The Young Guns!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

The Young Guns!

These guys need to stay in the team after the bye:
Marcus Windhager, Nasaiah Wanganeen-Milera, Mitchito Owens, and Cooper Sharman.

They might not be the strongest midfield we could portentially field against Brisbane but it is hard to mount an argument to drop them after today.
All four have X-Factor by the shovelful and are very hard to play against and match up on.
For the third week in a row Sharman kicks a clutch goal which gets us going, and offers a decoy in the forward line for Max.

Well done boys! Great game!

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Young Guns!

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 29 May 2022 7:22pm These guys need to stay in the team after the bye:

They might not be the strongest midfield we could portentially field against Brisbane but it is hard to mount an argument to drop them after today.
All four have X-Factor by the shovelful and are very hard to play against and match up on.
For the third week in a row Sharman kicks a clutch goal which gets us going, and offers a decoy in the forward line for Max.

We play the Lions at the GABBA.

Higgins, Clark, Butler (very good today) are all genuine chances to come in. Perhaps Billings, though the case is not as strong.

We got done in the midfield the last two weeks, and the Lions midfield is better than North or Crows. So with Steele and Bytel injured I think Clark will be in for rotations.

Our forward pressure has also lacked.

Owens while ok today as an outside player, was not that good at the ball-ups.

Windy has been quite good, but Higgins is better.

So the question is who goes out?

I can't see all of Marcus Windhager, Nasaiah Wanganeen-Milera, Mitchito Owens, and Cooper Sharman staying for Lions game.
Other possible outs: Paton, Wood and Long.

Sharman for Butler: We need more forward pressure.
Higgins for Windy. Unless he squeezes out someone else.
Clark for Long or Paton.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 29 May 2022 8:26pm
samuraisaint wrote: Sun 29 May 2022 7:22pm These guys need to stay in the team after the bye:

Higgins, Clark, Butler (very good today) are all genuine chances to come in. Perhaps Billings, though the case is not as strong.

We got done in the midfield the last two weeks, and the Lions midfield is better than North or Crows. So with Steele and Bytel injured I think Clark will be in for rotations.

I can't see all of Marcus Windhager, Nasaiah Wanganeen-Milera, Mitchito Owens, and Cooper Sharman staying for Lions game.

Clark for Long or Paton.
Not sure you watched the game today . Owens was inside mid deep forward.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saintbob
SS Life Member

CURLY wrote: Sun 29 May 2022 9:10pm

Clark for Long or Paton.
Totally agree, Owens was very, very serviceable as an inside mid.
I just can’t wait for Mitch, Nasiah and Marcus to get another preseason in the gym

Laurie
Club Player

Why omit Sharman good forward decoy and has kicked goals the last weeks when needed.
Oh can also take a good grab.
Long applies hardness at the contest some great hard tackles today which hurt his opponent the bump on McDonald was what i like to see from a small forward.
If i was to make a change i think it will be Paton for Clark.
Keep the young guns in the team all went well i thought today.
BOOM BOOM

realdeal
Club Player

It was fantastic that all 3 played today and they'll all play a big part in our future however, we need a lift in a few areas to compete with Lions, swans etc coming up.
Higgins is a definite and at least one of Clark, billings or butler also come in..

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Owens is clearly an inside mid who can play HF due to his size is a making threat.

Windhager is a HF who can roll through the middle

Heath a ruck who can go forward

W-Milera obviously a Winger

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Paton - OUT??? Why? Because you want a forward or midfielder? You're dreaming! Once Cameron lights up Webster, who you gonna call? Nutbusters???

Let's be real for a moment, Paton has killed Webster so far this season, both have been serviceable but Paton has been more solid. Crazy stuff, watch both, just not who you like.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Clark for Long or Paton.
I most certainly did watch the match today - I was there at the ground watching the game today and I did see him in the forward line, but I also saw him in the centre at the beginning of the game. I was cheering him on and thought he was great. And I also saw him lay ten or eleven tackles a lot of which he laid while he was playing on the ball, so he certainly brings the heat. He also kicked two goals which a lot of our more experienced players don't do regularly.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Not sure you watched the game today .
I sure did. My comment was a on his play when at the ball ups. We started the game with Owens, Crouch and Ross at the centre bounce with Ryder.
CURLY wrote: Sun 29 May 2022 9:10pm Owens was inside mid deep forward.
1/Again my comments was when he was at the ruck contests. When he was at the ball-ups including in the centre. When he was, he was in my opinion not that good today. He has the ability to be better at these contests in the future, but today he was not.

2/ I wrote: "Owens while ok today as an outside player, was not that good at the ball-ups."
Specifically when he did win the ball he was trying to burst through players like he does in the VFL rather than go around, or look for the quick dis off. Unfortunately players in the AFLL are better and more robust. It was only his second game and he will learn.

Mind you he was not alone as the North mids were on top of ours at the ball ups.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 30 May 2022 11:49am, edited 2 times in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 29 May 2022 10:17pm
I most certainly did watch the match today - I was there at the ground watching the game today and I did see him in the forward line, but I also saw him in the centre at the beginning of the game. I was cheering him on and thought he was great. And I also saw him lay ten or eleven tackles a lot of which he laid while he was playing on the ball,
There is a difference between playing on the ball which includes running and his outside game, and in setting up to the ruck in a ball up. My comment was specifically at the ball ups which I personally thought was the least impressive part of his game today.

Other aspects of his game were good including his pressure in the run with play.

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 29 May 2022 10:17pm so he certainly brings the heat. He also kicked two goals which a lot of our more experienced players don't do regularly.

Again my only negative criticism made was his play at the ball ups. He has to improve a lot to take on the better midfields.

That of course does not prevent him playing elsewhere in team with some rotations at the ball-ups so that he can learn and develop.

PS: If our midfield as a groups plays like it did against the Roos against most other teams, we will not stay Top 4 for long.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

In the tight in, contested stuff, the way Owens moves from one contest to the next is pretty damn impressive for a teenager. He just pounces on the player with the ball, and really attacks the contest. I see elements of Jack Steele and Patrick Cripps when he's in those tight contested situations. Some on here weren't impressed but I reckon our coaches and his team mates would have been rapt in his performance. In tow years he'll be the most powerful player on our list

Wanageneen-Milera is pure class. It's been a very long time since we've seen a kid like him at our club. Wait until he puts on 7kg and gets fitter. He'll be a star

Windhager is a natural midfielder. He's tough like Owens and doesn't panic when he's go the ball.

Throw in Max Heath who's showing signs of being a fine ruckman (3 years away but tracking nicely), 2021 will be a defining year in recruitment for our club

Saintmike65
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 30 May 2022 1:02pm In the tight in, contested stuff, the way Owens moves from one contest to the next is pretty damn impressive for a teenager. He just pounces on the player with the ball, and really attacks the contest. I see elements of Jack Steele and Patrick Cripps when he's in those tight contested situations. Some on here weren't impressed but I reckon our coaches and his team mates would have been rapt in his performance. In tow years he'll be the most powerful player on our list

Wanageneen-Milera is pure class. It's been a very long time since we've seen a kid like him at our club. Wait until he puts on 7kg and gets fitter. He'll be a star

Windhager is a natural midfielder. He's tough like Owens and doesn't panic when he's go the ball.

Throw in Max Heath who's showing signs of being a fine ruckman (3 years away but tracking nicely), 2021 will be a defining year in recruitment for our club

Heath will get his chance, if not this season then certainly next!

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Windhager reminds me of Selwood .... without the ducking

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Sanctorum
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Mon 30 May 2022 3:42pm Windhager reminds me of Selwood .... without the ducking
Don't worry Devilhead, it won't take him long to finesse "head-ducking" to milk a free :lol:

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 30 May 2022 4:05pm
Devilhead wrote: Mon 30 May 2022 3:42pm Windhager reminds me of Selwood .... without the ducking
Don't worry Devilhead, it won't take him long to finesse "head-ducking" to milk a free :lol:
Why. he doesn't seem to me like someone who wants to cheat the system

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 29 May 2022 9:46pm Paton - OUT??? Why? Because you want a forward or midfielder? You're dreaming! Once Cameron lights up Webster, who you gonna call? Nutbusters???

Let's be real for a moment, Paton has killed Webster so far this season, both have been serviceable but Paton has been more solid. Crazy stuff, watch both, just not who you like.
I reckon they've both been good.
The defensive group also look like a tight bunch and trust each other.
Note sure why there are calls to have Paton and or Webster dropped each week.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Pato is great defensively, but his decision making with the ball needs a lot of work

Saints58
Club Player

He reminds me more of a young Robert Harvey he was much the same with poise and toughness when whindhager gets a bit more experience he will be unstoppable what he does off the ball is really good for a young bloke.

Saints58
Club Player

speaking of young guns does anyone know why Oscar Adams is not playing in VFL the last 2 weeks he was going ok at FB?

Crossy66
Club Player

Laurie wrote: Sun 29 May 2022 9:29pm Why omit Sharman good forward decoy and has kicked goals the last weeks when needed.
Oh can also take a good grab.
Long applies hardness at the contest some great hard tackles today which hurt his opponent the bump on McDonald was what i like to see from a small forward.
If i was to make a change i think it will be Paton for Clark.
Keep the young guns in the team all went well i thought today.
BOOM BOOM
Re: paton- Clark -Different roles, different players.
Back six collectively very good even if individually they have a few average moments.

Sanctorum
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 30 May 2022 4:17pm
Lighten up saynta, just kidding.....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 31 May 2022 1:18pm
saynta wrote: Mon 30 May 2022 4:17pm
Lighten up saynta, just kidding.....
One would only hope so. Selwood is a f****** cheat and a smug prick with it..