I think Ratts is cooked…

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I think Ratts is cooked…

Is he any good?

Gets out-coached almost weekly. Doesn’t seem to be able to motivate the players or hold the team to high standards…

I don’t want another 6 years of Richo…

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: I think Ratts is cooked…

Sounds like your cooked.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

All you need to do as a coach is show continuous improvement. Up until this year he has a pass.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

The_Dud wrote: Fri 30 Jul 2021 10:40pm Is he any good?

Gets out-coached almost weekly. Doesn’t seem to be able to motivate the players or hold the team to high standards…

Neither do I, but I’m sure there will be plenty who tell us to hang on to him, because he’s a nice bloke. Not saying we should get rid of him, but I remember how many Richo defenders kept leaning on the ‘good human’ argument. Very Stk
Last edited by SydneySainter on Fri 30 Jul 2021 10:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 30 Jul 2021 10:51pm Sounds like your cooked.
*you’re

Moods
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 30 Jul 2021 10:40pm Is he any good?

Agreed

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 30 Jul 2021 10:54pm
*you’re
Typo. 👏🏿

You’re a real loser and a troll.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 30 Jul 2021 10:56pm
*you’re
Typo. 👏🏿

I thought repeated personal attacks weren’t allowed on here?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Ratten IMO is in the same position Richo was post whatever year we nearly made the finals in his tenure

I started a thread on this at the time. We had been steadily improving, done ok but had some clear problems that needed to be addressed. Can’t be assed listing them but there were 4-5 things.
We had an incredibly underwhelming off-season and capitulated with those exact problems that had always been problems and needed to be addressed. He needed to adapt and he couldn’t.

Now Ratten is in a similar spot.
Under his reign, we’ve looked good and have there are problems

3 small forwards has been a disaster... the persistence with Kent is destroying his credibility
We’re short a CHB - Clav needs to play more
We need classy mids... Ross, Crouch, Dunstan, and Jones is too messy
Ruck depth is non-existent and we’ve looked terrible when Ryder and Marshall have missed
Set shots

He needs to address these areas this off-season and based on the way he continually perseveres with 3 small forwards and his blind faith in Kent... and his willingness to accept half efforts from some senior mids, I don’t know that he has the ability to adapt

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 30 Jul 2021 11:00pm
SaintPav wrote: Fri 30 Jul 2021 10:56pm
*you’re
Typo. 👏🏿

I thought repeated personal attacks weren’t allowed on here?
Repeated bullying?

Repeated trolling?

What about that?

Don’t play all innocent because it’s the truth so don’t get all sensitive; you know what you really are.

Just cry me a river, Dud.

You’re just a sook.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Injuries have killed us this year we have never had our best team on the track. What worries me about Ratten is he doesnt seem willing to change things up during a game.

Higgins and Byrnes werent used in the middle when Carlton were killing us and Crouch etc were having shockers.

Long was the obvious go to to tag Walsh on a wing, Particularly when the ball was pinging out of our forward 50. Tell Long to crunch him in a couple of tackles to take the wind out of his sails.

Even having Sharman on in the last 1/4 and a but made a huge difference to our forward 50. How they couldnt come up with another alternative backup pinch ruckman other than the Dud is just plain stupid!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

What Teague did with Walsh tonight was outstanding

Started him at HF (knew he was going to be tagged) on the ‘underdone’ Clark knowing Hill wouldn’t go near him. Goal.
Clark is a poor runner, Walsh elite.

Moved him to the wing where he outran Ross, is a far better outside player than Ross. His top speed running was too much.

Then went inside and got off the chain with his running power smashing our slow inside Mids.

Then he repeated that after HT

Great tactics against a guy we expected to start in middle and Ross would take him at clearance and body him

So they exploited Ross on the outside where he is less comfortable against an elite runner.

Use of the undersized ruckman to get an extra runner through the middle also worked
Silvagni had 25 and half a dozen clearances

They smacked us on the outside

Our tactics on the other hand - contested, clearance, territory game was the wrong way to combat Carlton at Marvel.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Re Kent ... it's a worry. Any coach who sees any value in playing him for 3-4 consecutive games in the last quarter of a lost season needs to have his head read.

The Recruit
Club Player

If there is a sniff of clarkson coming to us we should remove ratten immediately.

