Paton v JWeb

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stkfc1
Club Player

Paton v JWeb

Think Webster played one of his best games for the club tonight. Was worried when Paton went out but JWeb has filled the spot nicely. His form has been pretty solid all year, along with others like Wood, DMac etc so begs the question where do we play them all next year with a fit squad?

Its tough when you realise how many injuries we have and who will make the team next year. We actually have more depth than folks realise.

Paton
Gresham
Jones
Clark
Coffield
All in best 22
Who goes out though?

Try doing best 22 next year. It's not easy.

Paton Howard Webster
Highmore Wilkie Sinclair
Hill Steele Clark
Higgins Marshall Membrey
Butler King Gresh
Ryder Crouch Jones
Dunstan Coffield Byrnes Ross

No Long Battle Wood or DMac
None deserve to loose their spot though.

I really struggled between Wood,Butler, Long and Higgins in Best 22. All offer something different.
Connelly and Bytel can probably wait another year but defintley need games into them also. Injuries will make sure of that.

I've left Geary, Carlise and Hanners out as can't see them getting back in a full capacity although if all fit and healthy next pre season who knows? Highly doubtful though.

And obviously the glaring admission is Billings.
Can we afford to loose him for the right pick? Honestly I think we can. Defintley get a Top 10 pick for him, to then use for B. King
down the track...( dammit I can dream, can't I! :D )

I must say a midfield of Steele, Crouch, Dunstan, Ross, Hill, Clark Jones,Gresh and Byrnes is looking very nice. Great mix of inside grunt and outside class and speed.
Higgins and Sincs can also go through there. Just please God, let Paddy has a couple of years left as we could really push Top 4 if we stay healthy.

We have a good list. Stay healthy and this team could win the whole damn thing.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: Paton v JWeb

Not a bad team that, i'm not sure if it could go all the way.

The team that does get the Saints deep into the finals probably won't look like that exactly because every year there is list churn
and it's hard to predict who they may look to trade, especially if they have players picked out that they'd like to bring to the club,
or they want more early draft picks.

I think a top 10 pick for Billings is ambitious but stranger things have happened, although that's usually when the player is being traded
to St Kilda not traded out of the club.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

stkfc1 wrote: Mon 05 Jul 2021 12:44am Think Webster played one of his best games for the club tonight. Was worried when Paton went out but JWeb has filled the spot nicely. His form has been pretty solid all year, along with others like Wood, DMac etc so begs the question where do we play them all next year with a fit squad?

Its tough when you realise how many injuries we have and who will make the team next year. We actually have more depth than folks realise.

Paton
Gresham
Jones
Clark
Coffield
All in best 22
Who goes out though?

Paton Howard Webster
Highmore Wilkie Sinclair
Hill Steele Clark
Higgins Marshall Membrey
Butler King Gresh
Ryder Crouch Jones

I really struggled between Wood,Butler, Long and Higgins in Best 22. All offer something different.
Connelly and Bytel can probably wait another year but defintley need games into them also. Injuries will make sure of that.

I've left Geary, Carlise and Hanners out as can't see them getting back in a full capacity although if all fit and healthy next pre season who knows? Highly doubtful though.

Can we afford to loose him for the right pick? Honestly I think we can. Defintley get a Top 10 pick for him, to then use for B. King

I must say a midfield of Steele, Crouch, Dunstan, Ross, Hill, Clark Jones,Gresh and Byrnes is looking very nice. Great mix of inside grunt and outside class and speed.
Higgins and Sincs can also go through there. Just please God, let Paddy has a couple of years left as we could really push Top 4 if we stay healthy.

Ya seem like a decent human with brain cells that work. So try to recall the last time St Kilda turned the screws on any team in a player for picks trade.

If Billings goes we'd be lucky to come away with a early to mid 2nd round pick, THAT IS THE FACTS.

Crossy66
Club Player

stkfc1 wrote: Mon 05 Jul 2021 12:44am Think Webster played one of his best games for the club tonight. Was worried when Paton went out but JWeb has filled the spot nicely. His form has been pretty solid all year, along with others like Wood, DMac etc so begs the question where do we play them all next year with a fit squad?

