Inside story on last year's 5 big trades

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Inside story on last year's 5 big trades

damienc
Club Player

Re: Inside story on last year's 5 big trades

Excellent.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Hi Saynta - that article is paywalled. Love to read it but unlikely to subscribe for a single article.

If you could copy and paste - that'd be appreciated.

Cheers,

SM

Go you red, black & white warriors
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 16 Jun 2020 3:38pm
Hi Saynta - that article is paywalled. Love to read it but unlikely to subscribe for a single article.

Cheers,

SM

St Kilda
Inside story behind St Kilda pulling off five big trades last year, including securing star Bradley Hill

It was touted as an “amazing” trade period as five key players landed at Moorabbin. This is the inside story of how St Kilda pulled off five bumper trades, including Bradley Hill, that has transformed the team.
Lauren Wood, Herald Sun
Subscriber only

It was in a dark corner of the beachfront Stokehouse restaurant that the deal was all but sealed.

But they were almost caught out.

Over King George whiting and maybe a couple of ales, then-Dockers speedster Bradley Hill and his partner Samantha joined St Kilda list boss James Gallagher at the bayside hotspot, a jewel in the crown of the suburb from which the Saints take their name.

Coincidence? Unlikely.

Hill, then contracted at Fremantle, had stayed in Melbourne after a late-season Dockers game.

There had been a call to his manager, Colin Young, earlier in the year – calls that eventually progressed through to Hill, once the triple-premiership Hawk-come-Docker had expressed his interest in becoming a Saint.

Samantha was keen to return to Melbourne, as was he.

He and Gallagher would exchange messages on occasion, with the Stokehouse dinner one of the final opportunities to convince.

“It was actually pretty funny,” Hill recalled.

“We were sitting there — me, ‘Gags’ and my partner having dinner.

“And then (former Hawk) Brad Sewell walked in.”

Hill didn’t introduce Gallagher – he knew Sewell worked in the media, and laughs that he wasn’t going to take the risk.

A few weeks later, with trade period in full swing, the feed of whiting long before and negotiations heating up, Hill admits nerves set in.

“Freo were playing it pretty hard,” he said.

“So I was a little bit stressed for a bit. Eventually they got the deal done. I got the nod from Freo one day that said, ‘we’re going to let it happen’.”

It wasn’t easy.

Pick six had been in play, earmarked to go to the Dockers as part of the Hill trade, before things took a twist and the Saints split the pick.

It turned out to be a masterstroke that helped them land not only Hill, but four other key assets in their most fruitful trade period in recent memory.

It was turned into picks 12 and 18, exchanged to Greater Western Sydney for picks six and 59.

The former pair plus a future third-round pick went to Port Adelaide in exchange for Paddy Ryder – Hill’s cousin – Dougal Howard, pick 10 and a future fourth-round pick.

Pick 10 then became part of the Hill trade, with the Dockers receiving Blake Acres, picks 10, 58 and a future second and fourth-round pick.

It was a huge bounty, with Hill throwing in a few requests of his own along the way.

“I was giving them a little hint that ‘Ratts’ (Brett Ratten) had better be the coach,” Hill laughed.

“He coached me for three years. Roughy (Jarryd Roughead) was talking to me, because he was at that stage probably coming, so I said ‘you better come! If you want me to come, that is.’

“I was talking to Paddy, too. I reckon they might have signed Paddy first, and then when I got done, it just kind of rolled through, it was me, Jonesy (Zak Jones), Buts (Dan Butler), Dougal.”

The Saints’ ability to turn their initial hand into a quintet could only be labelled as “awesome” by North Melbourne premiership player and Fox Footy commentator David King at the time.

“(List manager) James Gallagher has done a fantastic job,” he said.

“They’ve got him (Bradley Hill) effectively for going back four picks, from six to 10, and for a future second rounder – which is in a weak pool (in 2020).”

Saints great Leigh Montagna called it a “great win”, lauding the work of Gallagher and football boss Simon Lethlean, who – despite a few nervous moments – played the long game and reaped the rewards.

Gallagher – who played 38 games for the Crows between 2001 and 2004 – was appointed as list manager at Moorabbin in August 2018.

From Macquarie Bank, no less, where he’d served as Victoria’s head of professional services in banking.

Last year marked his first full tilt at a trade period, and with “a lot of balls in the air”, Lethlean said, the hard yards started early in the season.

“It was a piece of work,” Lethlean said.

“Gallagher led it all and I wouldn’t say we were surprised, but we didn’t necessarily expect all of those targeted players to select the Saints.

