What’s the latest on Jack Steven?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: What’s the latest on Jack Steven?

skeptic wrote: Fri 20 Sep 2019 8:46am
Spinner wrote: Fri 20 Sep 2019 12:43am Gonna be a bit hard to demand a quality pick for a player that barely played this year.

Would walk into Geelong and be among their top 5

Why do ppl feel his value has diminished?
Top 5 in any of his B&F years. But now?
Even if he had played flat out all season he would be now almost at 30, be declining in horsepower so to speak. Sure, he could make up for that with guile.

How many players around this age have had a year out and come back as good? I overreacted saying he would play some seconds at Geelong. Don't mean next year, but later, I think it's on the cards, based on what he have seen, or perhaps I should day, what we haven't seen.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, or he goes down there, loses 5kilos, has a big preseason and rips it up for them for a couple of years.
In his first game back we all saw what he can do....even as underdone as he is.
He could easily play off the bench at 32-33 and provide plenty of value.

Nee!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

A lot of it depends on Jack’s outlook. If he’s committed to getting back to his best he will get there.

What he’s been through in the past year plenty of people recover from and come out the other side good as new.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Fri 20 Sep 2019 8:32am
SaintPav wrote: Fri 20 Sep 2019 7:58am I would have thought he was better supported at the Saints where he is with his mates and people he knows.

Who are his mates at Geelong?

I don't think we have the full picture of what is really going on.

Also, after tonight, is this a track Geelong want to keep going down. It's clearly not working.

You should let Steven know you know what’s best for him...
I don’t need to because he’s got you!

Pretty rich response given how you’re advising the club to bend over to Geelong and just take their scraps. Sounds pretty piss weak to me...

Priceless

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
To the top
SS Life Member

In regard Steven’s absences in 2019, how many games has Daniher played for Essendon and what are they asking for him?

Two First Round Picks was reported

IF Geelong want him, they pay

And if they do not pay, and Steven does not play he is 2 years out of the game and 31 years of age

Good luck with that noting his fitness levels at the end of the 2019 season

So Steven either has an AFL career or he does not

It is down to him

And it is down to Geelong if he wants to break his St Kilda contract and play at Geelong

That is the industry

Nice guys run last

And it sends a message to others

The Club is bigger than one player

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Fri 20 Sep 2019 5:14pm In regard Steven’s absences in 2019, how many games has Daniher played for Essendon and what are they asking for him?

Two First Round Picks was reported

IF Geelong want him, they pay

And if they do not pay, and Steven does not play he is 2 years out of the game and 31 years of age

Good luck with that noting his fitness levels at the end of the 2019 season

So Steven either has an AFL career or he does not

It is down to him

And it is down to Geelong if he wants to break his St Kilda contract and play at Geelong

That is the industry

Nice guys run last

And it sends a message to others

The Club is bigger than one player
Good post I reckon. Agree. If Geelong want him they can bloody well pay. 3rd rounder....pfffft

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Stephen Theodore wrote: Thu 19 Sep 2019 4:50pm
B.M wrote: Thu 19 Sep 2019 1:50pm We take pick 52 for Steven

We are a loser club
Surely we get pick 34 for Jack.....surely
I would have thought their second and and third for Jack would be a minimum. Send 5 and cats third to Freo for Hill and their second. Use the Cats second for Jones. Then one of our 4ths for Ryder if we want him.
Still undervalues Steven but they will do a deal if he says he'll walk if he doesn't get traded. Same as Hill and Ryder to us.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
To the top
SS Life Member

Jack Steven is CONTRACTED to St Kilda for the 2020 season.

So he either plays at St Kilda at the required leval, does not play (and St Kilda take action for breach of Contract) or Geelong make an offer which is TOTALLY acceptable to St Kilda.

