Backline

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Backline

Must say I am very happy with the way our young backline is shaping up - only one player yesterday in our backline rotation had played more than 50 games

Paton - 21yo / 20 games
Howard - 24yo / 48 games
Wilkie - 24yo / 26 games
Clark - 21yo / 33 games
Carlisle - 28yo / 137 games
Long - 22yo / 34 games
Coffield - 20yo / 21 games

As the famous saying goes "Defence Wins Championships" - and if our young backline continues to gel, improve and hold up this will allow our midfield to take on a more attacking mindset which in turn puts huge pressure on opposition teams and nullify their own attacking set ups.

The Tigers are a prime recent example of a team having a super defence enabling them to pile on attack pressure.

Just need to find now that bull goal kicking mid and get King on the roids :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Re: Backline

Coffield has copped a bit of unfair stick on here but his cool head and decision making are starting to be noticed. Paton ditto.

Saint supporter since '62
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 28 Jun 2020 8:45pm Coffield has copped a bit of unfair stick on here but his cool head and decision making are starting to be noticed. Paton ditto.
Coffield needs to be persevered with - he was really hitting his straps last year before he got injured v Fremantle and yesterday was an improvement on previous weeks.

He has been a bit fumbly in previous games this season but this can likely put down to perceived pressure which he needs to get a handle on - yesterday was better and his composure should continue to improve with more senior gametime

He has a lovely long kick as well and should back himself to hit distant targets and clear defence.

Also as much as I love Clark he dinked a few kicks yesterday which didn't come off and he too should look down field further that said I m not going to begrudge him as his creativity is a huge plus.

Paton is no nonsense - solid one grab mark, good kick, nice speed, strong in the contest and doesn't make many mistakes - perfect replacement for Geary.

We will obviously need to replace Carlisle at some stage given his age however we have time to either continue to develop from within or trade in - if we can convince and nab Ben King in the next few years he could be the one given he played most of his junior career down back (even though he is currently playing forward for GC)

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Coffield needs to back his foot skills.
Keep playing him, just starting too believe in himself.

Nee!
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

The backline, as with the whole side, will only improve as they play more games together. If you look at the best sides they have a core group that know each other’s games inside out. Probably why Ratten won’t want to make wholesale changes from week to week. He’ll cop the odd thumping eg The pies game, if he thinks they are gelling.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

What I like about our backline at the moment is it has a number of play makers back there in Long, Coffield, Clarke... and though it’s early days so far in 2020, Ratten has persevered with them even if they’ve looked wobbly at times.

Certainly Long hasn’t looked as good as the first 1/2 of rd 1 but is getting there and people were calling for Coffield’s head after rd1 and 3 respectively.

He’s also persevered with Paton which I think is the right move because he is a solid young player that looks like he’ll go on to have a good career... and even Hind got a run there for a while and will hopefully have the opportunity to earn his spot back.

I like the balance between giving players an opportunity and backing them over a few rounds and rotating through if they’ve struggled ala Hind.
For the last 3 years, Newnes and Savage seemed like automatics no matter how badly they played... right now we have Savage, Roberton and Webster all back there looking to come in, and possibly all good enough to be in the 22. Let them forcibly take their spot if they earn it

St Plugger
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Sun 28 Jun 2020 8:31pm Just need to find now that bull goal kicking mid and get King on the roids :twisted:
We've already got him. I really liked his work as a Ruck Rover yesterday - Josh Battle!!

To the top
SS Life Member

We have Austin and Clarovino on the List as well as potential KPP defenders

Coffield is class - and 191cm

His first 20 minutes v Fremantle until unfortunately injured showcased his skills

It was always my education that you build from the back and we are (in my opinion at least) very well positioned on the basis of their youth and skills

Clark and Coffield were Drafted where they were for a reason - both top 10 picks

Paton has come from nowhere and Long is a favourite with the powers that be for very good reason

Wilkie has turned out an inspired choice from North Adelaide

And our KPP defenders are both class

saintbob
SS Life Member

We need Coffield and Clark in our midfield before the end of the year, that’s where we really need their class in there.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

While I didn’t see it, I heard the radio call about one of Carlisle’s great marks yesterday, right when we were really under the pump with them coming hard in the third. Very glad he is there. I see him as a thirty one/two year old , like a better version of Russell Morris ( no knock on RM) and I hope his career sustains itself.

I noticed Clarko really venting his spleen in the postgame presser today...says the game is too defensively favored. I think they will listen, so can you imagine if they go harder at the ball carrier? Quicker reflexes and sharp disposal will be a priority. Sounds like we are better equipped in that scenario than we would have been a few seasons ago.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 29 Jun 2020 12:59am While I didn’t see it, I heard the radio call about one of Carlisle’s great marks yesterday, right when we were really under the pump with them coming hard in the third. Very glad he is there. I see him as a thirty one/two year old , like a better version of Russell Morris ( no knock on RM) and I hope his career sustains itself.

I noticed Clarko really venting his spleen in the postgame presser today...says the game is too defensively favored. I think they will listen, so can you imagine if they go harder at the ball carrier? Quicker reflexes and sharp disposal will be a priority. Sounds like we are better equipped in that scenario than we would have been a few seasons ago.
Clarko sounded punch drunk and was rambling a bit - reckon he is starting to lose the passion for coaching especially now that he has an average side which could be at least another 10 years away from a Premiership

In one breathe he moans about umpires not paying the tackle and then in the next saying its not the umpires fault ....... what is it?

Back in the day you could argue that defensive efforts by players were few and far between (mainly due to lack of fitness) hence large scores but players these days are so much fitter and conditioned (than 10 or 20 years ago) that they can cover the field quickly leading to more pressure on the ball carrier leading to more mistakes and more congestion.

Sure pay the tackle but not sure its going to lead to more goals - skill level will though

Re: Saints v Tiges - we saw some fantastic movement of the ball that lead to goals - we had 25 goals in practically 3 quarters of footy given the shorter COVID quarters