AFL says sorry to female umpires.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

AFL says sorry to female umpires.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/we- ... 5ai99.html

Interesting to note that the great bulk of the sexism and sexual harassment towards the females comes from within the umpiring ranks.

From a different age article.

"“The bigger issue for them was that away from the football field - at training or before games or after games - it was their fellow umpires or coaches. There’s very little in this study that talked about players, and them [the umpires] having issues with players. It was really about the culture of the actual umpiring groups.”

In the University of Sydney report that collated interviews with 27 umpires from state leagues and community football, one umpire said she heard a colleague remark about her breasts, and another said she received unsolicited nude photos from fellow umpires as well as being touched inappropriately during games."

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: AFL says sorry to female umpires.

Sexism in the work place is a huge issue across every industry, why would this be different?

There are plenty on this site who should hang their heads in shame regarding this exact subject also.

Other notes were...

Another junior level umpire tells the report she was told by an U11s coach: “I don’t want you to umpire, you’re a female, you can’t umpire. I want these boys to be umpired by a proper umpire”.

Another umpire said: “Someone from the crowd, a supporter yelled out, ‘Why don’t you open your eyes instead of your legs, you stupid s***”.

Another said: “There was one of the coaches that would always try to talk to me and meet up with me outside of training and stuff and it was clearly really uncomfortable for me”.

Glouftsis, the first female field umpire at AFL level, said: “While umpiring juniors through to state league level, I’ve worn uniforms that don’t fit, used change rooms that impose segregation and have had my ability to perform questioned due to my gender by spectators, players, coaches, the media, umpiring peers and umpiring coaches”.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Always knew there were turds amongst the umpiring ranks. This report only confirms that.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Don't care if they're male/female young or old as long as they know the rules and remember they are just one part of the game.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Wed 04 May 2022 1:13pm Don't care if they're male/female young or old as long as they know the rules and remember they are just one part of the game.
Hammer, nail & head.
I'll go one step further and state that emotion must be removed & YES they MUST understand the rules.

Also those who must understand the rules and remove their emotion are those who judge the umpires.
Anyone who does not understand the rules and gets emotional accusing umpires or conspiracy, bias and blatant cheating should hang their head in shame for contributing to these issues, particularly when that abuse is directed at a female umpire and references her gender.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 04 May 2022 6:11pm
CURLY wrote: Wed 04 May 2022 1:13pm Don't care if they're male/female young or old as long as they know the rules and remember they are just one part of the game.
Hammer, nail & head.
I'll go one step further and state that emotion must be removed & YES they MUST understand the rules.

Also those who must understand the rules and remove their emotion are those who judge the umpires.
Anyone who does not understand the rules and gets emotional accusing umpires or conspiracy, bias and blatant cheating should hang their head in shame for contributing to these issues, particularly when that abuse is directed at a female umpire and references her gender.
Can do what I or we want on a fan forum.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Wed 04 May 2022 6:55pm
Hammer, nail & head.

Yes Curly, we know you’re ‘free’ to post blatant lies and abuse umpires, stop rubbing it in!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Hammer, nail & head.

Whispers in the sky.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 04 May 2022 7:33pm
Hammer, nail & head.

Yes Curly, we know you’re ‘free’ to post blatant lies and abuse umpires, stop rubbing it in!
More abuse. Keep it up. :roll:

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Hammer, nail & head.

Oh poor Dud your swipes are wasted your foolishness was on show today.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 04 May 2022 7:47pm
Hammer, nail & head.

More abuse. Keep it up. :roll:
Yes I know you keep abusing umpires Stinger, starting this thread to try again absolve your behaviour isn’t fooling anyone 👍

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Hammer, nail & head.

Why do you think this post was directed at your behavior?

This was a generic response to your post to those who…
1. Do not understand the rules of AFL football
2. Accuse umpires of conspiracy, bias and blatant cheating
3. Abuse an umpire based on gender

I do respect you for owning the above 3 points and hope you can control your emotions in future 👍

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 04 May 2022 8:41pm
Hammer, nail & head.

Why do you think this post was directed at your behavior?

This was a generic response to your post to those who…
1. Do not understand the rules of AFL football
2. Accuse umpires of conspiracy, bias and blatant cheating
3. Abuse an umpire based on gender

I do respect you for owning the above 3 points and hope you can control your emotions in future 👍

Oh Oriole your so humerus.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Wed 04 May 2022 9:04pm
Oh Oracle, you're so humorous!

You're improving Curly, you were correct with 40% of your words this time :wink:
Unless you were specifically suggesting I am an upper arm bone, and if so your correct percentage rockets to 60.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 04 May 2022 9:26pm
CURLY wrote: Wed 04 May 2022 9:04pm
Oh Oracle, you're so humorous!

You're improving Curly, you were correct with 40% of your words this time :wink:
Unless you were specifically suggesting I am an upper arm bone, and if so your correct percentage rockets to 60.
Even funnier the ultimate squeezer. The bloke sweating on someone’s predictive text.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

saynta wrote: Wed 04 May 2022 7:45pm
Hammer, nail & head.

Whispers in the sky.
What year was that, 2005?
Glad you’re not hanging on to one incident 17 years ago to justify the vitriol of a small (minded) minority.

