Are we (finally) seeing the emergence of A graders?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Are we (finally) seeing the emergence of A graders?

To join Steele.

Sinclair was simply superb today. His disposal and dash has him up there with that A grade mid we’ve been crying out for.

King was almost non existent for 3 quarters. BUT when the game was on the line he literally did what Carey used to do. Drag his team across the line.

Gresham. He’s trying hard to be A grade. He reminds me a bit of Oliver 2-3 years ago. Wins it in close but needs to clean up disposal. Like Oliver has great toughness, dash, and creativity. Just needs to use it like Oliver.

We had a great win. These type of posts are what great wins are all about 😁

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Are we (finally) seeing the emergence of A graders?

Sincs and King are quickly climbing into A grade category for sure

…Gresh has a long way to go.

We had a great team effort today. Not many passengers.

If King gets the 3 votes from the umpires for the Brownlow I reckon a couple of our wingers might just get the 2 vote. I wouldn’t be surprised if DMac or Mason Wood get Brownlow votes. Wood was outstanding on the wing….as was DMac.

If Crouch and Ross play to their highest standard and if we get an even spread we’ll go a long way.

http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 2#p1945952

repta
Club Player

king was almost non existent until Grimes went off. He did take his opportunity so I do give him credit. However essentially he has played 2 good quarters of footy this year

Gresh is on his way. Still making his way back into form

Sinclair is becoming a gun.
Marshall has A Grader potential

Our big improvement should be in the B Grade players playing up to B+ level

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

If Syncs keeps playing the way he is absolutely he will be A grade at the end of the year.

King is still B grade. Needs to trouble and put worry into his opponents for a whole game and not 1.5 quarters. Having said that he will get better if our midfield gets better, the other forwards gave him space and the mids were getting it in quick and where he needed it.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Geez - ppl are harsh on King. Yeah he was well beaten for 3 quarters. But playing FF can be like that. His stats at the end were well and truly reflective of a good game for a FF. If you saw those stats before the game I reckon you'd all agree that this was a very good game that Max was about to have. The fact that he had 90% of the stats in the last quarter is immaterial to me because the game was absolutely on the line. If he'd done that when we were 6 goals down or up, then I wouldn't be nearly as bullish. We need players to stand up when it matters, and he did that. In fact for me he was BOG. He was the point of difference between the two teams. For me BOG is who has the greatest impact on a game's result, not who accumulated the most possessions over 4 x quarters.

I've been a big critic of Gresh over the last 3 years, mainly because of his disposal, specifically his kicking. But once again point of difference is that he has what many of our mids don't have - that is pace to burn. And toughness to go with it.

Sinclair has amazed me. He was in and out of the team a couple of years back. Now he is verging on becoming seriously elite. Clean with ball in hand, makes good decisions and is a very nice kick. Also attacks the footy hard and is quick. I love him

Freebird
Club Player

sinclair is also a very good tackler

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Freebird wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 1:18pm sinclair is also a very good tackler
No player at AFL level should have their toughness questioned from behind a keyboard, but it would be hard to argue that the Sinclair of 2017, 2018 & 2019 while skilled and a good player, played a brand of football that was not remotely physical.

To his credit he has turned himself into a courageous player in the contest, in tackling and also in marking contests when required.
In awe of what he has done to take his game to this level.

Perhaps Hill who is also not a physical player could take inspiration from Sincs.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Membrey and Wilkie are elite at their roles. Ridiculous they don't get more fan fare.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

King will be A grade (and an AA) when we see him being involved in the game for at least 3 quarters

Sinclair was our 2nd best last year and looks like he may go another level this year. He may very well be A grade now and should be in the AA squad.

Parts of Greshams game are A grade , but some parts are not. However he need to start hitting targets by foot on a regular basis to make the leap to A grade and come into the conversation of being an AA.

Marshall’s best is very good but centre bounces are always going to be his Achilles heel, and inevitably will hold him back from being AA.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 12:22pm If Syncs keeps playing the way he is absolutely he will be A grade at the end of the year.

King is still B grade. Needs to trouble and put worry into his opponents for a whole game and not 1.5 quarters. Having said that he will get better if our midfield gets better, the other forwards gave him space and the mids were getting it in quick and where he needed it.
Also with Max, it would be great if he can improve his goal kicking. Could easily have kicked 6 goals in the last. 7 if you count the one where he marked it and played on instead of going back and taking a kick.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

We need those players putting efforts in for the majority of the season, before we declare them A graders. But sh*t it was nice to have our team running on top of the ground right up until the final siren. The confidence they will get from that win would be enormous!

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 6:45pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 12:22pm If Syncs keeps playing the way he is absolutely he will be A grade at the end of the year.

Also with Max, it would be great if he can improve his goal kicking. Could easily have kicked 6 goals in the last. 7 if you count the one where he marked it and played on instead of going back and taking a kick.
His routine still seems random, twirls and flicks the ball in his run up and kicks very close to the man on the mark. When he connects with the ball sweetly it launches of his boot, those two from outside F50 sailed through at about 3/4 of the goal post height. He really started to play up the ground a fair way in the 3rd when we were still 25 points down, was involved in a few nice plays leading up to Crouchy's goal that started the turn around. Must have been trying to get involved in the game because up to that point we was very quiet. It worked.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Did Paton go onto Bolton if so he is on his way also!

PADDLEPOP1000
Vazelos
Club Player

Sinclair has reached elite a seriously good footballer.
King reaching the next level to super star status quickly.
Steele elite for 2 seasons now.
That’s 3 genuine A listers for me now.
Quite a few in the strong B +class level-
Howard Crouch Gresham to name a few.

What excites me is the 2021 draft group of players.
Windhager Owens doing very well at Sandy and Wanganeen Milera showing good signs in the seniors.
Interesting 12-36 months ahead

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Sincs IMO is A grade now & will only get better had a stand out year last year & has been even better this year & I reckon Marshall has the potential to be one as well not there yet but he is pretty handy IMO anyway

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair is a gun, love having a bloke with the confidence and skill to hit up difficult, attacking passes.

Gresh on the other hand is the exact opposite. Hits a target about as often as Sinclair misses. Knows how to find the ball but we don't need another midfielder who can't kick.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.