Some Perspective

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

66Iwasthere
Club Player

Some Perspective

We lost our key forward in the first minute and then two other key players in the first quarter, so played with three players down for most of the game.

We were never out of the game. Our younger players, despite making mistakes and out on their feet, worked hard right to the end.

We were playing the fourth placed team who have two dominant ruckman (by reputation) and Marshall held his own.

I say a big pat on the back to our team tonight for the way they fought right to the end in difficult circumstances. Melbourne were ordinary tonight and shouldn’t be smiling.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: Some Perspective

66Iwasthere wrote: Sun 09 Jul 2023 8:54am We lost our key forward in the first minute and then two other key players in the first quarter, so played with three players down for most of the game.

We were never out of the game. Our younger players, despite making mistakes and out on their feet, worked hard right to the end.

We were playing the fourth placed team who have two dominant ruckman (by reputation) and Marshall held his own.

I say a big pat on the back to our team tonight for the way they fought right to the end in difficult circumstances. Melbourne were ordinary tonight and shouldn’t be smiling.
Unfortunately - this - is damning

Melbourne WERE ordinary - yet they still comfortably beat us
West Coast ARE a basket case - yet almost beat us

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

66Iwasthere wrote: Sun 09 Jul 2023 8:54am
Melbourne were ordinary tonight and shouldn’t be smiling.
Incredibly ordinary which is the perspective for us and we still couldn't get over them. King going out can't be an excuse as we played our best footy since round 4 which still isn't good enough.

seano1
Club Player

Were they ordinary? Despite being down on players for most of the game we stayed pretty close to them all night were i’m sure l wouldn’t be the only one expecting them to blow up apart but our kids played with determination. Remembering some guys are still learning against their seasoned players , we were never going to win a gf this year and maybe scrape into some finals it bodes well for the next few years

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

our forward entries lost the game for us plain and simple..fix that up and we win

scallopsroe
Club Player

Melbourne took their chances when scoring, how many points did the Saints score from shots that should be converted at this level. Mason Wood I'm looking at you, Jack Billings likewise, stuff up by the hammer in the 3rd quarter, all three should be embarrassed. You can't continuously make these errors against an opponent of equal or better standing.
Yes the game was going to be tough without the three injured players after quarter time and the Saints competed with aggression and passion as they did in the second half last week.

Stand outs last night were Marshall, Nasiah, Crouch, Steele. My main beef is the lack of tall assistance Marshall has received all year. King played higher last week and was very effective, but we were robbed of this avenue last night. Maybe our selection committee will attempt same bold changes with the season now slipping thanks to the terrible injury count. Alot of quality players are unfortunately watching from the grandstand.

66Iwasthere
Club Player

Interestingly it seemed the younger one’s were playing the way we want to play, a quick play on game and the senior players were supporting them. We not only lost three players to injury last night, but three strategically important players and early in the game. There must have been a lot of structural changes made on the run which we should give credit to the coaches and the players. As RTB alluded to in his presser we were in virgin territory and every one including the support staff would have learn’t some valuable lessons for the future.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Some people's narrative is so predictable.

If we win, it's always because the other team is crap

If we lose, it's because we are crap

Some have pointed out that Fritsch and Oliver were missing for the Demons

So let's look at what we had out there and what we had missing

Our forward line had four players who had 70 games experience between them (Caminiti 12, Owens 21, Phillipou 15, Sharman 22).

We had another two players in only their second year (Wanganeen-Milera and Windhager)

After the 10 minute mark of the first quarter, we had the following players unavailable

Hill
Battle
Clark
King
Higgins
Ross
McKenzie
Cordy

The loss came down to two things.

1. Accuracy in goal kicking. Melbourne converted just about everything. We missed a lot of gettable shots

2. Kicks inside 50

In every other measure we were equal to, or better than Melbourne, a team with two highly rated ruckmen, one of the most highly credentialed defenses in the league, and some powerful midfielders.

Okay, we all know we're a work in progress. We know we have deficiencies in the midfield, and we need one more key position player. There's no point measuring us against the very top teams because we know we're no there yet.

Compare to previous weeks, yesterday was a huge step forward, so I think we need to acknowledge that

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Perspective

one
On the season as a whole?
On the state of ST Kilda’s competitiveness in the league
There is no way that was good.
We are slow and predictable in build up
And easy to defend against
Melbourne uncovered their Darren Jarman MkII (Petracca)

two
On a bunch of lads having a crack?
Yep, they gave it a fair crack

How are we still in the 8?
We know what has happened.
North and West Coast wins

But we will be better in 2024/5

We can’t be worse.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

66Iwasthere wrote: Sun 09 Jul 2023 8:54am We lost our key forward in the first minute and then two other key players in the first quarter, so played with three players down for most of the game.

