Young Talls

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st sandy
Club Player

Young Talls

Note the young talls on our list that are yet to play a game
Potential key position fillers either forward or down back

My language 196 is just over 6 ft 4 - a good size for key position

Oscar Adams - 197cm
Matt Allison - 195cm
James Van Es - 197cm
Isaac Keeler - 198cm
Anthony Caminiti - 196cm

Lets hope 3 of above can each play 100 games for the club

Jack Hayes - 194 cm (5 games)

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Young Talls

195 = 6’5”

66Iwasthere
Club Player

Max Heath 204 the tallest in the team. Has trained as a tall forward.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

From the footage available Caminiti looks rugged and agile at ground level, initial optics is he could have a bit of toughness about him and capable of second efforts and the odd tackle which will help him standout ahead of the other fringe talls. Here's hoping.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I will take the glass half full approach - IMO Keeler, Adams, Van Es and Caminiti will all play 100 games for the club. To guess who will be the first to get there will there Im back Van Es.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

st sandy wrote: Fri 17 Feb 2023 10:48pm Note the young talls on our list that are yet to play a game

Oscar Adams - 197cm
Matt Allison - 195cm
James Van Es - 197cm
Isaac Keeler - 198cm
Anthony Caminiti - 196cm

196cm is 6ft 5.15 inches to be exact...according to Miss Google. :wink:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Van Es looks like a natural footballer ( i.e. has the marking and kicking skills)

He just needs to get AFL fitness

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I'd like the club to have some luck with their drafted talls , they all make it and go on to have successful AFL careers. :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

st sandy wrote: Fri 17 Feb 2023 10:48pm Note the young talls on our list that are yet to play a game

Oscar Adams - 197cm
Matt Allison - 195cm
James Van Es - 197cm
Isaac Keeler - 198cm
Anthony Caminiti - 196cm

A number of people have indicated that The Hammer has now grown to 198cm, rather than 196cm. I do not know what his height actually is now, but 198cm would very nice.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saints58
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 19 Feb 2023 1:21am

Oscar Adams - 197cm
Matt Allison - 195cm
James Van Es - 197cm
Isaac Keeler - 198cm
Anthony Caminiti - 196cm

A number of people have indicated that The Hammer has now grown to 198cm, rather than 196cm. I do not know what his height actually is now, but 198cm would very nice.

I did read somewhere in a saints article that Adams is now 198cm and is now 88kg put on a few kg as well, now list is complete lets see the player bios with height and weight should come out soon.

Killa
Club Player

As I have put elsewhere, we have 11 players at 195cm and over being:-

King
Marshall
Howard
Cordy
Allison
Adams
Van Es
Campbell
Heath
Keeler
Caminiti

The next question is who will be joining King, Marshall and Howard as first choice 18?

There is heightened interest in this question given the reliance on King, Marshall and Howard.

We trust the outcome is that Cordy and Campbell are there for back up, having been surpassed by the younger players listed above.

What a bonus this would be!!

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Sun 19 Feb 2023 12:32pm As I have put elsewhere, we have 11 players at 195cm and over being:-

King
Marshall
Howard
Cordy
Allison
Adams
Van Es
Campbell
Heath
Keeler
Caminiti

The next question is who will be joining King, Marshall and Howard as first choice 18?

There is heightened interest in this question given the reliance on King, Marshall and Howard.

We trust the outcome is that Cordy and Campbell are there for back up, having been surpassed by the younger players listed above.

It will be highly disappointing if we drafted a player like Cordy as backup, doesn't make sense, he shown at the Dogs during his career best performances he's not the backup type.
If it comes to pass that 2023 proves he is in fact an overpaid backup then Lyon should move him on and chalk it up to a mistake by the previous recruitment and coaching regime.

saintbob
SS Life Member

I’d love it if by the end of the year we have blooded Heath,Van Es, Keeler and Adams, as someone said earlier we are due for a change of luck with our tall recruits.

