Was the team distracted by mourning Shane Warne?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Was the team distracted by mourning Shane Warne?

On Friday night there was a lot of attention focussed pre-game on Shane Warne's love for St Kilda and his connections to the club over 30 years.

I don't know what was said in the rooms before the game but it certainly failed to fire up the players who went on to lose a game they were expected to win.

The same thing happened twice in previous years - the first was a pre-game address to the players by club legend Tony Lockett, followed some time later by the mourning of another club great, Danny Frawley. On both occasions the Saints lost games they were favoured to win.

Seems to me that these distractions at a crucial time in the preparation of the players may well have had a seriously negative impact.

Coincidence or real???

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Was the team distracted by mourning Shane Warne?

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 20 Mar 2022 12:02pm On Friday night there was a lot of attention focussed pre-game on Shane Warne's love for St Kilda and his connections to the club over 30 years.

I don't know what was said in the rooms before the game but it certainly failed to fire up the players who went on to lose a game they were expected to win.

The same thing happened twice in previous years - the first was a pre-game address to the players by club legend Tony Lockett, followed some time later by the mourning of another club great, Danny Frawley. On both occasions the Saints lost games they were favoured to win.

Seems to me that these distractions at a crucial time in the preparation of the players may well have had a seriously negative impact.

Coincidence or real???
You do realise the focus was for, AND by the TV audience alone. I would doubt his name would have even been mentioned in the change rooms while preparing for a game.

No excuses, the issue is very simple, this team is physically and mentally soft and our coach prefers cuddles over crunching tackles.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

The Frawley game was lost to the eventual Premiers - so I do not know how we were favoured to win - but I agree with your thoughts on:

Big Games
Memorial Games
Friday Night Games
Marquee Games
Milestone Games

We never truly show up until 1/2 time
[As opposed to our regular 1/4 time appearance]

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Not at all distracted by Warnie.

We were crap. A mess. And a tad unlucky at times.

Regulation s*** sandwich.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

If they were distracted by the Warne thing then my God … we have so many bigger issues to deal with

Go you red, black & white warriors
realdeal
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 20 Mar 2022 12:18pm The Frawley game was lost to the eventual Premiers - so I do not know how we were favoured to win - but I agree with your thoughts on:

Big Games
Memorial Games
Friday Night Games
Marquee Games
Milestone Games

Mentally fragile comes to mind.... instead of embracing the limelight and the moment we retreat, become reactive and shy away from taking the front foot...

A hallmark of the past 10 years...

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote: Sun 20 Mar 2022 12:51pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 20 Mar 2022 12:18pm The Frawley game was lost to the eventual Premiers - so I do not know how we were favoured to win - but I agree with your thoughts on:

Big Games
Memorial Games
Friday Night Games
Marquee Games
Milestone Games

Mentally fragile comes to mind.... instead of embracing the limelight and the moment we retreat, become reactive and shy away from taking the front foot...

A hallmark of the past 10 years...
There's that word again -- FRAGILE -- this list is as fragile as I've seen at a football club for an long time.

It just dawned on me, for the past few years we've been incorrectly focusing on what the issue is, it's just plain simple fragility, and in every sense of the word. Mentally and physically the team go missing when the moment arrives to deliver.

That's it plain and simple.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

They were distracted by the terrible handling of the ball and Poor coaching

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Seems to me that under Finnis the club has encouraged mental fragility. It's the touchy-feeliest club in the comp.

The pre-match cuddle room. Players meditating on the field. Virtue signalling on social issues. Carte blanche absences to players with emotional issues. A mentor for the coach.

All very well and good, but the AFL is a brutal combat sport, not table tennis. This needs to be addressed swiftly.

Methinks that GT for one can see this clearly and is getting very frustrated by it.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

They’re still mourning Rod Marsh.

It’s Warne’s turn next.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

No

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Seriously

amusingname
Club Player

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 20 Mar 2022 8:07pm Seems to me that under Finnis the club has encouraged mental fragility. It's the touchy-feeliest club in the comp.

The pre-match cuddle room. Players meditating on the field. Virtue signalling on social issues. Carte blanche absences to players with emotional issues. A mentor for the coach.

All very well and good, but the AFL is a brutal combat sport, not table tennis. This needs to be addressed swiftly.

Methinks that GT for one can see this clearly and is getting very frustrated by it.
Yeah, GT would never do something like cancel training because the players were feeling tired and decide to take them to the movies for the afternoon instead or anything like that would he?

repta
Club Player

there is absolutely no focus on winning a Premiership. No focus on just playing.

We are the Champion of selling off games (then not bothering to turn up) ... Tassie, China, Cairns etc etc
Every woke cause
Players who think playing is optional (Off season is best part of 6 months, however you need to 'go find yourself" in the season)

Dont even want to mention when we are given Marquee Games and not bother to show up (Good Friday anyone....)

repta
Club Player

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 20 Mar 2022 8:07pm Seems to me that under Finnis the club has encouraged mental fragility. It's the touchy-feeliest club in the comp.

the mental toughness of the Table Tennis players would flatten our rabble