Seb Ross

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Seb Ross

Spotted touring the Essendon facilities.

Been a warrior for the footy club.

Would be sad to see him go.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Re: Seb Ross

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmike65
Club Player

Was a handy player in an ordinary team Seb, gets a fair bit of the footy but not damaging enough & decision making questionable.
If we're going to challenge, we need to have some quality in the midfield, not rely on mids that lack skill to play a negating role.
You don't see Geelong or Richmond tag, they back their mids because they're quality!!

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Thu 29 Oct 2020 11:15am Spotted touring the Essendon facilities.

Been a warrior for the footy club.

Would be sad to see him go.
Agreed, good solid B grade AFL mid and by all reports great bloke and very solid citizen.
Would prefer he stayed but may see the writing on the wall in regard to the style of mid we are now recruiting.

As much as I like Seb, I do believe he is the type of player we can afford to lose and if the return is worth it and the salary dump helps recruiting then so be it.

Shame we couldn't swap Seb as a package including for a players like Saad or Merrett who would be a good fit.

It would be ironic if Caldwell went to the Bombers then found himself behind a bunch of midfield recruits from other clubs including the saints.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

If Seb going lets us bring in a guy who has more skill and gets us closer to the dream, then he wins and we win.

Get it done

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
spert
Saintsational Legend

Ratts stated straight after the finals that he wants more class in the midfield, so the writing is on the wall for honest worker types. Steele is easily the best of our midfield bunch, but Ross and Dunstan can't be in the same team. Bytel will most likely just get better and is a strong mid with clean disposal. Should be interesting to see what develops.

bakes
Club Player

This is too good, we actually have hierarchy at the club making excellent decisions. Good times ahead.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

If this true then it may be an indication that the club is actually developing some pragmatic ruthlessness. As others have said, a good solid citizen but not A grade. Too much ball butchering to be A grade. Dunstan and Seb are both RFA’s next year so if they’re going to be traded now is the time to maximise whatever value we may receive for them.
I saw the term PFA yesterday - pre free agent - referring to players who are going to be RFAs at the end the following season and that clubs are now looking to trade players out as PFAs rather than losing them for nix. If Luke and Seb were to walk as RFAs what recompense would the AFL give us? Second rounder for Seb maybe. Third rounder for Luke?

If they are both traded in pursuit of genuine class then that’s the kind of attitude needed to take the next step.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I’m a bit weary...

Ross for all of his faults was one of our better players across two finals games.
Experience matters on the big stage and Ross stood up IMO.

Be interesting to see what the offers are...
I like that Merrett kid

Sanctorum
Club Player

Seb Ross took a long time to become a good player, leading to several B & Fs in the years that St Kilda languished out of the top 8, but has disappointingly failed to elevate his game further to be an impact player since.

At 28 next year he is not likely to improve and with Crouch coming into the midfield next year may well find it impossible to hang on to his place in the team.

All of the AFLs best midfielders are "impact" players and St Kilda needs more than Steele, Crouch and Jones if they're going to win another premiership.

So if indeed Seb decides to find another home that's fine by me.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

What's Ross worth?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Probably a second rounder.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

I wouldn't put much weight in those comments by Garry Lyon.

I don't think we are trading him

older saint
SS Life Member

Depends on the value received. We need to strengthen the mid field and while Crouch is an upgrade depth wise we would not get better trading Ross - UNLESS the return provides greater benefit moving forward.

Probably second round pick where Ess sit , or even 15 & Ross for 8?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Viscount Jeremiah wrote: Thu 29 Oct 2020 12:14pm I wouldn't put much weight in those comments by Garry Lyon.

I don't think we are trading him
Don't listen to SEN, does Lyon still work with uncle Tim?
If so uncle Tim might have spilled some gossip?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 29 Oct 2020 11:58am All of the AFLs best midfielders are "impact" players and St Kilda needs more than Steele, Crouch and Jones if they're going to win another premiership.
Granted, but don’t overlook Gresham and Clark as impact players. There is a fair bit of creativity there to complement the grunt of the others. You need playmakers as well as grunt.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think to be honest... I reckon Ross’ value most likely exceeds what he will attract on the open market.

He played a lot better in the second half of the season post retiring from injury.

I think I’m happy for him to play with a higher degree of pressure to retain his spot. My personal opinion is that he has at times looked a little too comfortable out there which perhaps has stopped him elevating his game to the standard it could get to

There is a huge difference between his consistent standard games and his really good ones.
Want to see more of the latter or let him be overtaken

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Isn’t Ross on squillions?

Could be a salary cap dump to try and get others in.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 29 Oct 2020 12:26pm I think to be honest... I reckon Ross’ value most likely exceeds what he will attract on the open market.

He played a lot better in the second half of the season post retiring from injury.

I think I’m happy for him to play with a higher degree of pressure to retain his spot. My personal opinion is that he has at times looked a little too comfortable out there which perhaps has stopped him elevating his game to the standard it could get to

There is a huge difference between his consistent standard games and his really good ones.
I tend to agree. If he's our 4th to 6th best midfielder then we are starting to get the depth of quality mids we need to become a sustainable top 4 side.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Solid citizen, but footy has become ruthless and if we can get something decent for him then let’s do it.

Lennylegs
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Thu 29 Oct 2020 12:40pm
skeptic wrote: Thu 29 Oct 2020 12:26pm I think to be honest... I reckon Ross’ value most likely exceeds what he will attract on the open market.

I tend to agree. If he's our 4th to 6th best midfielder then we are starting to get the depth of quality mids we need to become a sustainable top 4 side.
I agree. Gotta have depth. And competition for spots raises the standards.

The other thing is, Essendon will probably offer their window cleaner as a possible trade for Ross. Last club we should be dealing with.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

"Watson responded to the suggestion, saying he hadn’t heard anything from his nephew regarding his future at the Saints.

“I haven’t heard anything about that (rumour),” he said.

“I wouldn’t expect him to give me a call and ask me anyways, Seb is very closed-shop and doesn’t give me anything.

“I haven't heard anything along those lines.”

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

The only reason the club would let Ross go, is if they have other options to fit in.

SaintDippa
Club Player

If Bombers want 7 for Saad then Ross will cost 7 and more.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Not a great loss if true.

At this point he is just midfield depth, not great skills and doesn't hurt the opposition.

He has been passed by numerous players in the current side, no surprise if he was looking at jumping to a weaker team.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.