“When players nominate you these days, you tend to be able to get it done if you can find the tools to get it done, but we didn’t have many, so things had to fall our way for it to all work out.
James Gallagher entered last year’s trade period as one of the newcomers, but ended up the biggest winner. Picture: AFL Photos

“List managers are on the go at all times now, whether it’s negotiating your current listed players and their contract renewals, and in those discussions they’re having conversations with player managers all the time about who’s coming out elsewhere or looking for opportunities elsewhere. Once you piece together all those opportunities along with what you think your list needs, those conversations can start a long way out.

“Targeting Brad Hill started a long way out, even though he was in contract. You ask the question about that the Saints need speed and ball use and he’s the one, and when you’ve got Ratts and Rathy (David Rath) and Roughy, you might be a chance. Those conversations start a long way out, but list managers and managers have those conversations, so it’s kind of … the rest of the club keep out of that until actual opportunities arise, really.”

Lethean offered plenty of support, as did Graeme “Gubby” Allen, in what Lethlean describes as a “three-way attack”.

“Gags ran the whole thing, he just gets good support from Gubby and I, just like I’m sure other list managers call upon the support of people they trust along the way. He ran it and he’ll continue to run it, but he might have a larger profile upon which to be more of the mouthpiece for it going forward,” he said.

“He was pretty exhausted by the end of it, because he had a lot of balls in the air, and a lot of them had to drop at the right time for things to work out. There was stressfulness around some of those.”

The balls all had to drop at exactly the right time – that’s the art form of trade period.

When players say they want to come, it’s usually party time.

But for the Saints crew, it was a matter of making each deal happen – and how they would.

“I didn’t lose as much sleep as Gags would have, because he was the one that had to keep each of these moving along with the other list managers or the player managers … I was updated as required,” Lethlean explained.

“I was, closer to the end, wondering how we were going to get enough picks to get it all done … you lose a bit of sleep about how it’s all going to play out.”

He backed his man in, describing ‘Gags’ as a “very sharp … great operator”.

“But for a younger person to carry that load – and it’s so public now, when four or five players say they want to come to the Saints, and everyone’s talking about how the hell we’re going to do it, it’s a little bit stressful,” he said.

“So for him to get that all done … with some good advice and help from Gubby who’s aggressive and was very supportive and made sure that he was the right conversations were happening. He’s got a lot more work to go to make sure the list’s in the best shape we can to be able to have a crack, so he’s a very important element, as all list managers are now.
THE INTERVENTION

There was only one point where Lethlean and Allan really had to step in.

It’s what Lethlean called “the intervention”, staged with about 10 days to go of the trade period when the power of work required had suddenly dawned.

“He’s funny, Gags … he’s pretty easy to read and it was pretty obvious that he needed a beer one Sunday,” Lethlean laughed.

“I think the final one had dropped and Howard said he wanted to come, and I think it all dawned on Gags that it was going to be pretty hard work. So Gubby and I met him at the Malvern Hotel and had a fair few beers there together to just actually relax for an afternoon, forget about how hard the next few days are going to be and actually give him a chance to unwind and complain and have some expletives and everything else.

“We actually got that out of the way before the hard work was finished off, because it was looking hard to be able to trade Jack and difficult to be able to get Dougal done, and it was getting hard with Freo with Hill.

“So we had a bit of a blowout with a week to go, just to settle the nerves a bit, which was good. We still refer to it now – whenever Gags or me or Gubby are stressed, we suggest there might need to be ‘a Malvern session’.”

THE FINISH LINE

With five in hand at the end of the trade period, the Saints were declared the big winners, targeting specific players and shuffling their hand to get them to Moorabbin.

“They have absolutely won this trade period,” Montagna declared.

Lethlean said he wasn’t surprised by the feat, but doesn’t feel like “any got away”.

“More likely was that Howard or Jones was going to get away, and we got them in the end,” he said.

“I guess this year things just fell our way. It’d be unusual for them all to fall your way again, or every year, that’s for sure, so you won’t expect to get all of your wishlist done.

“At the same time, Jack Steven leaves and Josh Bruce leaves and they’re both really loved players from the club, and really good, impactful players, too. So you don’t get for nothing. You give some things up."

“Absolutely (I was proud of Gallagher).”

