Are we a bit too Saintly?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cordz2
Club Player

Are we a bit too Saintly?

Just looking through a list of noting the games we haven’t played very well in this year. Teams who have played a very aggressive style against us like Port Adelaide, Adelaide and Hawthorn have made us look really weak. We get pushed off the ball easily and lacked players with real aggression and fight to stand up and make a statement. You look at Collingwood list and their aggressive and “enforcer” I type of players they have plenty. Ditto Melbourne, Port, Adelaide and Brisbane. I play the play on the borderline, of what is legal and what’s are important to a team’s make up. In the past, we’ve had them like Stephen Baker, Gehrig, Hayes etc.
Today I can only really think of Marshall in the current team. Owens has potential, so does Windhager. We have some good defenders and tacklers but no one who scares anyone from the opposition. I’d like to teams beat us up around the ball without any retribution. Playing on the edge of legal Richmond did for so long. You’ll give away free kicks you lose some weeks from suspension. We are a little bit too saintly..

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Are we a bit too Saintly?

"Saintly" is another term for physically weak.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

So number 8 was recruited for his saintliness?

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

So number 8 was recruited for his saintliness?

BadRossco
Club Player

There certainly is a lack of mongrel bit lack of pace and disposal skills is more of a problem but that said it would help to be able to stick a tackle if 5hey manage to catch an opponent

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Perhaps, it’s an attitude that I think has stemmed from over a decade of administration who valued KPIs of AFL compliance and a positive public perception over winning at all costs.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.