Ratts has lost some games this year is terrible terrible ways.
If he has a similar result next year I can’t see him getting another contract.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Am questioning his tenure for sure. But pretty much since the Essendope drubbing I’ve lost faith in Ratten, Lethlean, Finnis and the whole club. Bugger all hope for success IMO under the current coaching, admin and recruiting regime.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

For an experienced coach he is very slow to see the obvious or his faith in his instinct's is way off the mark . Blind Freddy could see we were getting owned in the first quarter but nothing really changed & they just got more confidence & the game was pretty much over at half time IMO

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I think the problem with Ratten is that he's too nice .
I don't know if he had that Hard arse quality ( like Clarkson , Dimma , Malthouse etc...) when coaching Carlton .
But he doesn't seem to have it with us .

In red white and black from 73
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

You sure. Seems to do ok. Got King mobilised and Hill to play a couple of good games. A number of our players over 25 are complete wack jobs though and pretenders. Clean out of players coming - soon. One too many pitiful performances on the big stage will not be forgiven this time. They have said unacceptable before, but not this presser as its now a given. He was livid and some are going to understand what unacceptable means. And to hurt the coach's pride so badly.

Of course we were vulnerable though: trip to WA and Qtine, big match, close loss, Paddy out, Sinclair out, Clark underdone, Higgins underdone, Highmore wounded and the boarding house pudding head brigade just did not turn up when they absolutely had to. Can't coach the un-coachable, move them out.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote: Sat 31 Jul 2021 1:12am I think the problem with Ratten is that he's too nice .
I don't know if he had that Hard arse quality ( like Clarkson , Dimma , Malthouse etc...) when coaching Carlton .
But he doesn't seem to have it with us .
Yep that, wants to cuddle up to the playing group doesn’t have an edge - look at Beverage his players say ..he knows when they need a pick up but can also kick them up the area ...threatening to trade Libba few years ago when he went off the chain with behaviour.
We have no balls to do that abs the only coach we’ve had who would was Lyon - see Dal, Milne dropped abs you hear Riewoldt talk about it often
I also agree with others....he’s proving incapable of adapting Ratten - poor selections and constantly persisting with 3 smalls when facts are that ain’t working with the cattle he has.
If the club extend him early next year I’ll be pissed

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Every club in the league runs 3 small forwards

Selection of Hunter was not required IMO

I think we are hoping like hell that the appointment of Ratten was the catalyst for success, and the failure of the previous administration came down to one man.

Fact is
All Successful teams have one thing in common
A healthy list of quality players

We haven’t had that since 2011

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 31 Jul 2021 1:46am Every club in the league runs 3 small forwards

Selection of Hunter was not required IMO

I think we are hoping like hell that the appointment of Ratten was the catalyst for success, and the failure of the previous administration came down to one man.

Fact is
All Successful teams have one thing in common
A healthy list of quality players

We haven’t had that since 2011
BS
Every club in the league has tried to run a Lonie, Kent and Butler ????
Actually the worst part is,....he doesn’t have the cattle/class to run it....but the muppet keeps doing it and can’t think another thought (he’d go all right on here actually..)

“Yeah….nah””
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Start of the game - watching King gobble up leads and kick true, then Weitering being warned for holding - I thought we were set for an open game - an old fashioned shootout - but then Teague made a few tweaks - and we did not - got jammed up and reverted to form - horrendous i50 entries. We were cooked - and looked it as well.

At quarter time - King had 3 (possibly a more experienced King would have got the fourth) and the Carlton D was on the back foot. Time for him to become the decoy and us use the other tall forward in Hunter - f@rk - ummm Battle - nope - ummm ........... Membrey. We have a potent weapon in King and we stretch the defense using smalls - WTF??? We need someone to draw heat from Max - or to be the other avenue to attack - and Membrey should be ripping the game apart playing on a 3rd defender

Not sure that Clarkson is the answer - but seriously - the time for hand holding is over - need players with a bit more Steele in their constitution - and a way of combatting game day changes....

Actually - perhaps Clarko is the answer - can we swing a 'Director of Coaching' role his way?

Or perhaps - and I would love this ......
Jack Steele and Lenny Hayes to publicly review each and every player weekly. [After the bullying claims are sorted out - we might get some players who develop pride in their output and hardness in their game]

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

And we need the list manager and the coach and the CEO and the Head honcho in charge of footy operations to stop with the scattergun recruiting policy

Aim for A graders or talented young players only and if you don't get them, please recruit youth and NOT delisted/retired/C grade players from other clubs

spert
Saintsational Legend

Two major problems this season- forward structure and stoppages. They are coaching issues that don't seem to be getting better.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

I think the problem for Ratts is that apart from Steel our leadership group were not up to. The best teams generaly have the best leaders. It’s hard to coach when your best leaders aren’t on the park and the ones you have out there regularly make skill and decision errors. Guys like Ross and Membrey, are not up to it. Geary and Hannebery have been really missed this year, Paddy being out last night was too much.