Dreadful 3rd Quarter

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintkev
Club Player

Dreadful 3rd Quarter

That was an terrible, mistake riddled quarter of football. Hopefully the last will be better!

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: Dreadful 3rd Quarter

This is the worst match I've seen all year
*correction: 2nd worst, after the Pussies game

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saints second half was really poor.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Very disappointing second half, missed a golden opportunity for a huge percentage boost.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Very disappointing after such a positive start & I realise a wins a win but we really let ourselves down after half time should have been a real % boost to make up for the Geelong debacle

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think the reality is that we’re missing an enforcer type in the middle.

Another Jones like player that can get the ball in a pack, bust through and get us past the congestion.

It’s consistently what has happened against us in the third.

Opposition keeps winning the ball... we struggle to move it and can’t break through with any degree of momentum so we kick to contests going forward and it comes back with extra and it’s all our defenders can do to kick it out into space.

We’re lacking a David Armitage type when he was in his prime form and played like a bull. Hit hard, hurt and move it fast.

If I was coaching against us, rough them up would be my approach.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

bangaulegend wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 8:11pm Very disappointing after such a positive start & I realise a wins a win but we really let ourselves down after half time should have been a real % boost to make up for the Geelong debacle
Except if you go 100% hammies goes left right and centre. 4 pts and a fit list is way more important than percentages. Take the win and move on. No injuries from what I’ve been told.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 8:56pm
bangaulegend wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 8:11pm Very disappointing after such a positive start & I realise a wins a win but we really let ourselves down after half time should have been a real % boost to make up for the Geelong debacle
Except if you go 100% hammies goes left right and centre. 4 pts and a fit list is way more important than percentages. Take the win and move on. No injuries from what I’ve been told.
What are internal expectations/hopes Tony?

I reckon we can win it this year. Our best is good enough. Does the club give itself a chance?

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Not up there mate. But always the skies the limit. Think realistically 3 are better than us- WC, Richmond, and Cats. Not worried about the others. Our goal is to get there with a fullest list as possible. Then as Bulldogs anything can happen. Talking to one of the coaches after the game tonight we could have won by 10 goals. But at what expense.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 9:05pm
What are internal expectations/hopes Tony?

I reckon we can win it this year. Our best is good enough. Does the club give itself a chance?
Did you miss our game against Geelong?

I think our best could get us a top 4 H&A finish but our best from there would be 3rd or 4th.

Gresh and Hanners being being out probably puts us in the 5th to 8th category for 2020.

Plugger12

Shocking match, Saints need take a team to the sword once we have game in control. Ratten summed it nicely we started to play around and not go direst. Against a good team they will hurt us. This should have been a 60 pts plus win. If Howard does another handball over his head straight to an opposition player again I will go ballistic.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 9:17pm Not up there mate. But always the skies the limit. Think realistically 3 are better than us- WC, Richmond, and Cats. Not worried about the others. Our goal is to get there with a fullest list as possible. Then as Bulldogs anything can happen. Talking to one of the coaches after the game tonight we could have won by 10 goals. But at what expense.
I do not disagree with the above simply because it offers no more insight than anyone who watched the game and supports St Kilda.

I spoke with a mate's wife whose friend ordered an Uber for a bloke who delivered a pizza to the girlfriend of the bloke that opened the gate for the St Kilda coaching staff who said we should stay in the 8 if we win more games. She had no idea at what cost.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

With respect the 3rd Quarter, Paddy was magnificent in the third quarter and was a key reason why the play turned back our way.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
realdeal
Club Player

Yes we won, yes it's 4 points and yes if you said at the start of the year we'd be in this position i wouldnt believe it.

However, a very concerning trend is occuring.
Sure, we took the foot off the gas but we really should've won that by 60+ and this is probably the 6th-7th time this year we've created a 30+ point lead and either lost, had to dig deep or just cruised in the 2nd half...

What are we doing to prevent these completed breakdowns where we stop running, become lazy, just kick down the line or fwd to the opposition? We lost the inside 50s today..

Anyway, lovie being top 4 and he's hoping for a good win against the Lions..

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 9:32pm
tony74 wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 9:17pm Not up there mate. But always the skies the limit. Think realistically 3 are better than us- WC, Richmond, and Cats. Not worried about the others. Our goal is to get there with a fullest list as possible. Then as Bulldogs anything can happen. Talking to one of the coaches after the game tonight we could have won by 10 goals. But at what expense.
I do not disagree with the above simply because it offers no more insight than anyone who watched the game and supports St Kilda.
i reckon it does

poster spoke to one of the chiefs

poster passed on ... the ‘our goal is ....’ info

thats a fair share
to give us a snippet of where the brains trust is at

imoo fwtw oc

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Pies are better than us
Just enjoy a finals showing this year
Bigger prize down track
We still need to weed out 1 or 2 who under pressure fail and Geary is one of those
Let King gain experience
Target an absolute elite mid and we are away

“Yeah….nah””
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Plugger12 wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 9:29pm Shocking match, Saints need take a team to the sword once we have game in control. Ratten summed it nicely we started to play around and not go direst. Against a good team they will hurt us. This should have been a 60 pts plus win. If Howard does another handball over his head straight to an opposition player again I will go ballistic.
Howard does things that gives the impression he is getting his ambitions mixed up with his capabilities. If the 2nd Tier comp was playing you'd probably send him back to Sandy to work on his craft.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 10:10pm
Plugger12 wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 9:29pm Shocking match, Saints need take a team to the sword once we have game in control. Ratten summed it nicely we started to play around and not go direst. Against a good team they will hurt us. This should have been a 60 pts plus win. If Howard does another handball over his head straight to an opposition player again I will go ballistic.
Howard does things that gives the impression he is getting his ambitions mixed up with his capabilities. If the 2nd Tier comp was playing you'd probably send him back to Sandy to work on his craft.
Give it up S*K*.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 9:52pm
Ghost Like wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 9:32pm
i reckon it does

poster spoke to one of the chiefs

poster passed on ... the ‘our goal is ....’ info

thats a fair share
to give us a snippet of where the brains trust is at

imoo fwtw oc
Apologies, what if I'd said I chatted to a mate who had been in the rooms, after reading what had been said?

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 10:16pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 10:10pm
Give it up S*K*.
It's your crusade, stop being an antagonist.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

no apologies needed Sir

t74 is on my ... always worth a read list

... i was just sharing my thoughts

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

I appreciate your internal perspective but IMO we had a big opportunity to put them to the sword but we didn't. Obviously you know more than I do but when you have a team on the ropes you need a knock out blow not just counter punch IMO

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

We had the game won at the end of the first quarter. ThE sport scientists bofs reckon there has been a 300% increase in soft tissue injuries in the last fortnight. I reckon WC could have won by 15 goals tonight. They’re a professionally run team. Very, very different year.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

tony74 wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 11:03pm We had the game won at the end of the first quarter. ThE sport scientists bofs reckon there has been a 300% increase in soft tissue injuries in the last fortnight. I reckon WC could have won by 15 goals tonight. They’re a professionally run team. Very, very different year.
Fair comparison I actually backed West Coast to win by 15 goals & yeah your right they probably could have won by that margin if not for self preservation but IMO we don't have that luxury of home ground advantage or the star studded playing list. I don't expect miracles I'm happy with the progression we have made this year all I'm saying is IMO we have a pretty hard run home & it will all come down to % as to who plays finals & who doesn't .

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Dermot Brereton implied that we were consciously playing below peak power - as if we were deliberately and strategically conserving power for games coming up. He said Marshall, as well as he played, was ready for another full-game at the siren, so little was he pushed and so much he was rested.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!