Rowan Marshall

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Gershwin
Club Player

Rowan Marshall

Huge talent.

For me, best suited at CHF - probably the most difficult position on the ground. With Max King at FF, we have a potent key forward structure. Both capable of helping out in the ruck.

Ryder capable of holding down the Ruck for one more season. A good ruckman needs to be in out sights for next years trade period.

Thoughts?

summertime and the living is easy ........
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rowan Marshall

I always list him as CHF.

I think he loves it up there.

When he and Max become the clunking machines they can be....it will be huge.

When Membrey is your third marking tall....you're a bloody potent forward line.

Nee!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

There’s no such thing as CHF, CHB, FF etc anymore. There’s forwards, mids and backs, and they all cover the entire ground.

I like him in the ruck, floating forward occasionally when the matchup allows.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

ROMA
King
Membrey
Butler

Match made in HEAVEN

Go Saints

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

IMO I think he could be a good CHF but we need him to ruck because Paddy was recruited to assist Marshalls development not take over the role & at his age there is no way he can be relied upon to be the main stay & we really don't have too many other options

bakes
Club Player

I agree he needs to stay at CHF for the whole year . McKernan is the insurance if Marshall gets injured .

We need a ruck to ruck the whole game like Ryder. But if Ryder gets injured we are exposed because we don’t have a pure tap backup ruckman .

When Ryder was injured and Marshall went into the ruck against the Tiges in the final we lost our structure .

I think we should draft a ready make ruckman from a state league .

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Marshall had a great year in 2019 as the main ruckman but that was only because of his around the ground and ground work. I'm not sure he won too many ruck contests and, if he did, I don't think they were to our advantage. He did take the ball out of the ruck a fair bit in 2019 and just bomb it forward though which negates our onballers though.

I think he's a bit slow for a permanent CHF type role and he is a bit too short for the main ruckman.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think Ryder as the main ruck rotating with Marshall up forward is the correct strategy especially now that interchange rotations have been cut

To be honest, as the only guy on the list that play ruck/around the ground to a decent standard and hold a key post... Marshall was always going to fall into this type of role

Especially given that his ruck work isn’t the strongest feature of his game

I think most forumites clued into this like 2 years ago

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote: Sat 28 Nov 2020 10:05pm I think Ryder as the main ruck rotating with Marshall up forward is the correct strategy especially now that interchange rotations have been cut

To be honest, as the only guy on the list that play ruck/around the ground to a decent standard and hold a key post... Marshall was always going to fall into this type of role

I agree but what if Ryder tears a hamstring in round 1 & is out for a considerable amount of time where is our plan B ? I don' t think big Sam or McKernan could fill the void. IMO we have really left ourselves vulnerable

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Sat 28 Nov 2020 10:24pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 28 Nov 2020 10:05pm I think Ryder as the main ruck rotating with Marshall up forward is the correct strategy especially now that interchange rotations have been cut

I agree but what if Ryder tears a hamstring in round 1 & is out for a considerable amount of time where is our plan B ? I don' t think big Sam or McKernan could fill the void. IMO we have really left ourselves vulnerable

If that’s the case then Battle becomes a permanent forward, King rucks up forward and Marshall plays as the primary ruck.

And as you’ve pointed out... depending on match ups and balance McKernan becomes the pinch hit in

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote: Sat 28 Nov 2020 10:41pm
bangaulegend wrote: Sat 28 Nov 2020 10:24pm

If that’s the case then Battle becomes a permanent forward, King rucks up forward and Marshall plays as the primary ruck.

And as you’ve pointed out... depending on match ups and balance McKernan becomes the pinch hit in
The six six rule gives a huge advantage to the team with centre clearance & I realise that ruck taps don't necessarily mean clearance dominance but it does help team structure if your ruck man can give you first look.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I’d love them to be able to play Marshall primarily as a key forward.

You can say he’s too important in the ruck, but I’d argue that structurally CHF is still the key position in the ground. He’s strong enough and smart enough to be a very good one and there’s not many teams that will be able to shut down both him and King - given decent supply.

Ryder’s injury robbed us structurally in the semi against Richmond. It meant Marshall had to ruck most of the day and we really missed him up forward - particularly with Battle tender and having to start in the backline to cover for Carlisle

Harves Man
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 28 Nov 2020 8:13pm ROMA
King
Membrey
Butler

Match made in HEAVEN

Go Saints
Plus Higgins - now it's really made in Heaven!

Gershwin
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Sat 28 Nov 2020 11:59pm I’d love them to be able to play Marshall primarily as a key forward.

You can say he’s too important in the ruck, but I’d argue that structurally CHF is still the key position in the ground. He’s strong enough and smart enough to be a very good one and there’s not many teams that will be able to shut down both him and King - given decent supply.

