Take the asterisk off

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Take the asterisk off

That Port V Geelong final was awesome. Take the asterisk off the cup, finals footy is another level, so good to watch and glad our boys get a taste for it.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Take the asterisk off

Anyone still claiming it’s the ‘Asterisk Cup’ is just a deadset flog.

The players are giving 110%

The crowd are going at 110%

Watch that game and try tell us they’re taking it as a ‘gap year’. Ludicrous.

The best teams are all still there at the end of the year, wanting it as much as any other premiership in history.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

The Covid cup, why wouldn't they want to win it, a big effort from all involved to get to this point.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

26000 is a great attendance

Would love to be able to go on Saturday

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Port were much harder at the ball, and Geelong were unbale to use their skills.

Anyone who thinks home ground advantage isn't a stadium almost full of supporters, wasn't watching. We showed in the middle of the year that it wasn't the ground it was the supporters.

Someone may be able to correct me, but if we win and keep on winning, all of our games will now be played at the Gabba.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Yeah they were playing for keeps no holes barred in that game. I'm glad I was sitting in my lounge room watching it was pretty f------ brutal, but that's finals footy the tempo goes up a notch or 3 lets hope we bring & sustain that type of effort. Go Sainters make us even prouder.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Seriously? Why even give this oxygen? The person who believes in it continues to pollute threads with their opinion. Whoever wins this Cup will have won the greatest Premiership ever. Good luck to all!

takeaway
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Thu 01 Oct 2020 11:10pm Anyone still claiming it’s the ‘Asterisk Cup’ is just a deadset flog.

The players are giving 110%

The crowd are going at 110%

Watch that game and try tell us they’re taking it as a ‘gap year’. Ludicrous.

The best teams are all still there at the end of the year, wanting it as much as any other premiership in history.
Of course the players are giving it 100%, they are professionals and want their contracts, and it is still an AFL final of sorts.
Crowd hasn't watched much live footy, of course they are going at it 100%.

Players 100%
Crowd 100%
Game 80%. The sooner the game gets back to full quarters the sooner real finals will be played.

Average game in my view.

It will always be designated as the year COVID severely hampered the season, ie Asterisk or COVID cup.

oboe
Club Player

No it won't.

The hardest ever Premiership to win.

Shorter quarters, playing anywhere but Melbourne, and the best games are brilliant.

Too many night games for my liking (the day games show the skill), but the desperation, and will to win shown with a greasy ball at night???

Only the best sides win.

Also the fairest year since 1986 - sides played each other twice - this year each other once.

A great year to win the Flag.

1965 Saint
Club Player

Look how many seats have been sold for our final. F... all. When is the AFL going to realise they are wasting their time and money in Queensland. They are NOT INTERESTED. instead of going down on Anastasia Alphabet Gillian should have brought the show to WA. The reason he didn’t wasn’t the COVID rules it was he didn’t want the MCG to be shown up by Optus Stadium. Half of the MCG (the wonderful not Great Southern Stand) is decrepit and needs to be bulldozed. Gillian wants a sh.tshow at the Gabba so everyone is screaming to get back to the overacted sh.thole.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

One of the most underwhelming qualifying finals I have ever watched. Doesn't even come close by comparison to finals played in full strength years.

The games are so predictable, with 9 mins to go you knew Geelong were cooked and weren't going to claw back the small and very gettable lead by comparison to full strength seasons. It never used to be like that, 3 goals in 9 mins was always very, VERY gettable and done with regularity but It's been that way all year with these soccer sores. As soon as a team gets up by 2 or 3 goals you find your self saying this game is over.

58 to 42. I blame small forwards.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

1965 Saint wrote: Fri 02 Oct 2020 12:59am Look how many seats have been sold for our final. F... all. When is the AFL going to realise they are wasting their time and money in Queensland. They are NOT INTERESTED. instead of going down on Anastasia Alphabet Gillian should have brought the show to WA. The reason he didn’t wasn’t the COVID rules it was he didn’t want the MCG to be shown up by Optus Stadium. Half of the MCG (the wonderful not Great Southern Stand) is decrepit and needs to be bulldozed. Gillian wants a sh.tshow at the Gabba so everyone is screaming to get back to the overacted sh.thole.
Yeah F*** all tickets sold must be right. I'm half a chance to get to our final if moons align and so I looked on ticket master tonight and I could get a seat almost bang smack on the wing at ground level for $76. Unprecedented.

