Umpires this week.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Umpires this week.

Leigh Fisher. :cry:

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Umpires this week.

Great Saints man Leigh.

Another 28-14 on the cards 👍

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I think curly likes Leigh so we maybe spared

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Thankfully we didn't get the umpires from the Gold Coast-Melbourne game.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 8:52pm Thankfully we didn't get the umpires from the Gold Coast-Melbourne game.
No, and there are f****** four of them these days. Gold Coast were robbed. Don't let anyone tell you the myth that maggots don't decide games. They decided this one. Two clear free kicks to Gold Coast players close to goal in the closing minutes were ignored by the umpires. Those sticking up for these clowns should be ashamed of themselves.

PS. A loss to the ski crowd would have been good for us.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 9:04pm
Otiman wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 8:52pm Thankfully we didn't get the umpires from the Gold Coast-Melbourne game.
No, and there are f****** four of them these days. Gold Coast were robbed. Don't let anyone tell you the myth that maggots don't decide games. They decided this one. Two clear free kicks to Gold Coast players close to goal in the closing minutes were ignored by the umpires. Those sticking up for these clowns should be ashamed of themselves.

Worst 5 minutes of umpiring I can recall.

When you think about the soft free kicks that are paid to the likes of Curnow, then look at the shockers not paid to Swallow and Chol it beggars belief.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

2 weeks in a row the officiating has been found wanting in a tight game

saynta
Saintsational Legend

If someone mugged Swallow like that in a public place , they would be arrested.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 6:09pm I think curly likes Leigh so we maybe spared
ha. you forgot the other three.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 9:30pm

When you think about the soft free kicks that are paid to the likes of Curnow, then look at the shockers not paid to Swallow and Chol it beggars belief.
I still don't know why Gawn was gifted the free and the goal in the lat quarter. Any clues? The Fox commentary team had a down the ground video replay but none of them saw an infringement from that.

Saint supporter since '62
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 10:00pm
D.B.Cooper wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 9:30pm

I still don't know why Gawn was gifted the free and the goal in the lat quarter. Any clues? The Fox commentary team had a down the ground video replay but none of them saw an infringement from that.
No clue at all.

I normally don't notice umpiring from a bias perspective, just sometimes get frustrated at really soft free kicks, but tonight the missed frees not awarded to the Suns in the last were outrageous.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I sniff some Sunshine retirement State bias.

😂

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 6:09pm I think curly likes Leigh so we maybe spared
For those that think Curley is alone when he claims that the Umpires affect games - try this thread

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Umpiring is getting worse but it’s easy to see why. From the beginning they are put on a pedastal and cannot accept criticism. New umpires off the street can ruin an entire game but the umpires cannot be scored graded or commented on. FFS the senior umpire or better of the won’t even over rule in case it upsets the other umpire. Ruin games and get to repeat it.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 06 May 2023 10:53pm
For those that think Curley is alone when he claims that the Umpires affect games - try this thread
i don't think anyone of right mind would argue that. the argument is more that a) its not a deliberate bias, and b) there's nothing to be done about it, and c) and swings and roundabouts.

i watched that game and the suns indeed got reamed in the last. happens so often because bad umpires so often defer to the bigger teams and bigger players when it's hot. they simply aren't experienced enough or professional enough to handle the pressure. and the idiots at afl house thought things would improve by adding an extra bad umpire to every game. there simply isn't enough talent in the umpire group to add the extras. is the afl were fair dinkum they'd make it a full time profession and allow impartial media analysis of their performance.
i actually don,t mind curly and others having a whinge in gameday threads - makes it more of a game atmosphere. i much prefer that than some smartarse always chiming in supporting the umps during a game. go to an umpires fan forum if that's what floats your boat.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SaintWiki
Club Player

I always like it when decision go our way and get upset when they go against us. We have had enough on the negative side to feel abused and it makes things worse when they are judged by their own and not externally. Nevertheless, whether it's because I am very old or so accustomed to it I don't know, but I reckon we've generally had a better run this year.

There is often a possible 2 or more violations of the rules in every contest so the umpires can do whatever they like really, and they only get publicly caught out when they make an incorrect decision and it's clear to all that it was wrong. But it's a hard game to umpire perfectly if you are not supernatural heroes like me and have a close up vision on all angles whilst watching it on TV, then go back after the game and replay what the commentators missed in slow motion.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Two points...

When we were questioning the quality of umpires when we had three on the field, how, in any realm of logic, was adding another going to improve the overall quality?

A good or favoured season or final series of umpiring can win you a Premiership, ask the Western Bulldogs. So the quality, unconscious bias can change results.

There are no "swings & roundabouts" for sudden death finals.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

What I don't understand is at a boundary throw-in one ruck can just blatantly push the other ruck fair square in the back and it's play on. It's creeping in to a fair few games now. WTF?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Jacks Back wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 10:19am What I don't understand is at a boundary throw-in one ruck can just blatantly push the other ruck fair square in the back and it's play on. It's creeping in to a fair few games now. WTF?
Umps haven't played senior AFL (except Fisher) so have no clue about ruck things, etc

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 10:19am What I don't understand is at a boundary throw-in one ruck can just blatantly push the other ruck fair square in the back and it's play on. It's creeping in to a fair few games now. WTF?
And yet at centre bounces the umpire can bounce a wonky ball that goes over one players head and he is pinged for a block.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Personally I tend to concentrate more on the capability of of our team
The umpiring is out of our control and all the angst hot air is just a distraction

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

A google search shows Fisher owns a restaurant in Hampton called 'Cornerstone & Co' plus an Italian restaurant.

I wonder whether he's worried that patrons will bag his umpiring and say he favours us, so he overcompensates by being incredibly hard on us.
Or is he still salty over being delisted in 2005 or whenever it was.
His hammies were like Nathan Freeman and Jason Cripps, it's unfortunate but it didn't work out for him.
He needs to get over himself.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 10:24am Personally I tend to concentrate more on the capability of of our team
The umpiring is out of our control and all the angst hot air is just a distraction
Ross asked about 'stepping off the line'.

The Battle debacle- SPP was next to the guy on the mark before Battle was smothered. Is that 50m every day of the week?
Wilkie's oppo wasn't called back to the mark.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Yes, I think it's a subconscious need to confirm there is no bias towards us.

I don't think it is deliberate, he is otherwise a great umpire.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 9:53am Two points...

When we were questioning the quality of umpires when we had three on the field, how, in any realm of logic, was adding another going to improve the overall quality?

A good or favoured season or final series of umpiring can win you a Premiership, ask the Western Bulldogs. So the quality, unconscious bias can change results.

There are no "swings & roundabouts" for sudden death finals.
As written, I rarely think umpiring influences results, however agree there have been times as you list above where the rub of the green appears to go with certain teams and players. I believe most watching last night as a neutral supporter would have felt the Suns got completely shafted and blatantly obvious free kicks that were not paid impacted the result.

To honestly suggest there is constant cheating or bias against StKilda on an ongoing bases is laughable.
I believe there was the whispers in the sky issue when the umpires hit back at GT, and on occasion by systematic or sanctioned by the AFL is fantasy.

My real frustration is soft free kicks like those paid to Curnow against us and other teams, he's an umpire love child. The frees are techniocally correct but soft as butter. Then also how interpretation of the rules changes depending on the closeness of the match.

If an action is deemed a free kick in the first 1/4, a similar action but 10X more severe is play on in the dying moments of a close match.
There is little consistency.

I think the best umpiring I have seen was the 09/10 grand finals.
They let it flow and soft frees were not paid.

Waiting for the Hawkins goal mention now :D