Paton
Gresham
Jones
Clark
Coffield
All in best 22
Who goes out though?

Paton Howard Webster
Highmore Wilkie Sinclair
Hill Steele Clark
Higgins Marshall Membrey
Butler King Gresh
Ryder Crouch Jones

Dmac ahead of Clark on A WING.
Clark ahead of Byrnes. As a mid.

ace
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Mon 05 Jul 2021 1:57am Ya seem like a decent human with brain cells that work. So try to recall the last time St Kilda turned the screws on any team in a player for picks trade.

If Billings goes we'd be lucky to come away with a early to mid 2nd round pick, THAT IS THE FACTS.
Billings becomes a restricted free agent at the end of this season.
St Kilda does not get the chance to screw any other team. THAT IS THE FACTS

He can re-sign with St Kilda or invite offers from other clubs.
If St Kilda refuses to match an offer then Billings walks.
All St Kilda gets is a free agent compensation pick.

If the offer is similar to Crouch (around $650k per season) then St Kilda will get a second round pick probably in the late 20s.
(Billings presently on around $700k).

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Both Paton and Webster seem to have gone past Coffield, in what must be a profoundly disappointing year for him.

Paton, Webster, Wilkie and Sinclair all good users and competitors. I'm hoping Coff fights back in 2022.

I can't see spot for Long in the best 22, but Higgins is a keeper for sure.

Billings seems to be halfway out the door, and if it means we can get Bing, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
He will be a good player wherever he goes but would be perfect for Sydney.

I really hope we hold on to Battle, he is too good to waste Give him a spot!
Highmore seems to have taken the third tall, but I don't see how he is better there than Josh.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

ace wrote: Mon 05 Jul 2021 3:13am
SAINT-LEE wrote: Mon 05 Jul 2021 1:57am Ya seem like a decent human with brain cells that work. So try to recall the last time St Kilda turned the screws on any team in a player for picks trade.

If the offer is similar to Crouch (around $650k per season) then St Kilda will get a second round pick probably in the late 20s.
Finally - someone with a properly functioning brain commenting on the Billings situation.

Whilst the AFL's secret herbs n spice formula (i.e. corruption) to allocate FA compensation picks is unknown - it's generally acknowledged that $800K pa and 5 yr contract is the benchmark for a 1st round compo pick (that falls directly after your first natural pick in the draft). Not a snowflakes chance in hell a club is paying Billings that. I think he'll likely end up with a Crouch value deal which, would mean we'd end up with a 2nd rnd pick (at present about pick 26).

So, given our average at best recruiting track record and our diabolical development outcomes - do you really think we'll (a) select a better player than Billings at 26; and even if he's a better player - do you think we'd then develop that player into the best he can be?

Pay Billings $650-ish and keep him. He's a very good player but no match winner. But there's plenty of those on club lists. Hard to judge Billings this year too - he's been playing with Marshall's foot injury and now has a bung knee too.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 05 Jul 2021 10:56am

Finally - someone with a properly functioning brain commenting on the Billings situation.

Whilst the AFL's secret herbs n spice formula (i.e. corruption) to allocate FA compensation picks is unknown - it's generally acknowledged that $800K pa and 5 yr contract is the benchmark for a 1st round compo pick (that falls directly after your first natural pick in the draft). Not a snowflakes chance in hell a club is paying Billings that. I think he'll likely end up with a Crouch value deal which, would mean we'd end up with a 2nd rnd pick (at present about pick 26).

So, given our average at best recruiting track record and our diabolical development outcomes - do you really think we'll (a) select a better player than Billings at 26; and even if he's a better player - do you think we'd then develop that player into the best he can be?

Pay Billings $650-ish and keep him. He's a very good player but no match winner. But there's plenty of those on club lists. Hard to judge Billings this year too - he's been playing with Marshall's foot injury and now has a bung knee too.
I don't think we should be trying to trade Billings for a similar type of player or to bring in a better player, we should be trading for our greatest need which is an AFL capable/proven key tall forward. If we don't don't then I think we remain a bottom 8 side.

