Our 2022 draftees

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Our 2022 draftees

Been watching a bit of the VFL. Oh my Lord, it's hard going.

Here are my observations on what I've seen so far.

Van Es

Needs to use his speed and leap to hammer the aerial contest from behind. At this stage seems tentative about how he approaches each contest. A confidence thing? Has a lot of work to do. There's nothing to suggest he's going to play AFL any time soon.

Keeler

Not really a strong marking player. Finds it hard to hold his ground against opponents in when kicks come in long and high. Gets pushed under the ball easily. Clever when the ball hits the ground though, and has a side step that is very elusive. Has real goal sense. Fitness needs work, as does his intensity. Has some tricks that very few players his size possess. Has the talent. It's just about application and the right education.

McLennan

First hit out last Sunday. He's a goer. Prepared to run and create out of defense. Seems to have no qualms about the rough and tumble. Not afraid to stand in front of a pack and mark the ball. Took an impressive one like that on Sunday. One to watch.

Hotton

He's quick. Might be in the top 5 quickest at the club. At this stage he's getting very little of the ball. Mind you, it's hard playing in that disorganised rabble. Really hard to assess him, but I think he can become a Leigh Montagna type once he's put together a solid pre-season

Peris

A real goer. Not afraid to tackle even though he's lightly built. Playing as a small forward at Sandy is like waiting for rain in Death Valley. In a better environment with better players and a better system around him, I think his speed and defensive skills might shine. Its so hard to tell, though. One of those guys who, once given a chance at AFL level, could really blossom or just as easily fall flat on his face. Still has a lot to learn.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our 2022 draftees

A great summation cwrcyn.

Keeler is a strong mark leading up at the ball but like most kids he gets man handled when sitting waiting for it.

Speed is what both Peris & Hotton have in spades, thats something the AFL team needs. Hotton was said to be one of the best stoppage clearance players in his draft year, hopefully that corresponds to his senior footy when he develops.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the summary.

Keeler, Hotton and Peris would be well served playing in a team that was looking out for them.

My observations from seeing 1 game of VFL this year is that it's a bit "every man for himself". Would that be accurate?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Yes

Zero system

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 10 Jul 2023 7:29pm A great summation cwrcyn.

Keeler is a strong mark leading up at the ball but like most kids he gets man handled when sitting waiting for it.

Speed is what both Peris & Hotton have in spades, thats something the AFL team needs. Hotton was said to be one of the best stoppage clearance players in his draft year, hopefully that corresponds to his senior footy when he develops.
Keeler is still only 18.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Hotton and Van Es still 18, too.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Keeler just needs 12 months in an elite performance environment and he will be good to go.

He kicks it 55m, has a great burst of speed, can leap over a tall building and he is 18. No hurry. Get him fit and put him at high half forward and the wing until he is 20.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I can't recall the last 198cm+ player we drafted/recruited with his skillset. Peter Everitt may be the closest comparison, but still a different type of player.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Mon 10 Jul 2023 7:50pm Thanks for the summary.

Keeler, Hotton and Peris would be well served playing in a team that was looking out for them.

My observations from seeing 1 game of VFL this year is that it's a bit "every man for himself". Would that be accurate?
Watched Footscray beat Collingwood 2 last week in a late afternoon game at Werribee. Looked a good standard and a different competition than the one Sandringham labour in. Funnily enough both sides had discernable system/teamwork when attacking and defending, and skills. Collingwood 2s had some big units height wise, Footscray more nippy and clean. Have to look up who the coaches were.

older saint
SS Life Member

Otiman wrote: Mon 10 Jul 2023 7:50pm Thanks for the summary.

Why we need to take over control of this side . While people say it is working, that may be off field and financially but not on a development level compared to other stand alone teams

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Sandy is run by StK

So all there employees are from StK development staff

That’s the problem

It’s seen as an AFL nursery and not a VFL team

It’s only aim is developing AFL players in accordance with what StK wants from the players

B.M
Saintsational Legend

VFL teams live and die by injuries to AFL listed players

Remind me again

Have we had any injuries this season?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 11 Jul 2023 8:52pm VFL teams live and die by injuries to AFL listed players

Remind me again

Have we had any injuries this season?
Another problem with multiple injuries to AFL listed players is the quality of the top ups that are brought in, from who knows where.
They probably spend half the game learning their new teammates names.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.