This Melbourne was ordinary meme is incorrect. I saw two good teams going at it fiercely. Some terrific skills on show under constant pressure
Not sure why "supporters" wish to downplay last night's effort. Although I have suspicions. Melbourne were relieved to win and happy; not at all disappointed or condescending.
A couple of weeks ago Melbourne beat Collingwood on the MCG. Look at who they fielded last evening: it included May, Lever, Gawn, Petracca, Viney, Grundy, Pickett, Langdon; they won a premiership a couple of years ago and most are still there. We had so many youngsters and lost three key players early. We were magnificent in the contest and Melbourne had to pull out all stops. They played as well as we let them. Polish in the forwards cost us as well as exhaustion and structural problems from losing two very big units early. Melbourne were ok, we were ok, Petracca kicked 4 and umpires were crap.
PS: Petracca is a smart arse and I am glad he does not play for us. Much prefer Owens, he plays in the right spirit.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Every other team in the 8, except The Bulldogs, have played North and West Coast, too, so that doesn't support you argument

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 09 Jul 2023 12:10pm

This Melbourne was ordinary meme is incorrect. I saw two good teams going at it fiercely. Some terrific skills on show under constant pressure
Not sure why "supporters" wish to downplay last night's effort. Although I have suspicions. Melbourne were relieved to win and happy; not at all disappointed or condescending.
A couple of weeks ago Melbourne beat Collingwood on the MCG. Look at who they fielded last evening: it included May, Lever, Gawn, Petracca, Viney, Grundy, Pickett, Langdon; they won a premiership a couple of years ago and most are still there. We had so many youngsters and lost three key players early. We were magnificent in the contest and Melbourne had to pull out all stops. They played as well as we let them. Polish in the forwards cost us as well as exhaustion and structural problems from losing two very big units early. Melbourne were ok, we were ok, Petracca kicked 4 and umpires were crap.
PS: Petracca is a smart arse and I am glad he does not play for us. Much prefer Owens, he plays in the right spirit.
Give me arseholes who are good at footy every day of the week and don’t like losing. Please and Thankyou.

Spirit of Footy…..what nonsense.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

gaz giggles

(in a manly butch type of way !!)

and wonders

what would Stonecold have to say about the
(lol)
"Spirit of Football"

winning , does come down to .. ruthlessness
it seems

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

At quarter time we were 3-5 to their 5 straight.

Cordy was still on the ground. He played out the whole of the first quarter. We had 18 inside 50’s and they had 10. Before rotations and injuries had a chance to impact we were still down on the scoreboard (despite being the better team overall) for Q1.

We had 3 turnovers which gave them 3 goals in the first quarter. 1 was a hack kick from Douggs on the wing which was marked by the opposition. That handed Petracca his first goal on a platter. The other 2 were by Crouch - one by hand and the other by foot when he shanked it 5 m to Pickett and Pickett took off to give them another easy i50 entry.

I’m not saying we didn’t get terrible decisions go against us later in the match, but I’m just highlighting that we controlled the footy for 65% of the time in our forward half and we failed to capitalise. We had more i50 entries early on in the game.

We also got the rub of the green as far as umpiring decisions are concerned in the first quarter. The umps could have easily paid htb against a couple of our players (watch the replay) and a push in the back against Steele when he tackled Neil-Bullen, and also a deliberate oob against Dougall when Dooggs chose to punch the footy out of bounds when it was uncontested from a handball from the Demons player.

The thing that hurts from a St Kilda supporter’s pov (apart from the injuries) was that we just had some bad luck from the start with our shots at goal. Cooper Sharman and Mattaes Phillipou hit the post and also Pou made the mistake of getting too close to the man on the mark. Couple that with our injury luck and we were always going to be pushiing shittt up hill for the rest of the game.

The second quarter was tight and we didn’t give them much. Inside 50’s were equal but they scored 2-2 to our 1-2.

You have to hand it to the players for giving it their all. They kept at it and we were relentless which also gave the Saints fans a glimmer of hope that we could pull off a miracle. I think that’s why we were so frustrated when a few umpiring decisions went against us in the second half. Umpires weren't the reason we lost.