I'm fearful our last 2 wins will paper over the cracks, King desperately needs a chop out. In hindsight trading Bruce has cost us significantly.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Crossy66 wrote: Mon 05 Jul 2021 2:15am

Paton
Gresham
Jones
Clark
Coffield
All in best 22
Who goes out though?

Paton Howard Webster
Highmore Wilkie Sinclair
Hill Steele Clark
Higgins Marshall Membrey
Butler King Gresh
Ryder Crouch Jones

Dmac ahead of Clark on A WING.
Clark ahead of Byrnes. As a mid.
Sorry but McKenzie isn’t best 22, yep he’s had a few good weeks but with everyone available he’s only a depth player.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

McKenzie is the perfect depth player. If he was any better, there’s no chance in hell he’s sticking around as he would be looking for better opportunities else where. You need a few of these on your list.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I like McKenzie. Yes, he has the occasional brain fade, but he’s quick, tough and aggressive. And seems to love a goal.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 05 Jul 2021 7:52pm McKenzie is the perfect depth player. If he was any better, there’s no chance in hell he’s sticking around as he would be looking for better opportunities else where. You need a few of these on your list.
Wow. I’m shocked

We’ve finally found the 1 thing that Richo got right? 8-) :mrgreen:

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Mon 05 Jul 2021 8:20pm I like McKenzie. Yes, he has the occasional brain fade, but he’s quick, tough and aggressive. And seems to love a goal.
Looks much more assured up on a wing. He runs hard both ways, draws tacklers to help us break lines.

Paton over Webster if it had to be a choice. Paton has arguably been our worse loss this year, he will be a AA small back on the trajectory he showed last season.

He & no rucks at the beginning of the season certainly upset our balance and structure.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Our backline looks pretty set

Highmore - Howard - Paton
Hill - Wilkie - Sinclair
7th - Webster
Depth
Connolly, Coffield,

Midfield
Ross - Crouch - Clark
Ryder - Steele - Gresham
7th - Dunstan
8th - Jones
Depth
McKenzie, Bytel, Byrnes

Forward Line
Higgins - Membrey - Billings
Marshall - King - Butler
7th Long/Battle
Depth Battle/Long

Pretty Balanced

Player that may be expendable that are best 22
Billings, Ross, Battle, Coffield

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Hard to know if Paton would have played as well this season and if his form in the COVID cup was sustainable...think Longy. It was a weird season in 2020 and clearly our ladder position was an aberration.

Hopefully we have incredible luck with injuries in 2022 not effected by COVID and see how they playing group performs.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Have to play both I believe. Webster has been great defensively this season on some very dangerous forwards. Paton provides the stability down back.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
B.M
Saintsational Legend

They do play a very similar role though

In the back six
Sinclair and Hill pls as running backs
Highmore has replaced Coffield as a medium
Wilkie plays as a 2
Howard plays as the number 1
Webster plays lock down - the role Paton would play

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 05 Jul 2021 5:57pm
Saintmatt wrote: Mon 05 Jul 2021 10:56am
SAINT-LEE wrote: Mon 05 Jul 2021 1:57am Ya….with brain cells….recall….the screws…

Billings…. lucky...early to mid 2nd round pick…
St Kilda…not…chance to screw….

He can re-sign with St Kilda or invite offers….
…AFL's secret herbs n spice formula.. it's generally acknowledged …not a snowflakes chance.. I think he'll likely end up with a Crouch value….our average …diabolical development outcomes…..Hard to judge Billings…foot injury…bung knee….
…we should be trading for …..key tall forward…

I'm fearful our last 2 wins will paper over the cracks, King desperately needs a chop out. In hindsight trading Bruce has cost us significantly.
Yeah, I only watched the last couple of years and Bruce was mediocre.

A couple of standout matches a year..Frustrating player, and used as a second ruck, it epitomised our mediocrity. Membery was better, who would have thought King would get in a pickle like this.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Daggumitt! Are you telling me even if we grew man plums we still can't knife anyone in a dark alley for their draft picks? We truly are the worst

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 06 Jul 2021 8:44am Hard to know if Paton would have played as well this season and if his form in the COVID cup was sustainable...think Longy. It was a weird season in 2020 and clearly our ladder position was an aberration.

I don't believe that was the case at all.