Does Gresham hold 1st round trade value??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Does Gresham hold 1st round trade value??

And would Clarkson and North be interested?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: Does Gresham hold 1st round trade value??

He's a very good player. Trading him would be a huge mistake. He's one of the few guys in our team who can make something out of nothing. He was very good in the first half of the season before his knee started troubling him.

If there's no guarantee of getting someone better, why would you do it?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 2:06pm He's a very good player. Trading him would be a huge mistake. He's one of the few guys in our team who can make something out of nothing. He was very good in the first half of the season before his knee started troubling him.

Thats a great assessment.

However, since getting a huge (HUGE) contract extension in 2019, he has played 50% of games, falling injured again this year, just in time for do or die games and finals?

So for you, it's better the devil you know.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

He’ll be close to the lead in the Brownlow after six or seven rounds, so yes he would definitely get us something.

Seems to be underrated by Saints fans and appreciated by others. They tend to mention him as a potential match-winner.

I don’t want him traded out, however. I want the club to get the best out of his talent, which is considerable.

I think mid/small forward. Get him into the midfield when we need a spark, which is quite often.

He is a playmaker, which is something that we lack in other midfielders to a degree.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 22 Aug 2022 2:48pm, edited 2 times in total.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 2:26pm
cwrcyn wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 2:06pm He's a very good player. Trading him would be a huge mistake. He's one of the few guys in our team who can make something out of nothing. He was very good in the first half of the season before his knee started troubling him.

However, since getting a huge (HUGE) contract extension in 2019, he has played 50% of games, falling injured again this year, just in time for do or die games and finals?

Injuries are of a impact nature which can't be avoided.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
older saint
SS Life Member

Provides something different to what we have. That said would love him to take first option more often.
Injuries been unfortunate - Achilles and impact knee

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saints can't afford to trade anyone especially Gresham or Billings.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 2:30pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 2:26pm

Injuries are of a impact nature which can't be avoided.
That said. At between $700-$800k a season, we've had about $300k's worth.

Should we trade Hill, who has gone at more often for longer and has medallions around his neck. Has Gresh played a final?

You'd hope we will get the best out of him but at 50% loss vs potential picks, he is our best chance for a big trade.

Sanctorum
Club Player

I'm not overly fond of Gresham, he's not really become the impact player that I thought he was expected to become. I consider him to be on the slow side, not always a team player, in other words a bit selfish, and only average in disposals. Same could be said about a few others on the list...

At 25 he's a good age to attract strong interest form other clubs and as he is RFA next year I wouldn't be opposed to have him traded provided it is going to give the club a young gun. I'm still very keen to have the club go real hard to get hold of NGA Cameron McKenzie, likely to go as early as pick 6 in the draft so if we can somehow package our current FRDP (9?) and the 1st FRDP in exchange for Gresham in a trade to somehow secure McKenzie I'd give it serious consideration.
Last edited by Sanctorum on Mon 22 Aug 2022 2:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Care to tell us what big successful trades we have had in the past?

Sanctorum
Club Player

True saynta, but after such a poor record the club's due to get one right, just on the law of averages!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 2:54pm True saynta, but after such a poor record the club's due to get one right, just on the law of averages!
I have been watching the Saints since the early 50s and even attended games in the late 40s.

We haven't got one right in over 70 years. Not one.

Why would we suddenly start to now?

realdeal
Club Player

Every player has a value.
If a team was going to offer a pick in the low teens you'd have to think hard about it.

A pick in the high 20's you'd say no thanks.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 2:53pm Care to tell us what big successful trades we have had in the past?
Correct, we moved on McEvoy, Dal Santo (FA), Goddard (FA), Bruce, Acres etc.
Can't recall our last successful player trade.

Have done well with some pick trades like the Hawthorns swap & Carslile & Gresham trade with Essendon, Steele, Butler etc.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 3:01pm
Sanctorum wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 2:54pm True saynta, but after such a poor record the club's due to get one right, just on the law of averages!
I have been watching the Saints since the early 50s and even attended games in the late 40s.

Jack Steele bid on by North at pick 16, nd eventually selected by GWS on academy concessions with pick 24.
The Giants midfield was stacked with talent including Callan Ward, Stephen Coniglio, Dylan Shiel, Adam Treloar, Ryan Griffen, Josh Kelly, Lachie Whitfield and Tom Scully.
I wouldn't trade Jack for any of them except maybe Green or Whitfield.
Traded to St.Kilda for a second round pick. Possibly the best trade since Hamill.

It was a big trade, we just didn't wait to long.
Since then we have taken Howard and Hill.

