NVM

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

NVM

I liked what I saw

Clearly he was a little nervous / tentative…but I saw enough for a first gamer

A lot stronger in the air than I imagined for such a slight bloke. Held his own a few times. Kicking wasn’t at his ‘elite’ level just yet but he was a little nervous I reckon

The mark and kick to maxy who took a beauty and then goals was mouth watering

#1 Ryder fan
Lennylegs
Club Player

Re: NVM

Yep, really came into the game in the second. Had a few of his tackles broken but that's okay. Keep playing the kid. He found the pace eventually.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Agreed. I think he was bloody terrific for a 1st game.

For a slight guy - he sticks a tackle (didn't expect that) and is quite good overhead. The kicking thing will sort itself out. You don't lose your talent and I loved that he was at least trying to pick off some of those kicks. That's going to transform us if we can find a good connector between HB & HB.

Go you red, black & white warriors
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

He was really impressive. Looks a gun

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Looked a bit at sea in the first half but found his feet in the second & had decent debut. Looked composed & moved very well for a first gamer. Look forward to seeing him thrive & become a star of the future for us.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Technically, that was his second game and he did much better than Owens last week. So he stays in for another week.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Need to get this kid to 40-50 games as quickly as possible over a couple of years. Really hope he gets 12-25 games a year minimum

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 28 Mar 2022 9:54pm Need to get this kid to 40-50 games as quickly as possible over a couple of years. Really hope he gets 12-25 games a year minimum
Yep agreed just play him
Let’s be honest we are a middling side with too many low skilled players
We are not even making up finals numbers
Time for this club to decide - do we continue to top up OR bite the bullet and go hard to build a side that can genuinely challenge
That means games into talent and NWM with confidence will be the type of player that lifts our football ability
I’m a quiet wrap for Connolly also - has Sinclair traits (look what he’s done in 2 weeks to our slow, average skilled midfield??) get games into him now

“Yeah….nah””
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Half decent debut ... missed a few targets but showed he wasn't out of his depth

A few times he went into a contested ball contest with his head up worrying where the hit was going to come from but maybe understandable given it was his first game and he is literally a rake ..... once his confidence grows and he puts on more weight that should disappear

Will make way once we get a few back but plenty to work with

Re: kick to King - think we are overstating it a bit - it wasn't like a kick to a lead in traffic rather a kick to a pack and King plucked it

Happy with his debut either way

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
stkfc1
Club Player

How much are we liking this kid so far? Thought he was "saintsational"last night. Great reader of the game with great skills to match. Windy also did some really nice things, kid will be a beast in a few years. Owens will also make it. Absolutely nailed the last draft.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1 wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 10:48am How much are we liking this kid so far? Thought he was "saintsational"last night. Great reader of the game with great skills to match. Windy also did some really nice things, kid will be a beast in a few years. Owens will also make it. Absolutely nailed the last draft.
Yep both good that’s the future keep playing them weed out the B graders

“Yeah….nah””
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

stkfc1 wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 10:48am How much are we liking this kid so far? Thought he was "saintsational"last night. Great reader of the game with great skills to match. Windy also did some really nice things, kid will be a beast in a few years. Owens will also make it. Absolutely nailed the last draft.
Yep, let’s make sure we develop them well with a long term view.

Too many times in out history kids have looked good early only to stagnate.

All 3 have something elite, Owens is a Bull, Windy tough and uncompromising for a rookie and NWM has class & skill.
Nice mark early in the 1st.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
spert
Saintsational Legend

I noticed NWM's second efforts and defensive work off the ball were really good last night, and that's one area we have been pretty ordinary at in the last few weeks

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

He has some size about him, good in the air. Another 3 pre seasons into him & this kid could be something very special.

The Vanganeen!!!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vat the F*** are you talking about you vankers

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 11:05am Vat the F*** are you talking about you vankers
You’re velcome!

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
SunnyErnie
Club Player

Who the hell is NVM?

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
Laurie
Club Player

Played a great game love the speed and hands of the kid.
Will only get better.
BOOM BOOM

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: NWM

Until last night I thought NWM was a poor mans version of Brad Hill.
Generally good disposal but not as good as Hill.
Did not accumulate possessions, deliberately avoided contests, did not tackle except for run downs from behind, softer than a cream puff.
A receiver.

But last night he put his body on the line, went in for the contest, tackled ferociously, hard as nails
Won his own ball.
That's what the Saints need from him.
Keep it up and Brad Hill will become replaceable.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
ace
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 11:31am Who the hell is NVM?
NVM is similar to NWM but as last night showed he is a vastly superior player.

I prefer the V version, does not fall over when Fraser Gehrig throws a fresh air punch like that cheat W.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

NWM is twice as good through the middle as NVM.

I was really impressed with his contested work last night. He won a lot of one on one contests.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

He played with confidence last night. Previously a bit stand offish, he was a lot more purposeful in wanting to win his own ball. I thought it was his best game for us last night. If he takes that desire to win the ball and chase into the remaining games for this year we will have an absolute weapon ready to roll next year after he has another pre season.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 4:24pm He played with confidence last night. Previously a bit stand offish, he was a lot more purposeful in wanting to win his own ball. I thought it was his best game for us last night. If he takes that desire to win the ball and chase into the remaining games for this year we will have an absolute weapon ready to roll next year after he has another pre season.
Totally agree. He was physically committed, stuck all his tackles and had a real go. That mark he took against his opponent was an absolute ripper, plus getting into defence to take an important chop out mark. A much more mature performance.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Looking at his situation in context... wasn’t really that strongly linked to us with most phantom drafts having him go to Essendon or even further past us.

Then at first look, most agreed that despite his obvious skill set, the man was thin as they come and looked like a breeze might blow him over... early consensus that he might get a few games late in the year and if we got some promise out of him, it would be a win.

I think it’s easily fair to say that NWM has far surpassed expectations... even if the most optimistic of his supporters.

He started initially chasing easy kicks and just passing the ball around safely... and his game has progressed to the point that he is actively taking in the same. Looks to burn opponents in the run, tries to thread the eye if the needle with his kicking, tackles more than you think he could with his size, will go up for a screamer... doesn’t shy away from a pack, often plays first decision football.

Here’s why are I am particularly impressed with.

The kid takes responsibility to make plays. He gets the ball and either dishes it off quickly, or sometimes holds it looking for the better option. Relies on his composure and agility to evade an opponent and find a great option. That in itself is already impressive... here is the rub though.

Sometimes he stuffs it up. In fact, he’s had a few patches where he has made 2-3 mistakes in quick succession... and he’s had at least one game where he had the opposite of the Midas touch. Unlike other players though... this kid has some degree of resilience that far surpasses his experience.
NWM doesn’t drop his head, lose confidence or shy away. There’s something in him that goes... yep stuffed that up but I better get on with it and do better next.

I love it.

He looks like (and I mean this figuratively) the player that I always wanted Raph Clarke to become. Explosive, smart midfielder that was better aerially than you could expect, but was really a great play maker.

My hope/concern for him is his the fitness staff manage his body. Kid needs to keep his speed/agility, be as fit as Brad Hill and not under any circumstances, look to baulk up. I want to see him fit and lean kind of like what Stephen Milne was like... Milne was in great shape for his size but never got too heavy.

Really excited about this kid