Ryder’s injury robbed us structurally in the semi against Richmond. It meant Marshall had to ruck most of the day and we really missed him up forward - particularly with Battle tender and having to start in the backline to cover for Carlisle
Yes I thought our team selection for that game lacked imagination. I would have rolled the dice and played Abbott and Austin and taking the risk with Battle backfired.

summertime and the living is easy ........
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

He's a 202cm "on baller" - the first ever, although Nic Nat was an early version. He is likely to define a whole new way of playing the game - and best of all - with us. We can only hope that Paddy can keep going for another year or two.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Sun 29 Nov 2020 12:02pm He's a 202cm "on baller" - the first ever, although Nic Nat was an early version. He is likely to define a whole new way of playing the game - and best of all - with us. We can only hope that Paddy can keep going for another year or two.
Nic Nat is a freak, but there are other rucks like Grundy who are much better as "on ballers" than Nic Nat.

Personally I think that Nic Nat struggles in reading the game. His great athletic traits allow him to shine as the No1 ruck as he knows exactly where the ball will be as the umps have to bounce it or throw it up. But in general play where reading the game is important he struggles to have anywhere near the impact that he has in the ballups.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Reckon Josh Battle is our ideal CHF.

He has size, strength, endurance, a strong mark and good kick.

To the top
SS Life Member

Marshall as an attacking focus is the optimum going forward

Hence recruiting to replace Abbott who was not at the required level to step in in case of need

We should get another year out of Ryder based on 2020, at least

Ryder is not only a class citizen but is a class footballer who takes pride in performance

Both Marshall and King have outstanding abilities as footballers and particularly when you consider their height

They will dominate - then there is Membrey who can also work up the ground

Battle is a genuine utility - not quite of the size for a key position hence the areas being focussed on in his development

We have a decent 22, noting the consistency of names on a thread of our optimum side for 2021 (including Carlisle who rounds the side out)

Past that Roberton is class and two sided so we trust he finds his best

And there are a few others who are capable replacements including Frawley and McKernon now

And there are a couple still developing

As put previously, all sides will improve

St Kilda needs to improve more and where our recruiting and our youth promote confidence

I am a subscriber to building from defence so Carlisle and Howard then the class of Clark, Coffield and Long with Wilkie and Roberton fighting it out

And Paton was a revelation (but his Under Age CV was impressive so perhaps no surprise)

saynta
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Mon 30 Nov 2020 8:09pm Marshall as an attacking focus is the optimum going forward

Hence recruiting to replace Abbott who was not at the required level to step in in case of need

We should get another year out of Ryder based on 2020, at least

Ryder is not only a class citizen but is a class footballer who takes pride in performance

Both Marshall and King have outstanding abilities as footballers and particularly when you consider their height

They will dominate - then there is Membrey who can also work up the ground

Battle is a genuine utility - not quite of the size for a key position hence the areas being focussed on in his development

We have a decent 22, noting the consistency of names on a thread of our optimum side for 2021 (including Carlisle who rounds the side out)

Past that Roberton is class and two sided so we trust he finds his best

And there are a few others who are capable replacements including Frawley and McKernon now

And there are a couple still developing

As put previously, all sides will improve

St Kilda needs to improve more and where our recruiting and our youth promote confidence

I am a subscriber to building from defence so Carlisle and Howard then the class of Clark, Coffield and Long with Wilkie and Roberton fighting it out

And Paton was a revelation (but his Under Age CV was impressive so perhaps no surprise)
Battle is 193cm or 6'4" in the old measurements which is exactly the same height as Rooey who wasn't a bad key position player. No one ever said he was too small. :wink:

To the top
SS Life Member

Riewoldt was a superb athlete who worked and worked and worked again to present as an option in attack

Battle has excellent attributes and is a very fine footballer in the making but he is no Riewoldt

Riewoldt with his skill set and work ethic was a champion of the game

As was Brown from Brisbane - as a more traditional key position forward

saynta
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Tue 01 Dec 2020 1:57pm Riewoldt was a superb athlete who worked and worked and worked again to present as an option in attack

Battle has excellent attributes and is a very fine footballer in the making but he is no Riewoldt

Riewoldt with his skill set and work ethic was a champion of the game

As was Brown from Brisbane - as a more traditional key position forward
Agree with everything you say but I still maintain that Battle is not too small to play CHF or CHB for that matter.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

We just recruited Frawley to play as Key Back on some opposition Key Forwards, the Gorillas as they have been nicknamed.

Frawley is 193cm.

193cm seems to come in many different sizes when you read all the comments on forums and in the press. :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Marshall to me was the first sign that something good was happening at the club.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Rohan has natural forward instincts and is an untapped talent but needs to hit the scoreboard more often.
He, King, and Membrey from a terrific trio add Billings, Butler, Gresham/Higgins, you have a very potent and diverse forward 50 set up.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote: Tue 01 Dec 2020 7:54pm We just recruited Frawley to play as Key Back on some opposition Key Forwards, the Gorillas as they have been nicknamed.

Frawley is 193cm.

193cm seems to come in many different sizes when you read all the comments on forums and in the press. :lol:
Frawley is a lock down defender, with strength and closing speed...both we have lacked.
Nathan Brown had strength but lacked closing speed, Carlisle lacks both and can be exposed in the air one on one.
Dougal Howard has good speed but needs to get stronger in the core, as you saw with Tom Lynch getting hold of him in the final.