THE common denominator of successful coaches

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmike65
Club Player

THE common denominator of successful coaches

Looking through the VFL/ AFL history, there is one common link to successful coaches..that is they all have a hard edge with a bit of s**t in them.
From Jock McCale, Norm Smith, Ron Barassi, Kevin Sheedy, David Parkin, John Kennedy, Alan Jeans right up to the modern day coaches in Clarkson, Scott, Hardwick, Longmire & Beveridge.
They have the ability to reflect their personality to the way their teams play.
We, under Ratten, unfortunately played a fairly passive brand, lacking aggression.
Contrast that to our team under Ross, where we were hard at it, selfless, disciplined and accountable.
This hard edge isn’t just successful in AFL of course, look at Kevin Muscat and Ange Posticoglou, Ferguson for Man U in the world game..Brian Georgian in basketball all have that hard edge that morph’s into the teams they coach.
Like him or not, Ross gives us the best chance of being the best we can be!!

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: THE common denominator of successful coaches

For a couple of years, GT was moderately successful for us, and I think one of the key factors beside having a bit of s#*t in you bag of tricks, is the ability to get inside player's heads and sell them the plan of what you're doing..taking them along for the ride. You need to have a bit of snake-oil salesman in the mix too.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Saintmike65 wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 9:51am Looking through the VFL/ AFL history, there is one common link to successful coaches..that is they all have a hard edge with a bit of s**t in them.
From Jock McCale, Norm Smith, Ron Barassi, Kevin Sheedy, David Parkin, John Kennedy, Alan Jeans right up to the modern day coaches in Clarkson, Scott, Hardwick, Longmire & Beveridge.
We, under Ratten, unfortunately played a fairly passive brand, lacking aggression.
Contrast that to our team under Ross, where we were hard at it, selfless, disciplined and accountable.
This hard edge isn’t just successful in AFL of course, look at Kevin Muscat and Ange Posticoglou, Ferguson for Man U in the world game..Brian Georgian in basketball all have that hard edge that morph’s into the teams they coach.
Reminds me of Nick Riewoldt once being asked what sort of coach he prefers and he responded that he does best when the coach drives him really hard.

Now this may not be every player's preference, as was obvious when David Noble was humbly forced to apologise to his players for a dummyspit post-game address that upset a few, but it is an ineluctable fact that Ross Lyon at both St Kilda and Fremantle had massive support from his playing groups, and they responded by achieving considerable success. And despite the 2020 generation of players being culturally/socially different to those of the previous one, in elite competitive football codes, fierce attack on the ball and relentless pressure on an opponent is still the best way to win, and that must be driven by the coach.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 10:32am
Saintmike65 wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 9:51am Looking through the VFL/ AFL history, there is one common link to successful coaches..that is they all have a hard edge with a bit of s**t in them.
Reminds me of Nick Riewoldt once being asked what sort of coach he prefers and he responded that he does best when the coach drives him really hard.

Now this may not be every player's preference, as was obvious when David Noble was humbly forced to apologise to his players for a dummyspit post-game address that upset a few, but it is an ineluctable fact that Ross Lyon at both St Kilda and Fremantle had massive support from his playing groups, and they responded by achieving considerable success. And despite the 2020 generation of players being culturally/socially different to those of the previous one, in elite competitive football codes, fierce attack on the ball and relentless pressure on an opponent is still the best way to win, and that must be driven by the coach.
Remember the song?

‘It’s a fine line between pleasure and pain.
You’ve done it once, you could do it again.
Whatever you do, don’t try to explain
It’s a fine, fine line between pleasure and pain’

Context, context, context…
Noble gets fried in the media.
Players feel abused.
Adelaide look like they are running a concentration camp.
Books, interviews, scandals, disgrace, careers ended..shame, shame, blame, blame..

Somewhere, someone connects ‘appropriately’ and wins ‘trust and respect’ and things happen.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

A list of adequately talented players at their disposal.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Which coach won a flag without talented players?

Like ever!

In any comp.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

True.

Is Lenny happy?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Saintmike65
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 1:45pm
True.

Is Lenny happy?
Lenny the coach is like Lenny the player..will put in the hard yards to improve players individually and collectively.
He’s excited by the challenge but realises it won’t be easy, as he’s acutely aware our brand of football the second half of this year doesn’t cut it.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I've said this for years , to be a successful coach you need to be good at A B etc.... you also need good players and you also need to be a bit of a arseh@$% !
The only coach who doesn't fit this in recent years is Simpson in my opinion however I really don't know that much about him cos he's over the west . So maybe he is a bit of a dik and I just haven't seen it.

