Great Video On the Saints Pre Season

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Great Video On the Saints Pre Season

There is a great video on the AFL website about our pre season.

Unfortunately, no link so I can't post it here but I would urge everyone to take a look.

Of course it is St Kilda propaganda, but this video is a bit different from the rest.

You'll see what I mean.

Here is my take:

Firstly, you get to see Gears and Robbo running 400's. Twelve of them to be precise.

Just to see Robbo back doing footy stuff, does the heart good I reckon. If you will pardon the pun.

Of course, he has a long way to go. He's not the only player facing that prospect.

But it is just great to see Robbo back with a realistic prospect of playing footy again.

Secondly, another insight into our coach.

The more I see of Ratts the more there is to like and admire. You'll (hopefully) see it as well when you watch the video.

Just the way he talks to the players.

Similarly there is a candid moment from Lethlean talking about our new recruits, what we need to do and where we need to go.

Clearly, there is a big, big emphasis in this pre season on skill improvement like kicking.

How overdue is that as a concept? How great is it for the club to acknowledge and address it?

Some other observations: Everytime I see Jack Bytel my belief gets stronger that this guy is a genuine A grader.

I was wrong once before. I thought that of Blake Acres and he never lived up to the billing.

With Bytel, the way he carries himself, this kid could be a superstar.

I don't say it lightly and I do say it without any real evidence.

My gut is telling me he's going to surprise us all.

It's ridiculous to make predictions about what lies ahead for us in 2020 and I'm not going to do that.

However, I will say, so far, I like what I'm seeing about everything and you should as well.
Last edited by damienc on Thu 05 Dec 2019 4:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: Great Video On the Saints Pre Season

Thanks for posting Damien.

Super impressed with Ratten. If I was a racehorse I’d be called Optimism Rising. Interesting observation from Lethlean that in the past with regard to building connection, the club had been “half in and half out”. Culture, culture and culture. So important. Also his comments about bringing people into the club with premiership experience.
Last edited by st.byron on Fri 06 Dec 2019 8:35am, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Excellent video. Well worth taking the time to watch it.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Get around ‘em!

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Watch This Now!!!

Thanks for posting; the palpable optimism around the club is infectious.

Always loyal
thecrevis
Club Player

Video has been removed. Anyone know why?

SaintJohn1956
Club Player

Still there this morning - not on that link - go to AFL and then Video

Saint John
saynta
Saintsational Legend

thecrevis wrote: Fri 06 Dec 2019 7:01am Video has been removed. Anyone know why?
https://www.saints.com.au/video/538841/ ... 5514508001

DJ Higgins
Club Player

I watched it this morning but from AFL website directly.

While it was all very positive and full of hope it will be no different to most other clubs. What I want to see is our new game plan and improved skills and I am realistic in the improvement level and time for implementation.

I think 2020 will be a year when we don't improve much on the ladder but we improve in aspects of our game. Give new recruits a chance to settle in and king and bytel will need a year at least to get going .

As long as the long bombs stop, the over handballing stops the inside fifties hit targets and we kick better than 50/50 at goals I'll be wrapped

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

DJ Higgins said :
"As long as the long bombs stop, the over handballing stops the inside fifties hit targets and we kick better than 50/50 at goals I'll be wrapped."

From me - here,here! Great video. It shows you that the vibes are good within the Club.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote: Fri 06 Dec 2019 4:26pm DJ Higgins said :
"As long as the long bombs stop, the over handballing stops the inside fifties hit targets and we kick better than 50/50 at goals I'll be wrapped."

From me - here,here! Great video. It shows you that the vibes are good within the Club.
Hear ,hear. FFS :roll:

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I enjoyed watching it and it’s great PR but that’s all it is.

We just need to crack 13 wins.

Amongst other things, the key is a good improvement from Billings, Sinclair, Long, Clark, Coffield; more output from Hannebery and the impact of the recruits.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 06 Dec 2019 6:07pm I enjoyed watching it and it’s great PR but that’s all it is.

We just need to crack 13 wins.

Amongst other things, the key is a good improvement from Billings, Sinclair, Long, Clark, Coffield; more output from Hannebery and the impact of the recruits.
Plus getting good output from last years injured players. Roberton, Austin and Geary for starters.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Only just watched this (it popped up on my facebook feed). What's particularly noticeable to me is how limiting it must have been for the last two coaches trying to avoid minimising the achievements of the 2009/2010 brigade that were still at the club. In this video, those shackles are clearly off. They're talking about completely reinventing the club, basically. Which may be why I feel (personally) so completely disconnected from them this preseason for the first time ever. It's not me, I've realised - it's them. They've disconnected from me - I'm St Kilda past and just represent failure to the new powers that be around the club.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Tue 10 Dec 2019 8:42am Only just watched this (it popped up on my facebook feed). What's particularly noticeable to me is how limiting it must have been for the last two coaches trying to avoid minimising the achievements of the 2009/2010 brigade that were still at the club. In this video, those shackles are clearly off. They're talking about completely reinventing the club, basically. Which may be why I feel (personally) so completely disconnected from them this preseason for the first time ever. It's not me, I've realised - it's them. They've disconnected from me - I'm St Kilda past and just represent failure to the new powers that be around the club.
It shows how we effectively wasted the whole of last season by having Cho in charge for most of it.

Getting rid of GOAT made me almost as happy as snagging Hill. It’s a new start for sure.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Who do you mean by GOAT? Riewoldt?