If he chooses to not play or merely makes up the numbers at Sandringham in 2020 that will be the end of his AFL career and his earning capacities because 2 years out or virtually 2 years out plus then being 31 years of age in 2021 would indicate a very hard road back to AFL football, particularly at an elite level and where that elite level is why Geelong seek him (after one interrupted season, not two)

They are the options Jack Steven has as a CONTRACTED player.

IF Geelong are so keen, they play ball at St Kilda's behest, exclusively.

Steven has questions to ask himself courtesy of executing a CONTRACT, and not delivering under that CONTRACT in 2019.

St Kilda has, to date, supported Steven

But it should not be screwed by Steven in unison with Geelong.

You play hard ball - and you send a message to players and to the competition.

St Kilda is not a benevolent fund.

St Kilda FC comes first before ANY player.

Because St Kilda FC is perpetual.

Players are temporary.

Saint 58
Club Player

+1

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
Vazelos
Club Player

He can’t afford to have another poor year and go the market out of contract. He would be turning 31 with 2 poor years and would demand little on salary. He will be losing a good part of his money to his separation with ongoing payments for his child... unless he truly is mentally unwell he will bounce back next year because he has to...
Don’t forget he wanted out to geelong end of 2018 pre his mental health issues so we can’t roll over and be exploited here in my view..

spert
Saintsational Legend

Just take whatever from Geelong and do a trade if Steven wants out. Saints supporters rate Jack more highly than other clubs do, and in reality he is at the tail-end of his career, has issues, and has hardly contributed to the 2019 season.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

They will be more desperate for him now

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Fri 20 Sep 2019 8:57pm Jack Steven is CONTRACTED to St Kilda for the 2020 season.

So he either plays at St Kilda at the required leval, does not play (and St Kilda take action for breach of Contract) or Geelong make an offer which is TOTALLY acceptable to St Kilda.

If he chooses to not play or merely makes up the numbers at Sandringham in 2020 that will be the end of his AFL career and his earning capacities because 2 years out or virtually 2 years out plus then being 31 years of age in 2021 would indicate a very hard road back to AFL football, particularly at an elite level and where that elite level is why Geelong seek him (after one interrupted season, not two)

Steven has questions to ask himself courtesy of executing a CONTRACT, and not delivering under that CONTRACT in 2019.

Players are temporary.
Hardball may have worked 20 to 30 years ago but the landscape has changed, the message you want to send is the club owns the player and that is not well received by the modern day player. You’re hung up on a clown from the 60’s man 😂

The players don’t play for the jumper, they don’t respond to fire and brimstone, they embrace a culture of support players coming and going, that is the modern club environment.

That is the new elite sports environment. I have family involved in elite sport and just had someone move interstate to pursue greater development opportunity. The incumbent club and coach were not upset at losing the competitor, instead supported and facilitated the move and sent a senior coach interstate to provide a hand over at the new environment.

The message the modern day player wants is to play at a club who will work with you to provide a solution that benefits the person above all else when it comes to internal support, trades and club movement. In your model we would be giving up 3 first round picks for the contracted Brad Hill if Freo played hard ball.

If Steven wants out, get a fair market deal and move on.
The make them pay, bend them over deals do you no long term good. A second round pick looks a good return. Rutagelea straight swap will do me as we seem to be in the market for a ruck/forward. Haven’t seen enough of Constable to understand why he is viewed as the next Patrick Cripps on this site.

Steven served the club well, but if he wants out its see you later and thanks for your service.

Your methods went out with hair bands and flailed trousers TTT, it’s the new age of love, support and players wellness above all else.

If the events of last week taught anything it is that mental illness needs to be treated extremely seriously and holding Steven to his contract is not the right thing to do by the person.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 21 Sep 2019 10:16am
To the top wrote: Fri 20 Sep 2019 8:57pm Jack Steven is CONTRACTED to St Kilda for the 2020 season.

