a cover up I would pay her out with a confidentiality agreement, give him a couple of weeks suspension and a fine to appease the masses but hide what actually happened...

The AFL had no choice but to refer it to the police once they lost control of what was happening. they tried to 'manage' it, but the victim wouldn't play ball. By leaking details of the woman and who she is, they allowed the feral public to do the rest. I actually don't think the coppers have done anything wrong at all. I said from the outset that this case will go no where without a victim statement and ppl screaming for the police to get involved were ignorant. - (those people being Editors of major newspapers and respected crime journalists - go figure)

Dragit I can't believe that you even re told that load of baloney version of events re the victim staggering around telling everyone she was TV producer and demanding an interview with Martin, who was meanwhile seated at the bar playing cheeky roguish games with his chopsticks- and that you believed it. You come across as a half intelligent bloke.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Poor Stevie J got 5 weeks for being drunk in public... no 'altercation', was arrested but charges were dropped.