Killa
Club Player

“We trust the outcome is ……”

And the response from guess who is

English comprehension is obviously another area requiring attention

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 19 Feb 2023 1:32pm
Killa wrote: Sun 19 Feb 2023 12:32pm As I have put elsewhere, we have 11 players at 195cm and over being:-

King
Marshall
Howard
Cordy
Allison
Adams
Van Es
Campbell
Heath
Keeler
Caminiti

It will be highly disappointing if we drafted a player like Cordy as backup, doesn't make sense, he shown at the Dogs during his career best performances he's not the backup type.
If it comes to pass that 2023 proves he is in fact an overpaid backup then Lyon should move him on and chalk it up to a mistake by the previous recruitment and coaching regime.
I'd say Cordy could be a professional 23rd.

Can go forward and add height and marking power, can let Howard, Wilkie or Battle patch a hole forward and take the 1, 2 or 3 tall defender position.

With a settled backline, we may have Billings, Gresham, medium size mids and Owens and Phillipou who are 190cm mids with decent pace and endurance, most probably playing forward/rotation roles. So, if a mid goes down , we should have it covered.

Seb Ross, Stocker, NWM and Hill can all go back.

Clever bit of recruiting really. He has plenty of experience including a flag, he has been part of a consistent/relatively successful unit for nearly a decade and has found himself in the spare parts box.

Nonetheless, He appears to have picked up his endurance at training and it will be interesting to see if he gets a role in the upcoming practice matches.

In the 23rd man position he waits, trains, gets fitter and fitter and sha=per and sharper as the season goes on.

He and Campbell as budget depth, that is ready to play, makes perfect sense as a strategy. He is just buying Van Es and Adams time.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 20 Feb 2023 12:41pm

King
Marshall
Howard
Cordy
Allison
Adams
Van Es
Campbell
Heath
Keeler
Caminiti

Can go forward and add height and marking power, can let Howard, Wilkie or Battle patch a hole forward and take the 1, 2 or 3 tall defender position.

With a settled backline, we may have Billings, Gresham, medium size mids and Owens and Phillipou who are 190cm mids with decent pace and endurance, most probably playing forward/rotation roles. So, if a mid goes down , we should have it covered.

Clever bit of recruiting really. He has plenty of experience including a flag, he has been part of a consistent/relatively successful unit for nearly a decade and has found himself in the spare parts box.

Nonetheless, He appears to have picked up his endurance at training and it will be interesting to see if he gets a role in the upcoming practice matches.

In the 23rd man position he waits, trains, gets fitter and fitter and sha=per and sharper as the season goes on.

He and Campbell as budget depth, that is ready to play, makes perfect sense as a strategy. He is just buying Van Es and Adams time.
Do ya fink that's how the club sold it to im? What's he getting paid do ya recon? 600k ?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 20 Feb 2023 1:30pm

King
Marshall
Howard
Cordy
Allison
Adams
Van Es
Campbell
Heath
Keeler
Caminiti

Do ya fink that's how the club sold it to im? What's he getting paid do ya recon? 600k ?
Across the 3 years. He was a spare offered two years at the dogs, he came for a likely chance of playing. That looks pretty likely.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 20 Feb 2023 6:20pm

King
Marshall
Howard
Cordy
Allison
Adams
Van Es
Campbell
Heath
Keeler
Caminiti

Across the 3 years. He was a spare offered two years at the dogs, he came for a likely chance of playing. That looks pretty likely.
I know inflation is outa control presently but are you saying we are paying a player 600k per year over 3 years to be a fringe player?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 20 Feb 2023 6:24pm

King
Marshall
Howard
Cordy
Allison
Adams
Van Es
Campbell
Heath
Keeler
Caminiti

I know inflation is outa control presently but are you saying we are paying a player 600k per year over 3 years to be a fringe player?
I know you are a giver but I didn't mention $600k. You inflamed that.

