Selling games!!!!????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SunnyErnie
Club Player

Selling games!!!!????

It never ceases to amaze me how some people never learn. Abandon Tassie, abandon NZ and now it's abandon Cairns. :shock: :shock: :shock:

We can't just keep running away from things that are difficult. If we didn't have a $10 Million debt then maybe it would be a different story. But the reality is we have this massive debt weighing us down and we have to think outside the square to rid ourselves of it.

My preference was to embrace Tassie but unfortunately BUTTHEAD (Rod Butters), did not agree with me. That was me nearly 20 years ago at the AGM when during Q & A I told BUTTHEAD and the board that abandoning Tassie was very short sighted and would one day come back and bite us on the bum. And it has bitten us big time. Look at how much money both North Melbourne and Hawthorn have made out of Tassie. And then look at us, still wallowing in debt.

We need to keep playing 1 game in Cairns each year to balance the books but at the same time do everything we can to get NZ up and running again. I believe the Western Springs redevelopment in Auckland has been delayed unfortunately. We need to try and see if we can somehow get AFL funding to get the project over the line. Once the redevelopment is completed then we can get rid of Cairns and play in Auckland every ANZAC day. But the most important thing is to rotate the interstate teams that we play there each year, excluding Sydney and Brisbane. ie on ANZAC day in Auckland we play the following teams on a rotational basis. Gold Coast, GWS, Adelaide, Port Adelaide, West Coast and Fremantle.

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
Bowey Boy
Club Player

Re: Selling games!!!!????

St Kilda will never die and we do not have to flog off our games for $$$. We paid off Jihad stadium for the AFL despite no real need for it to exist. Happy to play the Adelaide teams in Ballarat but otherwise we have been bent over enough already. Send GWS and Gold Coast to China, New Zealand and the like, cos nobody misses them and most would prefer it was a one way trip in any case.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
SunnyErnie
Club Player

Bowey Boy wrote: Sun 01 May 2022 11:23pm St Kilda will never die and we do not have to flog off our games for $$$. We paid off Jihad stadium for the AFL despite no real need for it to exist. Happy to play the Adelaide teams in Ballarat but otherwise we have been bent over enough already. Send GWS and Gold Coast to China, New Zealand and the like, cos nobody misses them and most would prefer it was a one way trip in any case.
You obviously don't see the benefits in playing in NZ on ANZAC day every year?

NeXus
Trixilver
Club Player

I believed in NZ. The trouble was we could never bloody win there. Maybe it was something to explore once we had a stronger side. You can't expect to play there for a decade and build a following by losing every time you play there, even to weak as s*** teams like Carlton.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

Trixilver wrote: Mon 02 May 2022 2:03am I believed in NZ. The trouble was we could never bloody win there. Maybe it was something to explore once we had a stronger side. You can't expect to play there for a decade and build a following by losing every time you play there, even to weak as s*** teams like Carlton.
When Hawthorn started playing in Tassie they were a bottom 4 team. In 20 years of playing down there they have made over $30 million and picked up many members

NeXus
casey scorp
Club Player

Tasmania is a very different proposition to NZ - Tasmania is/was a football state crying out for live and attention from the AFL. It’d be far more difficult to get engagement with a NZ population, or Cairns for that matter.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

SunnyErnie wrote: Mon 02 May 2022 9:14am
Trixilver wrote: Mon 02 May 2022 2:03am I believed in NZ. The trouble was we could never bloody win there. Maybe it was something to explore once we had a stronger side. You can't expect to play there for a decade and build a following by losing every time you play there, even to weak as s*** teams like Carlton.
When Hawthorn started playing in Tassie they were a bottom 4 team. In 20 years of playing down there they have made over $30 million and picked up many members
One of our biggest mistakes was abandoning the Tassie market.

We had a great supporter base there due to our historic player great Saint ex Tassie player links.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Mon 02 May 2022 1:55am
Bowey Boy wrote: Sun 01 May 2022 11:23pm St Kilda will never die and we do not have to flog off our games for $$$. We paid off Jihad stadium for the AFL despite no real need for it to exist. Happy to play the Adelaide teams in Ballarat but otherwise we have been bent over enough already. Send GWS and Gold Coast to China, New Zealand and the like, cos nobody misses them and most would prefer it was a one way trip in any case.
No.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

4.18 was the reason we lost, not selling the game or playing in greasy conditions.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
SunnyErnie
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 02 May 2022 11:45am
No.
Would you like me to list them for you saynta?

NeXus
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Mon 02 May 2022 11:52am
No.
No don't bother. Kiwis are not into australian rules football. It's like trying to sell me f****** soccer or Thugby . I am just not interested.

I just want the saints to wake up and play their home games at HOME,

SunnyErnie
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 02 May 2022 12:10pm
No.
No don't bother. Kiwis are not into australian rules football. It's like trying to sell me f****** soccer or Thugby . I am just not interested.

Don't you realise that we are being weighed down by a massive debt?