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Thank you for the cut n paste

Go you red, black & white warriors
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 16 Jun 2020 3:47pm
No worries mate, Happy to oblige.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Inside story behind St Kilda pulling off five big trades last year, including securing star Bradley Hill
It was touted as an “amazing” trade period as five key players landed at Moorabbin. This is the inside story of how St Kilda pulled off five bumper trades, including Bradley Hill, that has transformed the team.

It was in a dark corner of the beachfront Stokehouse restaurant that the deal was all but sealed.

Over King George whiting and maybe a couple of ales, then-Dockers speedster Bradley Hill and his partner Samantha joined St Kilda list boss James Gallagher at the bayside hotspot, a jewel in the crown of the suburb from which the Saints take their name.

Coincidence? Unlikely.

Hill, then contracted at Fremantle, had stayed in Melbourne after a late-season Dockers game.

There had been a call to his manager, Colin Young, earlier in the year – calls that eventually progressed through to Hill, once the triple-premiership Hawk-come-Docker had expressed his interest in becoming a Saint.

He and Gallagher would exchange messages on occasion, with the Stokehouse dinner one of the final opportunities to convince.

Hill didn’t introduce Gallagher – he knew Sewell worked in the media, and laughs that he wasn’t going to take the risk.

A few weeks later, with trade period in full swing, the feed of whiting long before and negotiations heating up, Hill admits nerves set in.

“So I was a little bit stressed for a bit. Eventually they got the deal done. I got the nod from Freo one day that said, ‘we’re going to let it happen’.”

It wasn’t easy.

Pick six had been in play, earmarked to go to the Dockers as part of the Hill trade, before things took a twist and the Saints split the pick.

It turned out to be a masterstroke that helped them land not only Hill, but four other key assets in their most fruitful trade period in recent memory.

It was turned into picks 12 and 18, exchanged to Greater Western Sydney for picks six and 59.

The former pair plus a future third-round pick went to Port Adelaide in exchange for Paddy Ryder – Hill’s cousin – Dougal Howard, pick 10 and a future fourth-round pick.

Pick 10 then became part of the Hill trade, with the Dockers receiving Blake Acres, picks 10, 58 and a future second and fourth-round pick.

It was a huge bounty, with Hill throwing in a few requests of his own along the way.

“I was giving them a little hint that ‘Ratts’ (Brett Ratten) had better be the coach,” Hill laughed.

“He coached me for three years. Roughy (Jarryd Roughead) was talking to me, because he was at that stage probably coming, so I said ‘you better come! If you want me to come, that is.’

“I was talking to Paddy, too. I reckon they might have signed Paddy first, and then when I got done, it just kind of rolled through, it was me, Jonesy (Zak Jones), Buts (Dan Butler), Dougal.”

The Saints’ ability to turn their initial hand into a quintet could only be labelled as “awesome” by North Melbourne premiership player and Fox Footy commentator David King at the time.

“They’ve got him (Bradley Hill) effectively for going back four picks, from six to 10, and for a future second rounder – which is in a weak pool (in 2020).”

Saints great Leigh Montagna called it a “great win”, lauding the work of Gallagher and football boss Simon Lethlean, who – despite a few nervous moments – played the long game and reaped the rewards.

THE NEW BLOKE ON THE BLOCK
Gallagher – who played 38 games for the Crows between 2001 and 2004 – was appointed as list manager at Moorabbin in August 2018.

From Macquarie Bank, no less, where he’d served as Victoria’s head of professional services in banking.

Last year marked his first full tilt at a trade period, and with “a lot of balls in the air”, Lethlean said, the hard yards started early in the season.

“Gallagher led it all and I wouldn’t say we were surprised, but we didn’t necessarily expect all of those targeted players to select the Saints.

“When players nominate you these days, you tend to be able to get it done if you can find the tools to get it done, but we didn’t have many, so things had to fall our way for it to all work out.

“List managers are on the go at all times now, whether it’s negotiating your current listed players and their contract renewals, and in those discussions they’re having conversations with player managers all the time about who’s coming out elsewhere or looking for opportunities elsewhere. Once you piece together all those opportunities along with what you think your list needs, those conversations can start a long way out.

“Targeting Brad Hill started a long way out, even though he was in contract. You ask the question about that the Saints need speed and ball use and he’s the one, and when you’ve got Ratts and Rathy (David Rath) and Roughy, you might be a chance. Those conversations start a long way out, but list managers and managers have those conversations, so it’s kind of … the rest of the club keep out of that until actual opportunities arise, really.”

Lethean offered plenty of support, as did Graeme “Gubby” Allen, in what Lethlean describes as a “three-way attack”.

