Taking on the Premiers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Taking on the Premiers

There is not a great deal of support for St Kilda beating reigning premiers Melbourne in a little over an hour from now, and for good reasons as they remain undefeated after 7 rounds. But I believe the Saints are in with a real chance of causing an upset because the footy club has most definitely turned things around significantly in 2022.

Last weeks loss to Port Adelaide by a singular point was an aberration - the game should not have been played in Cairns this early in the year while North Qld is still subject to heavy rain, St Kilda won everywhere but on the scoreboard, mainly because of the shocking condition of the ground, so I contend that on a firm ground they would have won by a substantial margin.

It's a clear sign that St Kilda is on track to greater success when the Reserves team does well. Not sure who would make place for Clark and Billings if they're elevated - Ryan Byrnes has been in great form with Sandringham yet can't break into the 1sts.

Seb Ross, who was testing the waters in the off-season for a better deal and had been considered past his prime (OK, not by everyone Saynta!), has been in career best form, showing the considerable depth that this team now enjoys....

It is also encouraging to see the improvement in the coaching box this year, especially bringing Corey Enright onboard to impart some of the IP that he experienced at Geelong, which in turn has helped Brett Ratten to become a better strategist on gameday. With the players committing to unselfish football and gelling as a team so that they know that even when they are behind they can still find ways to win, it is simply a matter of improving their accuracy in front of goal that will secure them victory over the top teams in the comp.

Today will be a real measure of where St Kilda's is at, I believe they can match the Demons in every position, let's hope that either way it will be a great contest!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Taking on the Premiers

We won 5 games in a row and did what had to be done. There was no real statement match. Perhaps Hawthorn, in hindsight perhaps Freo. A win today would be an awesome statement and I believe we are up to it. King, Higgins, Membrey and Marshall must be on today engaging their defenders

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

If we kick 18 goals 4 behinds - we'll win.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

As I've posted before, I think that our biggest problem is that our forward line - King, Membrey, Higgins, Butler and, when they go forward, Paddy and Marshall - do not have enough firepower to overcome the gold-plated Melbourne defence.

We therefore need some of our other players to become attacking threats inside the forward 50. Gresham and Hill are the obvious ones, but I would also be looking to goals/assists from Steele, Jones, Wood and, now he's found his feet out on the wing, NWM.

Melbourne's defence is the rock on which their success is built. We have to find a way of disrupting it and putting the Dees on the back foot.

Oh, and I should have mentioned, we also need to come as close as possible to matching them around the stoppages, and hope that several of their stars are down on their usual form. And a better than reasonable go from the umpires.

If we can bring all of that together, we'll win. It's possible, but unlikely.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Playing like they are frightened by them

Seriously

saint4life
SunnyErnie
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 08 May 2022 12:37pm There is not a great deal of support for St Kilda beating reigning premiers Melbourne in a little over an hour from now, and for good reasons as they remain undefeated after 7 rounds. But I believe the Saints are in with a real chance of causing an upset because the footy club has most definitely turned things around significantly in 2022.

Last weeks loss to Port Adelaide by a singular point was an aberration - the game should not have been played in Cairns this early in the year while North Qld is still subject to heavy rain, St Kilda won everywhere but on the scoreboard, mainly because of the shocking condition of the ground, so I contend that on a firm ground they would have won by a substantial margin.

It's a clear sign that St Kilda is on track to greater success when the Reserves team does well. Not sure who would make place for Clark and Billings if they're elevated - Ryan Byrnes has been in great form with Sandringham yet can't break into the 1sts.

Seb Ross, who was testing the waters in the off-season for a better deal and had been considered past his prime (OK, not by everyone Saynta!), has been in career best form, showing the considerable depth that this team now enjoys....

It is also encouraging to see the improvement in the coaching box this year, especially bringing Corey Enright onboard to impart some of the IP that he experienced at Geelong, which in turn has helped Brett Ratten to become a better strategist on gameday. With the players committing to unselfish football and gelling as a team so that they know that even when they are behind they can still find ways to win, it is simply a matter of improving their accuracy in front of goal that will secure them victory over the top teams in the comp.

Today will be a real measure of where St Kilda's is at, I believe they can match the Demons in every position, let's hope that either way it will be a great contest!
Why do Saints supporters get sucked in so easily?
We are not on track at all.

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
Sanctorum
Club Player

SunnyErnie wrote: Sun 08 May 2022 4:53pm Why do Saints supporters get sucked in so easily?
We are not on track at all.
Sure, today's loss was extremely disappointing. no two ways about it. The facts are that Melbourne right now are in a league of their own, there is not another team that has the ability to beat them and it's more than likely that they'll go on winning every game and win 2 premierships in a row.

The first half St Kilda played poorly and were soundly beaten around the stoppages and across every line, but there were brief passages in the 3rd and 4th quarters where the Saints got on top and reduced the lead. By any measure, Melbourne's top 10 players are well ahead of St Kilda's, as are their bottom 6 each one of who would be early selections in most teams.

I'm not seeking to make excuses because it is quite true that St Kilda failed to produce their best form, delivery to team mates was appalling and it was hard to name a single Saints player who finished in the top 5 for the game. Gresham, Long, Higgins, King, Butler were all soundly beaten, but having said that Melbourne were superb, they're a truly professional well drilled outfit that really clicks when they get going.

I disagree with your pessimistic outlook and suggest you change your name to "DarkErnie" because you regularly come out on this forum with bizarre provocative posts, criticise the club, the team and it's lifelong loyal supporters who have for decades genuinely believed the ethos of "Strength Through Loyalty", and remain hopeful in even the darkest hours!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Ummmm - point of interest

NON OF THE BETTING AGENCIES ARE BETTING ON WHEN ST KILDA WILL NEXT LOSE!!!!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!