2020 Trade Period

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

2020 Trade Period

Who do we think we should be going after?

Finnis has said we will look to bring in more midfield depth?

Zach Williams GWS as a free agent would be a great start.

Then I would be trying to ply Riley Collier-Dawkins from Richmond. He is tall big bodied midfielder we were keen on two years ago and hasnt had a look in at Richmond. Starred in the VFL GF win last year is just the kid/player we need to compliment our other mids.

People have also mentioned Jye Calwell from GWS but I believe RCD fits our needs more.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Re: 2020 Trade Period

Don't know much about RCD but sounds promising from your comments

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Read an article on the weekend saying Carlton are front runners for Zach Williams.

Rocket
Club Player

I think we need another goal kicking half forward. Kent, Parker, Hind etc hot and cold. I would have a look at Sexton from the Gold Coast.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Rocket wrote: Mon 31 Aug 2020 11:48am I think we need another goal kicking half forward. Kent, Parker, Hind etc hot and cold. I would have a look at Sexton from the Gold Coast.
Jack Martin would have been a nice get.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Mon 31 Aug 2020 11:37am Read an article on the weekend saying Carlton are front runners for Zach Williams.
Every year the media blow Carlton up as front runners in player trades, it hasnt come to fruition too often!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 31 Aug 2020 12:14pm
Rocket wrote: Mon 31 Aug 2020 11:48am I think we need another goal kicking half forward. Kent, Parker, Hind etc hot and cold. I would have a look at Sexton from the Gold Coast.
Yep. I have always been a fan.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

He's a very good footballer but he needs a lot of help around him to be functional as a forward (as do most non KPP guys). I'd argue he's been no more effective or better than Butler for us. And Dan isn't costing us $800K pa.

A lot of Carlton fans will tell you he's as hot and cold for them as we bemoan our small forwards. I have no idea why Carlton don't play him full time on a wing (which is where he played his best games for GCS).

Go you red, black & white warriors
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 31 Aug 2020 2:22pm
He's a very good footballer but he needs a lot of help around him to be functional as a forward (as do most non KPP guys). I'd argue he's been no more effective or better than Butler for us. And Dan isn't costing us $800K pa.

A lot of Carlton fans will tell you he's as hot and cold for them as we bemoan our small forwards. I have no idea why Carlton don't play him full time on a wing (which is where he played his best games for GCS).
Polec is on offer and the Kangas may pay part of his wages.

Personally though, I think we are better placed to identify and then pay young, top draft picks not playing or not playing in their preferred positions.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 31 Aug 2020 2:32pm

Personally though, I think we are better placed to identify and then pay young, top draft picks not playing or not playing in their preferred positions.
Let's just call that player Jye Caldwell and be done with it. I'd kill for us to land him.

diddley
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 31 Aug 2020 2:34pm

Let's just call that player Jye Caldwell and be done with it. I'd kill for us to land him.
Same here.
Caldwell for me, yes please.

And to add another young name that we have already been mentioned with previously, Charlie Constable. Get it done.

Those 2 names would settle our mid depths, but I still want 1 more. A big fish. Someone like a Josh Kelly type. Don’t know how to get it done though.

older saint
SS Life Member

diddley wrote: Mon 31 Aug 2020 3:25pm

Same here.

And to add another young name that we have already been mentioned with previously, Charlie Constable. Get it done.

Those 2 names would settle our mid depths, but I still want 1 more. A big fish. Someone like a Josh Kelly type. Don’t know how to get it done though.
Kelly - beat GWS in final round, make finals and they miss out. He decides that he wants to come home, Nth no longer a viable option as wants to play finals and we have cap space others don't to get him. End up with picks 2 & 3 from that draft and elite midfield talent .... oh to dream.

SunnyErnest
Club Player

I would love to get Papley but his cost with picks and salary cap would be too much. But imagine next year if we could add Zak Williams to our midfield as FA and then have Gresham and Papley in the forward pockets. Then also add a fit Hanna's as well....Top 4 for sure. If Hanna's isn't married find someone for him and tell him to make Papley best man. Then he would have to choose us surely?

Who is StoneCold??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
stkfc1
Club Player

Caldwell and Constable for midfield would be excellent.
I wouldn't mind another older mid for some leadership. Not sure who's available.
Polac may be worth a look but he's hot and cold also. Think we can do better and/or proabably cheaper. Unless Roos have to part pay his wages.
We need a game changer. Kelly top of the list.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

diddley wrote: Mon 31 Aug 2020 3:25pm

Same here.

It's going to be difficult to get Constable. He's under contract and the Cats see him as the natural replacement for Selwood.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Oi Jaxons!!!