In red white and black from 73
B.M
Saintsational Legend

The most common link between ‘great’ coaches

Is great players in their teams

Can’t turn s*** into strawberry jam

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Actually its high intelligence, great oratory and composure under pressure. I think.
Watters struck me as quite dense. Extremely ordinary citizen, would not trust him with my bike let alone millions of dollars worth of players.
Richo very average intelligence. Almost dense. Just did not get it or get that he didn't get it. Finnis fell for the "Being There" persona - thought there was depth where there was none.
GT very smart but not smart enough to see his close enemies, realise you have to delegate, or have a friend working with him who could tap him & say pull your head in, you are very clever not infallible. Compromise.
Ratts, clever guy with big footy smarts but not smart enough to know certain players and assistants were pulling his leg and would continue to do so. Even when it was obvious to blind Freddy. That's a poignant sort of unsmart, believing the best of people despite all the contrary evidence because you are nice - candidate for a religious ministry.
Ross: a genius, but apparently not so much of one that he could turn down coaching the Saints, again. Hope he is luckier this time round to make up for that tiny weeney gap in his genius-osity.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 4:52pm The most common link between ‘great’ coaches

Is great players in their teams

Can’t turn s*** into strawberry jam
You can't turn a turd into a chokito either, no matter how many peanuts you've eaten.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I’d say all of those people are smarter than you

Definitely footy smarter

Let’s not lose sight of the fact that they work in the industry at the elite level - and have done successfully.

We on the other hand are chumps

They have forgotten more about the game than we ever knew!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

It’s a wonder we need a coach at all apparently

Why not sack all the coaches and just get recruiting staff in if that’s all it takes

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

A great team with real leadership and drive, an organised coach who motivates his players, and a solid administration. Oh....and money. Clubs struggling with enormous debt are less invested in the football side of things

Gershwin
Club Player

Ange Postecoglou:

‘We play attacking football’
‘We don’t change our style for any opponent’
‘We never stop. We stop at half-time and at the end of the game when we celebrate’
‘I would rather win 4-3 than 1-0’
‘I don’t lie to the players’

He recruits players that fit his style of football. The players buy into his style because that is the type of football most players want to play.

There is no confusion over what is required from every person at Celtic F.C. Ange runs the show.

summertime and the living is easy ........
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Coaches are definitely a requirement

But do not ensure success or failure

That is on the players

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

The important thing I reckon is a strong and healthy list - and we were 8-3 with a healthy list at the half way mark of the year.

So a good coach (as opposed to an ordinary one) might be one who manages to keep injuries to a minimum by using latest/advanced training methods and recovery techniques that minimise injuries.

If you google "periodisation training" (as I did the other day) there are some interesting articles on this very topic where the emphasis is on base building and recovery/injury minimisation ... this is where Lyon might hopefully give us an advantage??

A genius coach is one who has a healthy list on the park ... fit and raring to go each week and especially at the pointy end of the year.
I think Lyon might be clued up in this area??

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 12:52pm Which coach won a flag without talented players?

Like ever!

In any comp.
GWS very talented list….
No flags??

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Sat 29 Oct 2022 3:08pm The important thing I reckon is a strong and healthy list - and we were 8-3 with a healthy list at the half way mark of the year.

So a good coach (as opposed to an ordinary one) might be one who manages to keep injuries to a minimum by using latest/advanced training methods and recovery techniques that minimise injuries.

If you google "periodisation training" (as I did the other day) there are some interesting articles on this very topic where the emphasis is on base building and recovery/injury minimisation ... this is where Lyon might hopefully give us an advantage??

A genius coach is one who has a healthy list on the park ... fit and raring to go each week and especially at the pointy end of the year.
So...if one of his stars has injury concerns or soreness...you think Lyon will rest them? Good luck with that

I reckon the club hierarchy will be trying to go flat out for as many wins early in the year to bolster memberships and appease some of the disillusioned supporter base

We don't have the depth of other teams for certain key position posts so it'll be difficult to manage the list - like for example the way Geelong did with some of their players

It'll be quite ironic if we are 8-3 at the half way mark next year and we finish up the year at exactly the same wins as this year with a 3-8 result for the second half :mrgreen:

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 30 Oct 2022 2:53am
samoht wrote: Sat 29 Oct 2022 3:08pm The important thing I reckon is a strong and healthy list - and we were 8-3 with a healthy list at the half way mark of the year.

So...if one of his stars has injury concerns or soreness...you think Lyon will rest them? Good luck with that

I reckon the club hierarchy will be trying to go flat out for as many wins early in the year to bolster memberships and appease some of the disillusioned supporter base

We don't have the depth of other teams for certain key position posts so it'll be difficult to manage the list - like for example the way Geelong did with some of their players

It'll be quite ironic if we are 8-3 at the half way mark next year and we finish up the year at exactly the same wins as this year with a 3-8 result for the second half :mrgreen:
This notion that training programs come from an individual person at a club is an antiquated one perpetuated by people born before the 90s, the coaches all do the same courses, the same accreditation and the sports science staff all learn the same stuff at university. The knowledge base for sports science comes from so many people other than the head coach. If anything Lyon being out of the game for 3 years means he is behind in this regard and will absolutely have to defer to sports science staff.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

GWS - very talented list - agree

They made 3 prelims and one GF

In all of those seasons they were beaten by teams that also had talented lists

SinCitySainter
Club Player

And on at least one occasion an extra three players pretending to be umpires.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 30 Oct 2022 10:38am GWS - very talented list - agree

They made 3 prelims and one GF

In all of those seasons they were beaten by teams that also had talented lists
Some would say with the top end talent at multiple drafts they had access to that’s underachieving
Anyway, let’s get rid of coaches abd just have talented list 1 v talented lost 2
It’s not like a coach, say Scott, would totally overhaul Geelongs old game style recognising that it wasn’t working, and introduce a faster flow on game style..
I mean the talented list just realised that themselves and started playing that way????

“Yeah….nah””
Bowey Boy
Club Player

Luck.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black