“Gags ran the whole thing, he just gets good support from Gubby and I, just like I’m sure other list managers call upon the support of people they trust along the way. He ran it and he’ll continue to run it, but he might have a larger profile upon which to be more of the mouthpiece for it going forward,” he said.

“He was pretty exhausted by the end of it, because he had a lot of balls in the air, and a lot of them had to drop at the right time for things to work out. There was stressfulness around some of those.”

The balls all had to drop at exactly the right time – that’s the art form of trade period.

But for the Saints crew, it was a matter of making each deal happen – and how they would.

“I didn’t lose as much sleep as Gags would have, because he was the one that had to keep each of these moving along with the other list managers or the player managers … I was updated as required,” Lethlean explained.

“I was, closer to the end, wondering how we were going to get enough picks to get it all done … you lose a bit of sleep about how it’s all going to play out.”

“But for a younger person to carry that load – and it’s so public now, when four or five players say they want to come to the Saints, and everyone’s talking about how the hell we’re going to do it, it’s a little bit stressful,” he said.

“So for him to get that all done … with some good advice and help from Gubby who’s aggressive and was very supportive and made sure that he was the right conversations were happening. He’s got a lot more work to go to make sure the list’s in the best shape we can to be able to have a crack, so he’s a very important element, as all list managers are now.

THE INTERVENTION

It’s what Lethlean called “the intervention”, staged with about 10 days to go of the trade period when the power of work required had suddenly dawned.

“He’s funny, Gags … he’s pretty easy to read and it was pretty obvious that he needed a beer one Sunday,” Lethlean laughed.

“I think the final one had dropped and Howard said he wanted to come, and I think it all dawned on Gags that it was going to be pretty hard work. So Gubby and I met him at the Malvern Hotel and had a fair few beers there together to just actually relax for an afternoon, forget about how hard the next few days are going to be and actually give him a chance to unwind and complain and have some expletives and everything else.

“We actually got that out of the way before the hard work was finished off, because it was looking hard to be able to trade Jack and difficult to be able to get Dougal done, and it was getting hard with Freo with Hill.

“So we had a bit of a blowout with a week to go, just to settle the nerves a bit, which was good. We still refer to it now – whenever Gags or me or Gubby are stressed, we suggest there might need to be ‘a Malvern session’.”

THE FINISH LINE
With five in hand at the end of the trade period, the Saints were declared the big winners, targeting specific players and shuffling their hand to get them to Moorabbin.

Lethlean said he wasn’t surprised by the feat, but doesn’t feel like “any got away”.

“More likely was that Howard or Jones was going to get away, and we got them in the end,” he said.

“I guess this year things just fell our way. It’d be unusual for them all to fall your way again, or every year, that’s for sure, so you won’t expect to get all of your wishlist done.

“At the same time, Jack Steven leaves and Josh Bruce leaves and they’re both really loved players from the club, and really good, impactful players, too. So you don’t get for nothing. You give some things up.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Darth Vader
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 16 Jun 2020 3:48pm
Saintmatt wrote: Tue 16 Jun 2020 3:47pm
No worries mate, Happy to oblige.
Great article, thanks from me also.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 16 Jun 2020 3:45pm “At the same time, Jack Steven leaves and Josh Bruce leaves and they’re both really loved players from the club, and really good, impactful players, too. So you don’t get for nothing. You give some things up."
Poor 8cres. Can't even get a mention from Leftlean. :cry:

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Tue 16 Jun 2020 11:23pm
saynta wrote: Tue 16 Jun 2020 3:45pm “At the same time, Jack Steven leaves and Josh Bruce leaves and they’re both really loved players from the club, and really good, impactful players, too. So you don’t get for nothing. You give some things up."
Poor 8cres. Can't even get a mention from Leftlean. :cry:
Apparently he mentioned him today. 'Acres is injured again' he said with a chuckle.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 16 Jun 2020 3:45pm
Saintmatt wrote: Tue 16 Jun 2020 3:38pm

Cheers,

SM

St Kilda

Lauren Wood, Herald Sun
Subscriber only

Coincidence? Unlikely.

It wasn’t easy.

James Gallagher entered last year’s trade period as one of the newcomers, but ended up the biggest winner. Picture: AFL Photos

THE INTERVENTION

THE FINISH LINE

“At the same time, Jack Steven leaves and Josh Bruce leaves and they’re both really loved players from the club, and really good, impactful players, too. So you don’t get for nothing. You give some things up."

Thanks heaps for posting! Was going crazy trying to find an unblocked link.