Sharman

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Sharman

His goal in the 3 Rd quarter from the pocket.

Showed his instinctive play by running hard back to that pocket from a contest in the opposite pocket in order to take the mark and slot the set shot.

Did a good job on Stewart after quarter time, and some handy assists.

Good player, keep him in the side, let him develop alongside King

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
SunnyErnie
Club Player

Re: Sharman

Banger9798 wrote: Sat 14 May 2022 11:50pm His goal in the 3 Rd quarter from the pocket.

Showed his instinctive play by running hard back to that pocket from a contest in the opposite pocket in order to take the mark and slot the set shot.

Did a good job on Stewart after quarter time, and some handy assists.

Good player, keep him in the side, let him develop alongside King
Agreed. He is the perfect foil alongside King.

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Has earned his spot, we get shown up with too many small forwards. He helps us split the tall defenders.

Selection table will be tough.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Classy effort kept Stewart honest
He’ll be better for a run has to stay in the side
Great to see him get some reward for efffort too
No wonder Swans are stuffing round..

“Yeah….nah””
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Moves very well, a natural. I can see similarities to Jack Gunston in his build, accuracy, footy smarts and field kicking. Could be anything after a couple more pre seasons & hoping that anything is St Kilda's Gunston.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 15 May 2022 9:33am Moves very well, a natural. I can see similarities to Jack Gunston in his build, accuracy, footy smarts and field kicking. Could be anything after a couple more pre seasons & hoping that anything is St Kilda's Gunston.
June will be 1 year. As Higgins will be out this week, he should be able to stay in the side against the Crows

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 15 May 2022 9:33am Moves very well, a natural. I can see similarities to Jack Gunston in his build, accuracy, footy smarts and field kicking. Could be anything after a couple more pre seasons & hoping that anything is St Kilda's Gunston.
Was thinking the same thing last night re Gunston.

One thing I am now absolutely convinced of is our side is muuuuuuch better with 2 permanent tall options , even with and in addition to Paddy and RoMa being in the same side.

Although Sharman didn't set the world on fire and who knows exactly what role he was given, but at a guess it was don't compete for the ball if Max is in the area and if possible take a defender away from him.

Enter Paddy going to the forward line as the second tall.

That then looked like it gave Sharman some room also.

Anyway the days of the swarming small forward line as used by Richmond circa 2017 is old technology as far as I'm concerned. Bring back the two permanent tall forwards and let's get this party started.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I noticed on a few occasions that Sharman was in the clear inside 50 but the player bringing the ball in chose a longer option - One of those was to the pocket to Membrey who kicked a goal but Sharman was by himself 30 metres out directly in front.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Sanctorum
Club Player

I thought the same GL, Cooper Sharman (193 cm) is a slightly skinnier version of Jack Gunston but with a much better leap, he should remain an automatic selection because he reads the game really well, a strong pack mark and very good kicking style - he's 22 in July and after just 5 games has proven to be a very calm and collected player.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

A challenge for Sharman is that he’s an incredibly smart player that kind of knows how to do the right things in a contest to win out even if he doesn’t necessarily an elite stand out quality beyond his leap.

The problem becomes that he really is able to better capitalise when there are better quality mids and foils around him.

It’s happened twice now and is very noticeable that he’s come into the seniors without crushing it as Sandy and looked a heck of a lot better

Kid needs a sustained run at it IMO and they’re going to have to find a better measure of form at Sandy then kicking bags of goals.

He just looks a natural fit at the top level

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Having Sharman in the forward line as another tall marking option stretched the Geelong defence and this allowed Paddy to get off the leash a few times and harder to double team Max

Sharman in makes our forwardline more dangerous

It ain't rocket science .... look at Melbourne ..... Brown McDonald Fritsch & Jackson/Gawn ..... Brisbane have Daniher McStay & Billy Corgan

3-4 tall marking options is the way to go

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

I didn't get home from the game until after 11:00 PM and then watched the full replay. It was worth doing because you get to see clearly what you can't live, like what actually happens in play on the opposite side of the ground. After forensically watching the game a second time I found Sharman played a role foreign to him and played it well. He was the foward defending against Tom Stewart. I had watched Stewart against the Giants the previous week I was amazed with the ease he takes intercept marks and racks-up intercepts in general. We know he is a prolific possession winner.

Sharman had the role of keeping out of our way. Sure, he still had plenty of possessions but I only saw him take one intercept mark which was in the last quarter. Give me an honest answer, did Tom Stewart do St Kilda any harm yesterday? Sharmans game, as a stand alone performance, was good enough to keep him in the team. What he would have learnt about his own capabilities, though, would be immense.

Another upside was he proved a capable medium-tall replacement we have sorely missed since Jack Hayes went down. I noticed Membrey was able to roam more of the ground while Sharman kept Stewart deeper in our forward half. When Membrey gets a ticket to roam we usually win.