How many of the umpires involved in that incident are still officiating today? How many of today’s batch would have even heard of the term ‘whispers in the sky’?

Surely you are not blaming the sins of the father on the current crop?

Why do mistakes & incompetence become blatant cheating, bias and an AFL conspiracy against the Saints?
Why is the free kick count only relevant when we are in arrears?
Why are mistakes in our favor justified but to the other team become cheating?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Whispers in the sky was a blatant case of umpires cheating a side they were pissed off with and makes a mockery of your sanctimonious sentence which I have quoted below, no matter how long ago that happened.

"Anyone who does not understand the rules and gets emotional accusing umpires or conspiracy, bias and blatant cheating should hang their head in shame for contributing to these issue."

Finna
Club Player

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens when the woke AFL introduces trans umpires..... 8-)

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In.......
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 05 May 2022 10:55am Whispers in the sky was a blatant case of umpires cheating a side they were pissed off with and makes a mockery of your sanctimonious sentence which I have quoted below, no matter how long ago that happened.

"Anyone who does not understand the rules and gets emotional accusing umpires or conspiracy, bias and blatant cheating should hang their head in shame for contributing to these issue."
The umpires got even with Thomas as they didn't like his criticism of their ranks in 2005, hence Whispers.
Would you agree with this summation?

If so, are you suggesting that the umpires still cheat against us in 2022 because of this isolated incident 17 years ago?

Do you blame Scott Morrison for John Howard's 2005 policies?
Is Grant Thomas to blame for Max King's goal kicking yips?
Could Rod Butterrs have quashed the Hanneberry deal?

Which umpires cheat and what is their motivation to do so?
You are an ex lawyer, surely motive is relevant in this instance.

How are they cheating against us when we are positive for free kicks in 2022?
Why is the AFL biased against us, does it relate back to 2005?
Why were the umpires cheating in our favor in 2009 & 2010?

I can't help that there are posters on this site that do not understand the rules of AFL football and can only fall back on bias, cheating and conspiracy to explain inconsistencies, difficult rules to adjudicate & sometimes incompetence.

Perhaps there is an anti Saint umpire in the ranks, perhaps some Saints were mouthing off from time to time and this had a negative effect in some instances, and other possibilities. But this moronic insistence week in week out that all umpires are blatant cheats and we are on the bad end of every AFL & umpiring decision is pure fantasy and the ramblings of individuals with an extremely low IQ.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 05 May 2022 2:29pm
saynta wrote: Thu 05 May 2022 10:55am Whispers in the sky was a blatant case of umpires cheating a side they were pissed off with and makes a mockery of your sanctimonious sentence which I have quoted below, no matter how long ago that happened.

The umpires got even with Thomas as they didn't like his criticism of their ranks in 2005, hence Whispers.

If so, are you suggesting that the umpires still cheat against us in 2022 because of this isolated incident 17 years ago?

I can't help that there are posters on this site that do not understand the rules of AFL football and can only fall back on bias, cheating and conspiracy to explain inconsistencies, difficult rules to adjudicate & sometimes incompetence.

Perhaps there is an anti Saint umpire in the ranks, perhaps some Saints were mouthing off from time to time and this had a negative effect in some instances, and other possibilities. But this moronic insistence week in week out that all umpires are blatant cheats and we are on the bad end of every AFL & umpiring decision is pure fantasy and the ramblings of individuals with an extremely low IQ.
You don't really expect a civil answer to the crap posted by you do you? More than happy with the umpiring this year anyway and glad to see you acknowledge that umpires can and do cheat for whatever reason.

I do understand the rules as do most followers of the game do despite your 'ramblings" to the contrary.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 05 May 2022 2:41pm

You don't really expect a civil answer to the crap posted by you do you? More than happy with the umpiring this year anyway and glad to see you acknowledge that umpires can and do cheat for whatever reason.

I do understand the rules as do most followers of the game do despite your 'ramblings" to the contrary.
I am of no doubt that Whispers in the sky was true and that those umpires deliberately favored Freo.

Perhaps as an avid follower of the games with a clear understanding of the rules you could share with me another instance since Whispers in the sky where umpires cheated against St Kilda, better still Blatantly Cheated.

Which are the umpires who cheat against us and what is their motivation to do so?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 05 May 2022 2:54pm

I am of no doubt that Whispers in the sky was true and that those umpires deliberately favored Freo.

Perhaps as an avid follower of the games with a clear understanding of the rules you could share with me another instance since Whispers in the sky where umpires cheated against St Kilda, better still Blatantly Cheated.

Which are the umpires who cheat against us and what is their motivation to do so?
2009 GF the umpire put his whistle to his mouth when Sneider was clearly held then refused to pay a free kick.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Thu 05 May 2022 3:42pm

2009 GF the umpire put his whistle to his mouth when Sneider was clearly held then refused to pay a free kick.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 05 May 2022 3:56pm

You’ve posted your Tinder photo on Saintsational champ.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Thu 05 May 2022 4:02pm
D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 05 May 2022 3:56pm

You’ve posted your Tinder photo on Saintsational champ.
[/quote]