Inside Mail

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Inside Mail

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I have been reliably informed that Ben King had agreed to terms and is about to sign to stay put.

Sauce - definitely Pickle Juice

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Inside Mail

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 31 Jul 2021 7:14am Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I have been reliably informed that Ben King had agreed to terms and is about to sign to stay put.

Good, we don’t need him. Need quality mids first, then tall defenders.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Good news :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Laurie
Club Player

We only recruit mature age players who have history of soft tissue injuries and cannot get on the park and those who play bruise free footy with a kick it to me kick it to me watch me turn it over.
So will definately not fit to what we are looking for.

Why would he want to come to the saints anyway.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Debarcle if true

“Yeah….nah””
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Two Kings would be one too many (at least). We need two RoMas and another three mids the same size as the captain, and three backman, and two tallish half forwards.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

two kings would be infintely better than one king, and the next dud we recruit with our top pick, plus whoemever we package with the deal.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Its a shame if true - but I doubt it is!

I would have loved to see both rolling out in Saints colours, although I doubt we could match what GCS are prepared to pay Ben, like Max he is a 10 player you build a forward line around. Hopefully playing with his brother and team he grew up supporting means more to Ben than 200-300k extra per year?

I remember when Blight split up the Wakelin twins, who both should have had long careers with our club. Instead went on to have stella careers and play in grad finals for other clubs.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Sun 01 Aug 2021 9:02pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

He must have watched the game last night

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Scollop wrote: Sat 31 Jul 2021 5:17pm

He must have watched the game last night
Or got the inside story from his brother.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Is this BS?

“Yeah….nah””
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda is not a happy place this year…I can sense it! And Max just gotta wink at his brother to confirm it. Damn shame. Ben at centre half forward.

He might do a Gary Ablett like come back…like at 32.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
freely
SS Hall of Fame

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 31 Jul 2021 5:39pm St Kilda is not a happy place this year…I can sense it! And Max just gotta wink at his brother to confirm it. Damn shame. Ben at centre half forward.

He might do a Gary Ablett like come back…like at 32.
Yeah - I think the plan is for us to wait till his body's shot.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Truly depressing thread
I felt with 2 Kings we’d have that focal point of difference that would’ve been a nightmare to stop and set us on a path to a flag ... not to be

“Yeah….nah””
older saint
SS Life Member

if true not upset , good player but not whet we need . At this stage he would provide another tall forward for our poor ball users to miss on a pass

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 31 Jul 2021 6:32pm Truly depressing thread
I felt with 2 Kings we’d have that focal point of difference that would’ve been a nightmare to stop and set us on a path to a flag ... not to be
No use having gun forwards if the mids can’t get it down often/well enough and your defence leaks like a civ.

Use the draft/cap space it would have cost to get Ben to instead fix those bigger problems, and find another ruckman!

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

i'm not sure i'd wanna come to the saints

Shaggy
Club Player

I know Ben wanted to go to the Saints last contract negotiations.

But the offer he received was too good.

Now he is enjoying his football with his mates. Bonding should never be underestimated.

Everything is a moment in time.

Crossy66
Club Player

Shaggy wrote: Sat 31 Jul 2021 11:15pm I know Ben wanted to go to the Saints last contract negotiations.

But the offer he received was too good.

Now he is enjoying his football with his mates. Bonding should never be underestimated.

Everything is a moment in time.
Plus the AFL ordering saints to leave it alone and sneaky top up money for Ben.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 31 Jul 2021 10:26pm
No use having gun forwards if the mids can’t get it down often/well enough and your defence leaks like a civ.

Use the draft/cap space it would have cost to get Ben to instead fix those bigger problems, and find another ruckman!
It’s not mutually exclusive to get Bing and fix those issues
We would’ve be unstoppable

“Yeah….nah””
SaintJohno
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Sat 31 Jul 2021 10:47pm i'm not sure i'd wanna come to the saints
Careful mate, you'll get drafted the way we're going. I reckon you'd give it a good crack.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 01 Aug 2021 12:20am

The amount of money you’d have invested (about 15% of the salary cap) in 2 blokes playing in your forward line (exact same role) would leave you short in other parts of the field, the team would be unbalanced. Let alone the draft picks you’d have to give up for him.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 01 Aug 2021 12:27am

The amount of money you’d have invested (about 15% of the salary cap) in 2 blokes playing in your forward line (exact same role) would leave you short in other parts of the field, the team would be unbalanced. Let alone the draft picks you’d have to give up for him.
I don’t think they play the same at all so that’s a myth
Bing leads up
Max is contested
I also don’t think $$ is the issue - Max reportedly on 750k avg over his years / you offer Bing same IF he wants to play with his brother
It certainly doesn’t hurt Cats with Hawkins/Cameron or Tigers with Lynch/Riewoldt or lions with Daniher/Hipwood???
And I think we could comfortably save some $$ this year by cutting some deadwood not to mention Hannebery next year...

“Yeah….nah””
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 01 Aug 2021 12:33am

Bing leads up
Max is contested
I also don’t think $$ is the issue - Max reportedly on 750k avg over his years / you offer Bing same IF he wants to play with his brother
It certainly doesn’t hurt Cats with Hawkins/Cameron or Tigers with Lynch/Riewoldt or lions with Daniher/Hipwood???
And I think we could comfortably save some $$ this year by cutting some deadwood not to mention Hannebery next year...
Same role as in they’re both key forwards.

Those other combos you’ve mentioned have players in vastly different points in their careers (and Daniher wouldn’t be on too much).

Max and Ben would obviously be at the exact same points, so coming into their primes together, which means (if they’re as good as expected) would be commanding $1M+ each in a few years.

Not saying they wouldn’t win you some games, but I can’t see that working in a balanced premiership winning team.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 01 Aug 2021 12:49am
Teflon wrote: Sun 01 Aug 2021 12:33am

Bing leads up
Max is contested
Same role as in they’re both key forwards.

Those other combos you’ve mentioned have players in vastly different points in their careers (and Daniher wouldn’t be on too much).

Max and Ben would obviously be at the exact same points, so coming into their primes together, which means (if they’re as good as expected) would be commanding $1M+ each in a few years.

Not saying they wouldn’t win you some games, but I can’t see that working in a balanced premiership winning team.
Fair enough I don’t agree
They’re key forward but different styles abs we need 1 to push up further and I think Ben would be ideal here
IF this rumour was rubbish and it was possible I’d offer GCS Membrey and I’d do it this year
He’s been so so for a while now and we have to shake this list up it’s got mediocre ingrained in it
Sharman looks ok but we also have Battle abs other mid sized forward options we could persist with abs if it helped Suns who want mature players ...win win

“Yeah….nah””