Players are temporary.
Hardball may have worked 20 to 30 years ago but the landscape has changed, the message you want to send is the club owns the player and that is not well received by the modern day player. You’re hung up on a clown from the 60’s man 😂

The players don’t play for the jumper, they don’t respond to fire and brimstone, they embrace a culture of support players coming and going, that is the modern club environment.

That is the new elite sports environment. I have family involved in elite sport and just had someone move interstate to pursue greater development opportunity. The incumbent club and coach were not upset at losing the competitor, instead supported and facilitated the move and sent a senior coach interstate to provide a hand over at the new environment.

The message the modern day player wants is to play at a club who will work with you to provide a solution that benefits the person above all else when it comes to internal support, trades and club movement. In your model we would be giving up 3 first round picks for the contracted Brad Hill if Freo played hard ball.

If Steven wants out, get a fair market deal and move on.
The make them pay, bend them over deals do you no long term good. A second round pick looks a good return. Rutagelea straight swap will do me as we seem to be in the market for a ruck/forward. Haven’t seen enough of Constable to understand why he is viewed as the next Patrick Cripps on this site.

Steven served the club well, but if he wants out its see you later and thanks for your service.

Your methods went out with hair bands and flailed trousers TTT, it’s the new age of love, support and players wellness above all else.

If the events of last week taught anything it is that mental illness needs to be treated extremely seriously and holding Steven to his contract is not the right thing to do by the person.
Good post Joffa. Listening to the post match interviews last night I think it was Houli who gave a glimpse of the culture inside Richmond. The players re supported to enjoy their footy and to become better individuals as men.

Constable I don’t think is viewed as the next Patrick Cripps, just as a promising young mid-fielder who would be worth a punt.

Lots of different views of Stuv’s value. This article on the AFL website this morning suggests that Stuv could at his best give Geelong something significant.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-21/ ... -gf-chance

“Four-time St Kilda club champion Jack Steven is on the radar and could help fill the Kelly gap at his best, while Charlie Constable should receive more opportunity”.

silverhalo
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Thu 19 Sep 2019 10:04pm
Rubyjo wrote: Thu 19 Sep 2019 8:22pm So constable is a mate of Battles...
And the Kings. And Clavarino.
Ex Haileybury boys.
Watched all of those boys play at Haileybury......might have to rename us Old Haileybury at this rate :D

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

silverhalo wrote: Sat 21 Sep 2019 10:25am
st.byron wrote: Thu 19 Sep 2019 10:04pm
Rubyjo wrote: Thu 19 Sep 2019 8:22pm So constable is a mate of Battles...
And the Kings. And Clavarino.
Ex Haileybury boys.
Watched all of those boys play at Haileybury......might have to rename us Old Haileybury at this rate :D
Did you work there? I’m an OH boy and played Ammos for them.

silverhalo
Club Player

No, both my sons went there (junior's still there) so I've watched a lot of these boys play.

silverhalo
Club Player

Steven for Constable and third rounder.....get it done

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Geelong needs to come to the table on this. It can't be just we win, you lose. If not, they are just being opportunistic pricks.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
longtimesaint
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sat 21 Sep 2019 10:57am Geelong needs to come to the table on this. It can't be just we win, you lose. If not, they are just being opportunistic pricks.
In other words being their normal selves.
I took great delight in watching Richmond smash my most hated team last night.
I would not trade Steven to Geelong as I would rather him go anywhere else.

One year will be our year
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 21 Sep 2019 10:57am Geelong needs to come to the table on this. It can't be just we win, you lose. If not, they are just being opportunistic pricks.
i wish we were

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote: Sat 21 Sep 2019 11:18am
can't fathom how someone can hate a side more than the Skunks.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sat 21 Sep 2019 12:10pm
I don’t mind the Skunks. West Coast are my Filth.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Sat 21 Sep 2019 12:12pm
I don’t mind the Skunks. West Coast are my Filth.
WC are a million miles away..living amongst Skunk supporters is is the bane of my life.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

I hate Geelong more than the filth.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.