Any trade news???

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
SaintDippa
Club Player

Like Sexton a lot.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

[quote=Saintmatt post_id=1865462 time=1598844867 user_id=21054]
[quote="Ghost Like" post_id=1865460 time=1598844743 user_id=11806]
[quote=Saintmatt post_id=1865457 time=1598844177 user_id=21054]
[quote="Ghost Like" post_id=1865416 time=1598836452 user_id=11806]
[quote=Rocket post_id=1865408 time=1598834888 user_id=1452]
I think we need another goal kicking half forward. Kent, Parker, Hind etc hot and cold. I would have a look at Sexton from the Gold Coast.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

In that case I offer up Daniel Andrews

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

2 meter Peter anyone?
Not getting a game and would be relatively cheap.
Good athlete, still only 23.
Would not surprise me if he developed into a good forward ruck in the next couple of years.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

kelly or bust. ben king down the track. rowell tne year after than - when we're reigning premiers!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 31 Aug 2020 8:09pm 2 meter Peter anyone?
Not getting a game and would be relatively cheap.
Good athlete, still only 23.
Would not surprise me if he developed into a good forward ruck in the next couple of years.
He's not getting a game for a reason - he plays with absolutely no energy or vigour. Has the tools to be a decent player but just doesnt show the desire. A different environment might unveil the real player and he might be a late developer but I doubt it.

According to some at the club Jack Bell is going to be a decent player, like King he just needs to put on size.

Still think our priority should be quality goal kicking midfielders, who can rotate forward.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Our ability to land a quality inside mid, whether young or older (but hopefully not ancient) is going to be pivotal to our fortunes over the next several seasons. We actually need 2 more gun mids if we wish to be a genuine contender.

We have many good to excellent young players and virtually every position is covered, but in the midfield we just lack so badly on the quantity of quality inside mids required. When you look at many teams we just do not have the quality in our emerging mids that we need to have.

Steele has been a huge tick for us this year.

Gresham has shown good promise, but at 23 while his best is yet to come he is not at the standard of some of the young mids of his age. Now I am not knocking Gresh, but as our current No 2 mid it is a worry.

Jones. If he had good disposal and particularly kicking he could be what we seek. But rare is the player who becomes a good kick at 26. His pace and aggression certainly helps to mix up our midfield ...

So after this we currently step down dramatically. Ross, Dunstan may all well be ok as fringe mids. But are not top 3/4 mids.

Hannas? Quality IF on the park. But is more outside than inside, and his injury record since joining us leaves little confidence that he will be a regular in 2021.

Bytel. Showed promise, but too early to no. Even moreso with Byrnes.

Hill. Purely an outside mid.

Billings. Good player, but not an out and out gun. I doubt that he could become an inside mid gun.

Clark and Coffield. Both have shown that they will be very good players for us. But whether they can be very good mids is completely unknown.

Sincs. I quite like him, but I think his games have shown that he is a good linking player destined to be a support player only. As our 21/22nd player he provides a god asset.

Marshall. While not a small midfielder we know that can win midfield ball including clearances. But he needs to complement some good inside mids, rather than be expected to be a midfield himself. Marshall is a huge asset for us.

UPSIDE

Marshall, Howard, Battle while already all good will be flying in 2 more seasons.

Max is very raw bodywise and he will be starting to hit his straps then.

When the ball bounces for 2023 Steele needs to have two gun inside mids to complement them or we will be wasting a very good set of talls. Hence why targeting some like Jaye now would be a good idea as to actually gain an inside mid in his prime is a very hard task. Recent history would indicate that they mainly have to choose you.

If would be amazing to land 2 gun ready to go mids for 2021. But it is most improbable. Landing one or two players that can become good mids is a much easier path.

PS Finishing the year on a good note will make it much easier to land the players we need. Such players we no doubt have already been in discussion with.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 31 Aug 2020 8:23pm

Still think our priority should be quality goal kicking midfielders, who can rotate forward.
The closest we have to that is Gresh.

Billings just does not seem to have enough influence when he takes an inside midfield rotation.

But yes no Dusty, Bont, Danger or Cripps for us.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

I've said this many times a quality mid. I wanted Kelly when he was available I wanted Shiel before he chose the Bummers but I would be happy with Williams or a young Caldwell pretty much a 1st class mid that is not passed his use by date (eg. Haneberry Cunnington )Paddy Cripps, Dusty Martin, Paddy Dangerfield types would be handy but obviously they are a pipe dream. Hopefully we have sent out a positive vibe that makes us an attractive proposition that potential recruits want be to be part of.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Who we giving up folks????
Can’t see us landing without offering ..

“Yeah….nah””