Loved the effort and the fight from our group. Proud of the boys and there were many positives to take from the game as well as lessons for our coaching staff.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I hate the notion of an honourable loss

Good clubs don’t entertain the thought!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 09 Jul 2023 12:57pm I hate the notion of an honourable loss

Good clubs don’t entertain the thought!
You cant’t ignore 3 players going down. Especially when 2 of them are key position players.

Have some perspective. That’s what this thread is called

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

It was a brave loss in respect to injuries.

But, Melbourne didn’t shift from third gear at any point during that game and they still never looked like losing.

Quality of our forward entries were hideous, turn overs from the back half almost as bad.

No injuries, would the result have been different? Probably, but we’ll never know.

My perspective, it was a poor game of footy and both teams were poor.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

What was brave about our ball use?

What would’ve been brave would be to win the game with two on the bench. Not to spray the ball i50 and at goal.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

B.M wrote: Sun 09 Jul 2023 2:01pm What was brave about our ball use?

What would’ve been brave would be to win the game with two on the bench. Not to spray the ball i50 and at goal.
Agreed, our ball use was putrid.

It was brave in the context that we didn’t get blown away.

But like I said, Melbourne barely shifted a gear the entire match and still never looked like losing.

Despite our injuries, I do think we’re overstating just how well we played.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Effort was there
Decision making with ball in hand going into 50 a concern
Caminiti tried hard but he’s a kid with no pre season
Pou looked tired
Was impressed with coaching - Sincs to mid f/t and Windy to HB (he had 0 possessions at Q1 finished with 19) was good moves
Marshall Steele Sincs Jones gave midfield different look
Billing’s …ok first game back …typical fade so needs to fix that but polish with ball in hand was useful
NWM - cool 😎
King a loss ….but I’m actually interested to see how his absence affects how we bring ball into 50….first 6 rounds we were dynamic…interesting
Next week could see
Hill Clark Higgins a week or 2 later…Hayes
Finally selection pressure

“Yeah….nah””
Josh Battle
Club Player

Like Jim Kerr used to sing in the 80’s; ‘Don’t you forget about me’

I would have been a good match up for Petracca

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Brave effort vs a good team.

2 rotations down and nofull forward from 20 sec in

That was a gutsy effort from those boys.

I think we have to realise how comprised we have been through injury.

As far as perspective goes, I'm still glass half full.
This year we have found players in:

Phillipou
Owens
Caminiti
Nasiah
Stocker

And seen improvements in:

Sharman
Byrnes
Clark (when not injured)
Wood

We have had no luck with injuries, let's see how we go, if we can get a run at it.

Coffield, Billings , Clark all top 10 draft picks to come back in, and the likes of Membrey, Hayes, Jones and DMac to possibly add more value next year.

Very good coaching panel, we need to trade smart and draft smart and we will improve again.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Sun 09 Jul 2023 12:12pm Every other team in the 8, except The Bulldogs, have played North and West Coast, too, so that doesn't support you argument
I have sent this message to my lawyer, Mr. Saul Goodman. He is looking at it and I have asked him to check carefully - especially those other top 8 teams and look for decent wins in the last seven weeks compared to St Kilda's good wins against rated opposition.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Sun 09 Jul 2023 3:10pm Brave effort vs a good team.

2 rotations down and nofull forward from 20 sec in

That was a gutsy effort from those boys.

I think we have to realise how comprised we have been through injury.

As far as perspective goes, I'm still glass half full.
This year we have found players in:

Phillipou
Owens
Caminiti
Nasiah
Stocker

And seen improvements in:

Sharman
Byrnes
Clark (when not injured)
Wood

We have had no luck with injuries, let's see how we go, if we can get a run at it.

Coffield, Billings , Clark all top 10 draft picks to come back in, and the likes of Membrey, Hayes, Jones and DMac to possibly add more value next year.

Very good coaching panel, we need to trade smart and draft smart and we will improve again.
Good points
Worth noting the arse had started to well and truly fall out of us this time last year
Rd 18 2022 we were 10th and sliding hard…
Given injuries the team and coaches have done a good job whilst still playing kids
Future is ok
The next 2 drafts crucial IMO
Unearth another Owens/Pou to add to Van Es Mclellan Hotton and we could be primed for a sustained run …
Not interested in 1 year wonders let’s get amongst for 6/7 years

“Yeah….nah””
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

‘Some perspective’ - RTB has never been focussed on this season.

#1 Ryder fan