NeXus
repta
Club Player

We do it for money

Yet we NEVER (well rarely) ever win when selling these games away.

Therefore at the end of the year and we miss the Top 4 or Top 8 by a game. How much does that cost in regards to Sponsors and Fans

AFL will never telecast another game from Cairns after that debarcle. No one in their right mind will go up to Cairns in April after that showing.

Therefore who that thought playing in Cairns in the wet season was a good idea (seriously hold them to account).

If you are going to do it do it right. Commit, do it in July / August when the weather up there is beautiful. GO up and hold clinics with the local schools and clubs. DO it properly. Not fly in fly out. Hit Run and Lose missions that provide a sugary hit but provide long term issues and problems

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

No.

Yep. Most Kiwis have barely heard of Aussie Rules, let alone care about or are interested in it. They're demented about rugby. Waste of time trying to establish a fan base in NZ or anywhere outside Australia.

longtimesaint
Club Player

I don’t like selling games but if we miss goals from 20 metres out directly in front we deserve to lose.
Also Steele running near the mark of a free gifted them @ goal.
That in a game when goals are very difficult to kick is a killer.
All our players should be told to concentrate and not give away 50 metre penalties.

One year will be our year
SunnyErnie
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Mon 02 May 2022 4:14pm
No.

Yep. Most Kiwis have barely heard of Aussie Rules, let alone care about or are interested in it. They're demented about rugby. Waste of time trying to establish a fan base in NZ or anywhere outside Australia.
I strongly disagree Byron. If you recall our first game in Wellington had over 22,000 people attend. The last 2 games were in the mid teens. And that was in Wellington. Imagine if we started playing in Auckland!!?? One game a year on ANZAC day is perfect for us and then we can forget about Cairns

NeXus
repta
Club Player

SunnyErnie wrote: Mon 02 May 2022 10:25pm
No.

I strongly disagree Byron. If you recall our first game in Wellington had over 22,000 people attend. The last 2 games were in the mid teens. And that was in Wellington. Imagine if we started playing in Auckland!!?? One game a year on ANZAC day is perfect for us and then we can forget about Cairns

there was a lot of free tickets given away and in the last game the crowd was counted twice.

My issue is there is absolutely no chance of gaining supporters if you dont stand up. Hell or high water, you MUST WIN.
Otherwise you alienate your home supporters whilst not providing any incentive to the NZ/China?Darwin/Cairns/etc crowd to follow you.

PLayers hate it, Players appear to use it as a junket (well they certainly dont show up game day). Not sure of the stats but it would have to be 1-3 wins and 20+ something losses from sold games.
Cairns - No wins
New Zealand = No wins
China - No wins
Tasmania - there was a couple, but very very few.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

repta wrote: Tue 03 May 2022 11:55am
SunnyErnie wrote: Mon 02 May 2022 10:25pm
No.

there was a lot of free tickets given away and in the last game the crowd was counted twice.

My issue is there is absolutely no chance of gaining supporters if you dont stand up. Hell or high water, you MUST WIN.
Otherwise you alienate your home supporters whilst not providing any incentive to the NZ/China?Darwin/Cairns/etc crowd to follow you.

PLayers hate it, Players appear to use it as a junket (well they certainly dont show up game day). Not sure of the stats but it would have to be 1-3 wins and 20+ something losses from sold games.
Cairns - No wins
New Zealand = No wins
China - No wins
Tasmania - there was a couple, but very very few.
It’s good that they gave free tickets. That’s how you grow your brand and get more exposure

NeXus
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Remember that China wasn't our party.
Port Adelaide orchestrated that and then convinced us to give up a home game.

Would love to know, other than the immediate cash injection, what financial benefits we actually obtained from any of the selling of our home games we recevied.
I wonder how North is doing out of the Hobart experiment.
With the possibility of Tassie getting their own team, has it all been for nought?

How many paying NZ members did we get from the 3 Wellington games? How many new sponsors did we attract?

Give me wins any day of the week. Winning performances attract members, sponsors, and prime time TV slots - which in-turn fuel more members and sponsors.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

We sold 4 premiership points.

That’s it.

There’s nothing more to debate.

What the F?

Numskulls !!

What t we even discussing?

We leveled the playing field to an absolute game of two-up.

I’m not even a member and I’m furious.

But we know we are known to be 5he most subsidized Melbourne club, so we pay out dues, which means forfeiting 4 or 8 points a year based on fixture.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SunnyErnie
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 03 May 2022 5:55pm We sold 4 premiership points.

That’s it.

There’s nothing more to debate.

What the F?

Numskulls !!

What t we even discussing?

We leveled the playing field to an absolute game of two-up.

I’m not even a member and I’m furious.

But we know we are known to be 5he most subsidized Melbourne club, so we pay out dues, which means forfeiting 4 or 8 points a year based on fixture.
I thought you played more than 100 games for us? Surely that makes you a life member?

NeXus