Across the 3 years was my direct answer. He got cut and shut at the bulldogs and told he would be depth unless the needle dodger fell over.

I'm figuring the extra year, a 1.25lt coke and a Mars bar, would have been enough.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 20 Feb 2023 7:06pm

King
Marshall
Howard
Cordy
Allison
Adams
Van Es
Campbell
Heath
Keeler
Caminiti

Across the 3 years was my direct answer. He got cut and shut at the bulldogs and told he would be depth unless the needle dodger fell over.

I'm figuring the extra year, a 1.25lt coke and a Mars bar, would have been enough.
My bad Ben, I said 600k and you said across 3 years, I assumed you knew and/or were confirming, put ya knickers back on and straiten ya hair.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Cordy is BOG average and is in poor condition for a pro athlete

He’ll be a whipping boy after 6 games

He is another Dean Kent type signing - that is recruiting someone for the sake of it!

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 20 Feb 2023 7:33pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 20 Feb 2023 7:06pm

King
Marshall
Howard
Cordy
Allison
Adams
Van Es
Campbell
Heath
Keeler
Caminiti

My bad Ben, I said 600k and you said across 3 years, I assumed you knew and/or were confirming, put ya knickers back on and straiten ya hair.
Lol. Be nice. I might be the only forumite who hasn't used the foe button for you. 😁

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 20 Feb 2023 8:08pm Cordy is BOG average and is in poor condition for a pro athlete

He’ll be a whipping boy after 6 games

He is another Dean Kent type signing - that is recruiting someone for the sake of it!
So not even the midas touch of Lyon can squeeze something from him?

Should sack him now then if he can't.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 20 Feb 2023 8:09pm
Lol. Be nice. I might be the only forumite who hasn't used the foe button for you. 😁
[/quote]

I know right, the site is low on sensitive types as it is.

But seriously any idea what he got paid, I just can't fathom recruiting someone on decent coin for 3 years as a backup player? If this is true then how the hell is Lethlean considered one of the 4 pillars, sorry 3 pillars to win us a flag!

Was Walsh at the club when the Cordy deal was done?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 20 Feb 2023 9:14pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 20 Feb 2023 8:09pm

I know right, the site is low on sensitive types as it is.

But seriously any idea what he got paid, I just can't fathom recruiting someone on decent coin for 3 years as a backup player? If this is true then how the hell is Lethlean considered one of the 4 pillars, sorry 3 pillars to win us a flag!

Was Walsh at the club when the Cordy deal was done?
[/quote]

It appears Gallagher made the deal. I'd suggest he would be a value recruit rather than a premium one but I have no idea. He chose a 3 year deal over a pay cut and 2 years at the doggies. My guess would be $300-400k base with performance based bonuses. He may even be front loaded.

It's actually immaterial because we have to utilise 95% of the cap and had much higher paid targets that we didn't get.

Because before we took Keeler, Van Es and Caminiti, Cordy improved the list. He filled a gap in talls depth and we clearly had designs on drafting young talls and rated the boys we picked. We drafted well.

His skill set suits a focus on process over personnel, Lyon will utilise him if he can contribute to the process, he has proven he can apply himself to a winning process. He has played multiple roles, has played a bit of finals football and would have good intel on the Bulldogs running game and facilitating multiple goal kickers.

Our plan has been so King centred I'm not sure what we will throw up but if Membrey, Billings, Gresham, Higgins, Butler and Wood have good seasons, we shouldn't have problems kicking scores.

Add to that, a returning King and the understandable hype, around Phillipou and Owens. I tend to believe the hype and think we can be competitive but not dominant.

I'm looking for a year of development, hoping Phillipou debuts and stars round 1. That Van Es and Peris can push for selection by May, that Clark finds his outside game and exploits it, that Coffield plays a full season and that Caminiti kicks bags full in the VFL.