Gillan just want's this sesson to be over to stop the hemorrhaging of money. $60 million spent since June alone just for accommodation for players and co. He's gotta be asking was it worth it.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 02 Oct 2020 1:23am One of the most underwhelming qualifying finals I have ever watched. Doesn't even come close by comparison to finals played in full strength years.

The games are so predictable, with 9 mins to go you knew Geelong were cooked and weren't going to claw back the small and very gettable lead by comparison to full strength seasons. It never used to be like that, 3 goals in 9 mins was always very, VERY gettable and done with regularity but It's been that way all year with these soccer sores. As soon as a team gets up by 2 or 3 goals you find your self saying this game is over.

Geelong played in a Qualifying Final last year too, and lost 51-61 to Collingwood...

It is admirable how you continue on in the face of literally everything you claim being laughably wrong Secret Vortex... :roll:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 02 Oct 2020 1:39am
1965 Saint wrote: Fri 02 Oct 2020 12:59am Look how many seats have been sold for our final. F... all. When is the AFL going to realise they are wasting their time and money in Queensland. They are NOT INTERESTED. instead of going down on Anastasia Alphabet Gillian should have brought the show to WA. The reason he didn’t wasn’t the COVID rules it was he didn’t want the MCG to be shown up by Optus Stadium. Half of the MCG (the wonderful not Great Southern Stand) is decrepit and needs to be bulldozed. Gillian wants a sh.tshow at the Gabba so everyone is screaming to get back to the overacted sh.thole.
Yeah F*** all tickets sold must be right. I'm half a chance to get to our final if moons align and so I looked on ticket master tonight and I could get a seat almost bang smack on the wing at ground level for $76. Unprecedented.

Gillan just want's this sesson to be over to stop the hemorrhaging of money. $60 million spent since June alone just for accommodation for players and co. He's gotta be asking was it worth it.
Your numbers are not quite correct.
Can you review and amend please?

stevie
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Thu 01 Oct 2020 11:21pm Port were much harder at the ball, and Geelong were unbale to use their skills.

Anyone who thinks home ground advantage isn't a stadium almost full of supporters, wasn't watching. We showed in the middle of the year that it wasn't the ground it was the supporters.

Someone may be able to correct me, but if we win and keep on winning, all of our games will now be played at the Gabba.
No mate if we keep winning we play Port in Adelaide in the prelim

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Fri 02 Oct 2020 1:45am
Vortex wrote: Fri 02 Oct 2020 1:39am

Your numbers are not quite correct.
Can you review and amend please?

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/afl-news-c ... 711e1040b9

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

This year the premiership team will be awarded the same premiership cup as every other team got every other year. Plus the same flag too.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
asiu
Saintsational Legend

:P

wow

ramming speed

morning all

this place needs a foodfight
more desperately than i need a nooky

come back twirlyhair
(these crazies need to throw things at someone)

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
johnearljames
Club Player

There was never an asterisk. Such BS.

The side that wins it this year or makes finals even deserves it more than any other year.

The Saints only played 4 home games and still finished 6th. Best effort IMO in many decades of footy.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

‘n re ... the crowds

money is tight ... for a lot of punters

discretionary spending
... get real

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Fri 02 Oct 2020 8:56am i need a nooky

come back twirlyhair
:shock: :shock: :shock: :wink:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

haha
very good

the food fight would be awesome to watch
i’d forget about my concerns
on the joy of it all

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 02 Oct 2020 1:23am One of the most underwhelming qualifying finals I have ever watched. Doesn't even come close by comparison to finals played in full strength years.

Rubbish, it was a great game.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 02 Oct 2020 1:23am. As soon as a team gets up by 2 or 3 goals you find your self saying this game is over.

I’ll try to break this gently to you.

You now how we finished 12-5 including wins against North and Freo.....

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Sanctorum
Club Player

Crikey Vortex, you're sounding just like Secret Kiel, consumed by negativity, why do you even bother watching footy if you regard it as too predictable...

If you are indeed one and the same, as many suggest, why do you bother abandoning one and then immediately assume a new persona on this forum when the rubbish you post clearly is identical under all your aliases!

The only reason that the 2020 premiership cup will have an asterisk is to signify that this has been an extraordinarily challenging season for every player and every team, especially the ten based in Victoria that have had to live out of suitcases in strictly enclosed isolation hubs in Queensland for 4 months.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist