Mid season draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BadRossco
Club Player

Mid season draft

Will we go to the mid season draft, plenty of candidates for the long term injury list and Ethan Phillips would be an ideal back up KPD, Adams and Van Es are a work in progress but a fair bit of work to do if they make it at all

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Mid season draft

Can’t knock key position depth

Saints58
Club Player

Yes we need another ready made Ruck someone who could come in case Row or Campbell goes down like last season that would be disastrous.
Owens is not big enough and Hammer is not good enough to take a team through to the finals and heath is still very raw.
Would be a shame if we made the finals and had no ruckman and we could have got one in the MSD.
Are we prepared to take the risk I really hope not.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Saints58 wrote: Thu 25 May 2023 10:16am Yes we need another ready made Ruck someone who could come in case Row or Campbell goes down like last season that would be disastrous.
Owens is not big enough and Hammer is not good enough to take a team through to the finals and heath is still very raw.
Would be a shame if we made the finals and had no ruckman and we could have got one in the MSD.
As much as I love ruckman I'm not sure our list needs more of them at this stage.

We have

Roma
Campbell
Hayes
Heath

Pinch hit options
Owens
Hammer
Battle

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Thu 25 May 2023 10:32am
Saints58 wrote: Thu 25 May 2023 10:16am Yes we need another ready made Ruck someone who could come in case Row or Campbell goes down like last season that would be disastrous.
As much as I love ruckman I'm not sure our list needs more of them at this stage.

We have

Roma
Campbell
Hayes
Heath

Pinch hit options
Owens
Hammer
Battle
The one we are waiting on now is Keeler. I hope this kid gets fit enough to please RTB. If he does, we will see something special.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

I doubt we will be participating unless somebody retires. We have the full house sign up after picking up The Hammer and Stocker pre-season.

Saint supporter since '62
Saints58
Club Player

I Hayes is not back for at least 10 weeks then he would not be ready to play AFL so he is out of contention this season.

Having Owens as a pinch hitter ruck is very dangerous for the kid up against 200+ guys over 100kg it could shorten his career being pounded by these guys on a long term basic.

He should be in midfield where he would be able to uses his strength and ability would make a lot of defence the X factor that we are looking for there.
Heath is not ready yet he is coming along well but maybe next year.

I really like Keeler but with out a preseason he might struggle, I have watch him in the VFL this year he is a long way behind at this point but inproving.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Thu 25 May 2023 10:32am

We have

Roma
Campbell
Hayes
Heath

Pinch hit options
Owens
Hammer
Battle
You cant claim pinch hitters as ruckman - they are doing the job simply because we have no other suitable ruckman. RTB would have loved another true ruckman who could have rotated with Marshall through the forward line. Hence the reason we are putting a lot of time into developing Heath's key forward game. Then we have Campbell who is a long way down the pecking order.

If Marshall goes down with a serious injury we are stuck with Campbell, who is a good VFL player but not up to the speed of the AFL game. We desperately need another ready to play option and if they intend to delist Campbell then we need to bring another younger ruckman also. Every club needs 4 genuine ruckman on their list IMO.

realdeal
Club Player

If it's for this season then yeah, another ruck in case of emergency would be reassuring.

Not really in the spirit of 'mid season' draft but i dare say like when we got Heath we'll approach it with the intention of getting the best young prospect regardless of position they played.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

If Marshall goes down, no one would be good enough to replace him.
As a comparison, he's averaging a lot more hitouts this year than Gawn and 5 more disposals per game than Gawn.
Everyone is a pinch hitter compared to him ... so, we might as well stick with the surfeit of pinch hitters we have.

I agree with nostalgicsaint.

(We need to concentrate on recruiting topline midfielders).

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

To join their brother

Owens; and/or
Owens

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
BadRossco
Club Player

Tomoyo Owens may be worth a look down the track but hasn’t nominated for the mid season draft and although taller is unlikely to be another Michito who is a very special player. Hayes can’t be considered for backup for Roma as he will be unlikely to play AFL this season and along with Jones, Coff and Allison would be a candidate for the LTI list and at least one of these players will probably be delisted at seasons end. I doubt we will make or go very far into finals this season but another ruckman or tall KPD could be handy I can remember Everitt going down at finals time which may have cost us a shot at the flag that year

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Don't think we will be a player this year unless SOS knows something we don't.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Saints58 wrote: Thu 25 May 2023 12:57pm I really like Keeler but with out a preseason he might struggle, I have watch him in the VFL this year he is a long way behind at this point but inproving.
Based on what we've seen so far there is no way to know what Keeler's footy future looks like, that's why we were able to recruit him when we did, no one else was willing to risk it up to that draft pick.

I hope he becomes a very good player for the Saints.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.