Well done Cooper, you had to earn a game and you will keep your spot and be a better player after yesterday 👍

Saint supporter since '62
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Has to be a regular no more of the “defensive forwards” who can’t kick a goal

“Yeah….nah””
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Sharman was in his 4th AFL game playing against Stewart who is a multiple All Australain. Sharman pressured, chased and created space as well as anyone could have and did enough to warrant more games.

Lets see how he goes when his main role is not to shut down or limit his defender/opponent?

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 15 May 2022 5:52pm I didn't get home from the game until after 11:00 PM and then watched the full replay. It was worth doing because you get to see clearly what you can't live, like what actually happens in play on the opposite side of the ground. After forensically watching the game a second time I found Sharman played a role foreign to him and played it well. He was the foward defending against Tom Stewart. I had watched Stewart against the Giants the previous week I was amazed with the ease he takes intercept marks and racks-up intercepts in general. We know he is a prolific possession winner.

Sharman had the role of keeping out of our way. Sure, he still had plenty of possessions but I only saw him take one intercept mark which was in the last quarter. Give me an honest answer, did Tom Stewart do St Kilda any harm yesterday? Sharmans game, as a stand alone performance, was good enough to keep him in the team. What he would have learnt about his own capabilities, though, would be immense.

Another upside was he proved a capable medium-tall replacement we have sorely missed since Jack Hayes went down. I noticed Membrey was able to roam more of the ground while Sharman kept Stewart deeper in our forward half. When Membrey gets a ticket to roam we usually win.

Well done Cooper, you had to earn a game and you will keep your spot and be a better player after yesterday 👍

Yes freeing Membrey to roam is a good knock on effect.
Those marks he takes on the wing are running nvaluable

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
B.M
Saintsational Legend

He was ‘only just’

9 touches and a goal

Didn’t play on Stewart - who lined up on the wing and floated back

McKenzie often had him

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Played well. He's a clean and effective player. Was wide open several times and not used so he could have snagged a couple more goals. Looking forward to seeing him play again

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 16 May 2022 12:26am He was ‘only just’

9 touches and a goal

McKenzie often had him
I'd rather someone getting 9 touches and a goal rather than some one wasting the footy or pinging at goal when it's beyond them.

A rushed snap or a selfish kick from an impossible angle usually results in a behind which is as good as turning it over.

Coop is a team player who played his role and shared the footy well. His Disposal Efficiency was very good too at 78%

By the way....we had 3 players with 100% DE. Ben Long, Dougal Howard and Callum Wilkie 8-)

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 16 May 2022 3:40am
B.M wrote: Mon 16 May 2022 12:26am He was ‘only just’

9 touches and a goal

McKenzie often had him
I'd rather someone getting 9 touches and a goal rather than some one wasting the footy or pinging at goal when it's beyond them.

A rushed snap or a selfish kick from an impossible angle usually results in a behind which is as good as turning it over.

Coop is a team player who played his role and shared the footy well. His Disposal Efficiency was very good too at 78%

By the way....we had 3 players with 100% DE. Ben Long, Dougal Howard and Callum Wilkie 8-)
Yep, Sharman rarely seems to blaze away, looks for the best option. Needs to stay in the team.

As for DE, Wilkie is a amazing. Whilst there are a lot of chip kicks across the backline, I cannot remember him stuffing up a kick this year. He also had 19 disposals, 13 of them kicks. The other two didn't have that many disposals, especially in the kicking department.

SaintDippa
Club Player

Hoping he evolves into a Sainter Robbie Gray. Elite footy brain, deadly around goal, always finding f50 space and receiver of perfectly placed Paddy palm pats.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think Geelong weren't sure of what Sharman's role was- he moved up and down the ground then stayed in the forward half for a while and it seemed to take a Geelong defender away from the ball successfully.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 16 May 2022 3:40am I'd rather someone getting 9 touches and a goal rather than some one wasting the footy or pinging at goal when it's beyond them.
You would seem to share this view with many footy fans: who become far more upset about clangers and missed shots on goal than do the players or coaching staff.

I watched the game on TV, so it's difficult for me to judge Sharman's effort. My impression was that he ran around the field a fair bit struggling to get involved. It was hard to tell the extent to which he might have been keeping good Geelong players occupied. As posters can't seem to agree whether or not he played on Stewart suggests to me that it's not just me who is uncertain as to exactly what his role might have been.

With Higgins out, I think he should be given another game to show what he's got to offer. But he didn't exactly set the world on fire.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

He doesn’t have to set the world on fire.

He was clean with his possessions and he has a team first approach. He was disciplined. He played his role

It’s not about being flash or kicking a bag. I think he complements our forward line

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Jacks Back wrote: Sun 15 May 2022 10:26am I noticed on a few occasions that Sharman was in the clear inside 50 but the player bringing the ball in chose a longer option - One of those was to the pocket to Membrey who kicked a goal but Sharman was by himself 30 metres out directly in front.
Was the Skunk goal, after the long kick by DMack?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Sharman had a running shot at goal in the last qtr, if he'd nailed it, would have been awesome.
I hope he stays in, as it lets Skunk off the leash

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee