Saints uncontracted players beyound this year

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saints uncontracted players beyound this year

From heraldsun.com.au

"St Kilda (14): Josh Battle, Jack Bytel, Tom Campbell (unrestricted free agent), Dan Hannebery, Tom Highmore, Darragh Joyce (unrestricted free agent), Dean Kent, Jarrod Lienert (unrestricted free agent), Ben Long, Ben Paton, Jack Peris, Paddy Ryder, Mason Wood (unrestricted free agent).

Dan Butler inked a fresh two-year arrangement on Tuesday, while new multi-season deals for Paton and Battle are imminent. Long seems to perennially be talked about as a trade target but talks are also underway for him to extend his stay at Moorabbin. Ryder wants to play on in 2023, while ex-Roo Wood is on track to play 20 games this year and should go around again. Fit-again Hannebery is in contention for an AFL call-up this week or next and a strong finish could earn him another year on the list. Lienert hopes he has done enough to extend his career for at least one more season after signing in the pre-season, and Highmore continues to perform at VFL level despite limited chances above."

older saint
SS Life Member

Re: Saints uncontracted players beyound this year

Keep:
Battle, Highmore, Bytel, Paton, Wood, Ryder
Peris - rookie
For right deal :
Long, Lienert, Campbell
Thanks for service - Joyce, Kent

Hannebery - IF he doesn't get injured between now and round 23 ( assuming no finals) then 1 year minimum wages with incentives for each game he plays . While seems low reality if his Medical costs will outweigh his contract

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

older saint wrote: Wed 27 Jul 2022 12:04pm Keep:
Battle, Highmore, Bytel, Paton, Wood, Ryder
Peris - rookie
For right deal :
Long, Lienert, Campbell
Thanks for service - Joyce, Kent

Hannebery - IF he doesn't get injured between now and round 23 ( assuming no finals) then 1 year minimum wages with incentives for each game he plays . While seems low reality if his Medical costs will outweigh his contract

Seems spot on to me

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

A guy on FB claiming ITK status that Billings didn't respond well to getting dropped. Speculation is all we have but I always wondered what his character was like and if he was the type to throw the toys out of the cot or would he respond in the right way after getting back in the team.

It won't surprise me if he's told his manager to find him a new club and has put himself in preservation mode for the remaining games.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

So Brad Hill still has 3 years, I just realised. Means our premiership window is wide open for quite a while. Somewhat of a relief given the unkind things some commentators have been saying about our list.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 27 Jul 2022 3:10pm A guy on FB claiming ITK status that Billings didn't respond well to getting dropped. Speculation is all we have but I always wondered what his character was like and if he was the type to throw the toys out of the cot or would he respond in the right way after getting back in the team.

It won't surprise me if he's told his manager to find him a new club and has put himself in preservation mode for the remaining games.
Straight swap for Brayshaw - #3 draft pick for #3 draft pick.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Wed 27 Jul 2022 3:38pm
Vortex wrote: Wed 27 Jul 2022 3:10pm A guy on FB claiming ITK status that Billings didn't respond well to getting dropped. Speculation is all we have but I always wondered what his character was like and if he was the type to throw the toys out of the cot or would he respond in the right way after getting back in the team.

You know it's funny MM I've wondered if the club would be apprehensive about recruiting a guy with a history of serious concussion. What message would it send to Paddy.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 27 Jul 2022 3:53pm
Mr Magic wrote: Wed 27 Jul 2022 3:38pm

You know it's funny MM I've wondered if the club would be apprehensive about recruiting a guy with a history of serious concussion. What message would it send to Paddy.
Valid point.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

This poster didn't respond well to Billings getting dropped, selection integrity is important for culture and team harmony.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I’ve heard as well that Bytel is unhappy with the coaching direction that he’s gotten and is intending to seek at trade at season’s end.

I’d hate to see him go personally. Not that he’s established per’se but IMO it’s rare that someone does the tough stuff as much as early as he started. Kid is a tacking machine. Needs more spread in his game not there is a lot there to like.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 27 Jul 2022 11:56pm I’ve heard as well that Bytel is unhappy with the coaching direction that he’s gotten and is intending to seek at trade at season’s end.

I’d hate to see him go personally. Not that he’s established per’se but IMO it’s rare that someone does the tough stuff as much as early as he started. Kid is a tacking machine. Needs more spread in his game not there is a lot there to like.
I don't think the club would be too concerned about losing Bytel as we have too many of the same type of midfilderrs as it is, I.e inside slow plodding bulls. We desperately need to get a line breaking goal kicking A grader in the midfield.

The best thing for the club would be is if Bytel came in this week and played well for the remaining 5 matches and raised his attractiveness to potential suiters.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote: Wed 27 Jul 2022 11:16pm

This poster didn't respond well to Billings getting dropped, selection integrity is important for culture and team harmony.
?

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Paton has been given a new 2 year contract.

As has Sharman.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

saynta wrote: Wed 27 Jul 2022 11:52am From heraldsun.com.au

"St Kilda (14): Josh Battle, Jack Bytel, Tom Campbell (unrestricted free agent), Dan Hannebery, Tom Highmore, Darragh Joyce (unrestricted free agent), Dean Kent, Jarrod Lienert (unrestricted free agent), Ben Long, Ben Paton, Jack Peris, Paddy Ryder, Mason Wood (unrestricted free agent).

Dan Butler inked a fresh two-year arrangement on Tuesday, while new multi-season deals for Paton and Battle are imminent. Long seems to perennially be talked about as a trade target but talks are also underway for him to extend his stay at Moorabbin. Ryder wants to play on in 2023, while ex-Roo Wood is on track to play 20 games this year and should go around again. Fit-again Hannebery is in contention for an AFL call-up this week or next and a strong finish could earn him another year on the list. Lienert hopes he has done enough to extend his career for at least one more season after signing in the pre-season, and Highmore continues to perform at VFL level despite limited chances above."
Highlighted players - de-list, retire, move on.
Rookie list Bytel if they think there is still something there to potentially make it and also Wood & Lienert as depth if deemed necessary.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

A bit concerning Battle hasn't been re-signed already.

If they loose Battle it will be the worst mistake the club has made in list management since letting Bruce walk.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 28 Jul 2022 12:41pm A bit concerning Battle hasn't been re-signed already.

If they loose Battle it will be the worst mistake the club has made in list management since letting Bruce walk.
Bruce really?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saynta
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 28 Jul 2022 12:50pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 28 Jul 2022 12:41pm A bit concerning Battle hasn't been re-signed already.

Bruce really?
How many kicks did he get against the saints recently? 2 wasn't it.? :wink:

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Bruce really?
I know you are really big on human rights and people having choice so....yeah!

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Bruce really?
We effectively swapped Bruce for Jones and a bit of spare change fell out of the pocket.

I don't think Bruce is better than a B grade player, but he would be a handy 2nd tall in our forward line right now whilst Jones is running around at Sandringham.

I'd take Bruce over Jones any day of the week.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Sharman and Paton extended to 2024.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

I hope Battle doesn’t go will be close to top 5 in our B&F,local boy starts to deliver after being badly utilised by our coaching dept,get it done saints!

PADDLEPOP1000
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Essendon are very interested in Bytel

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Thu 28 Jul 2022 6:49pm Essendon are very interested in Bytel
Be a shame. We have invested a lot and he is just coming good. Good size and quick hands.
Much prefer to lose Jones even though not like for like.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Thu 28 Jul 2022 6:49pm Essendon are very interested in Bytel
Not surprised. Pity we aren't.

Shouldn't deal with those pricks though.

Club Player

Surely Bytel is a keep with our aging midfield?