Howard is still very young and will end up a bargain, we haven't hag the best from Hill
but he still has trade value. Acres was a loss but he has just had his best season in a better midfield.

Howard, Paddy, pick 10 and a future 4th for picks, 12, 18 and a future 3rd was a big trade, that has clearly ended in our favour.

We also threw a big trade offer at Draper, which he was stupid not to take but the trade was right.

I think now is a pinnacle time to get a 'big trade' right and I think the draft recruiting between 2008 and 2018 years has been the real killer.

McCartin - gone
Billings - GOP
Gresham - we took a punt and elevated his draft worth. We got a beauty but he has only played 50% of games in 3 years and is in top 10 salaries earners..

saynta
Saintsational Legend

You and I were just talking about trading listed players out. Not trading players in for picks. Or so I thought, as I definitely was.

Any mug club official can do that.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

When you trade a draft pick, you are giving up a list spot and a young player with potential.

When you draft a first round pick, you are tied to wage speculation.

Wage speculation on Billings, McCartin and Gresham has done nothing but cost us money. If they were investment shares, you'd trade them.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 3:51pm
saynta wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 3:01pm

Jack Steele bid on by North at pick 16, nd eventually selected by GWS on academy concessions with pick 24.
The Giants midfield was stacked with talent including Callan Ward, Stephen Coniglio, Dylan Shiel, Adam Treloar, Ryan Griffen, Josh Kelly, Lachie Whitfield and Tom Scully.
I wouldn't trade Jack for any of them except maybe Green or Whitfield.
Traded to St.Kilda for a second round pick. Possibly the best trade since Hamill.

It was a big trade, we just didn't wait to long.
Since then we have taken Howard and Hill.

Howard is still very young and will end up a bargain, we haven't hag the best from Hill
but he still has trade value. Acres was a loss but he has just had his best season in a better midfield.

Howard, Paddy, pick 10 and a future 4th for picks, 12, 18 and a future 3rd was a big trade, that has clearly ended in our favour.

We also threw a big trade offer at Draper, which he was stupid not to take but the trade was right.

I think now is a pinnacle time to get a 'big trade' right and I think the draft recruiting between 2008 and 2018 years has been the real killer.

McCartin - gone
Billings - GOP
Gresham - we took a punt and elevated his draft worth. We got a beauty but he has only played 50% of games in 3 years and is in top 10 salaries earners..
What about pick 10 for pick 23, 36 and a future first?

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Munga
Saintsational Legend

No defensive game. Can't carry many of those.

Would be a very talented forward if all he had to do was kick goals.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I support what others have said: trading out quality players for draft picks is almost always a stupid strategy, and most clubs will only do this if
1) they are struggling with the salary cap, and/or
2) the traded player has off-field issues (disciplinary problems, doesn't fit into the group, etc.)

With several players retiring, we shouldn't have too many problems with the salary cap next year, and I have never heard that Gresh has any off-field problems. So why do it?

The fact he's been injury-prone has been frustrating, but other clubs will factor that fact into what they would be prepared to offer for him, so I don't think we'd be looking at getting a top 10 draft pick. So it's always going to be an iffy deal, as few players recruited in the draft can be seen as certain to succeed (I would have said Petracca was one of them, but let's not go there again), and the lower down the list you go, the greater the uncertainty becomes.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I just don't think he's any good.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
SinCitySainter
Club Player

I don't understand people wanting to trade Hill but not Gresham.
We have got a lot more out of Hill than we have Gresham on the field and conversly would probably get more in a trade for Gresham than Hill.
Now I am not saying we should trade either but if we have to trade one or the other then Gresham is the one then I would see out the door first.

If we really want to trade for more draft picks then the names on the table need to be Gresham, Clark and Billings as they are the only ones that may get us overs to the right buyer.
I think North will be the big buyers this year as they look for some older bodies to help the kids through of which they have some real quality.
Billings and Hill could appeal to Clarkson as he likes players who can kick but because of his age he is not going to offer much at all for Hill.
I don't think Gresham would appeal to him at all because of his disposal.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 6:35pm No defensive game. Can't carry many of those.

Would be a very talented forward if all he had to do was kick goals.
The stats show him as having made an average of 3.17 tackles per game this year. In comparison, the stats for the much-vaunted Ben Long were 3.05 per game, and for Windhager 2.17 per game.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I just don't think he's any good.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Hamill??

Hamill was traded for pick 4

Hamill played 98 games for StK

Finished top 3 in the B&F once and averaged 1.2goals per game

Nothing startling about that

G-Train for pick 18 the same year much better

Dal for the first rounder acquired from Hall trade

Schneider and Dempster for pick 26 trumps them all imo

But Steele was a steal!!!