Ryan Byrnes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Ryan Byrnes

SAINTS SET TO REWARD WINGMAN

ST KILDA wingman Ryan Byrnes looks set to be rewarded for a breakout year under new coach Ross Lyon, with talks progressing over a new multi-year deal at the Saints.

Byrnes has played in all 16 games so far this season, averaging a career-high 17.2 disposals, with his flexibility and workrate set to earn the 22-year-old an extension at RSEA Park.

Having drifted out of favour under former coach Brett Ratten, playing just 11 games last season, Byrnes has become a mainstay in Lyon's plans and has played across all three lines throughout the year.

Speaking on AFL.com.au's trade and draft show Gettable this week, Byrnes' manager John Meesen from Kapital Sports Group said he was "optimistic" that positive talks would progress to an extension in the coming weeks."I've had some early chats with Stephen Silvagni at St Kilda," Meesen told Gettable.

"The early talks are quite positive. I know he's really enjoyed playing under Ross this year. He's played a little bit more wing and a little bit more half-forward, so he's getting thrown around a lot. But he brings a real desire to work hard, run and compete.

"We're hopeful and optimistic that we'll be able to get something done and extend him for another couple of years."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/974505

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ryan Byrnes

Have no qualms with him signing on but geee I hope he’s not given a long contract or is particularly expensive.

Has improved out of sight but stopped short of elevating his game to consistently good. He’s the type of player that I would worry could become a list clogger if he doesn’t do the work because his disposal/class/effectiveness is really erratic but he overcomes it with a more manic work rate.

To be honest… I’d have liked to have seen a shorter contract for him with an understanding of a bigger contract if he can properly go up a gear.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

He's the sort of player you support and encourage because he has upside. He's only just started feeling like he belongs

What we saw from Ronnie in the second half against Melbourne is his new benchmark.

In the 3rd quarter he had 9 disposals at 100 DE. 5 contested. 4 intercept possessions. 2 inside 50's and 1 direct goal assist.

Saint2
Club Player

Ryan is having a good development year- he seems to really want to put in, and no doubt over summer he will build his tank and will go on from there.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 13 Jul 2023 2:47pm He's the sort of player you support and encourage because he has upside. He's only just started feeling like he belongs

What we saw from Ronnie in the second half against Melbourne is his new benchmark.

In the 3rd quarter he had 9 disposals at 100 DE. 5 contested. 4 intercept possessions. 2 inside 50's and 1 direct goal assist.
Correct. That and for all of his challenges… I’m also very encouraged by the fact that Byrnes running is already elite and he is giving every indication that he’s doing the work. Whilst I don’t think he’s there yet… I think he has shown that he could and will do everything he can to transform into a good AFL mid or better.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Ya think Ronnie could become a kind of Joffa Cunningham?

Obviously, footy is a lot 'cleaner' than the '80s, but I mean in terms of utility around the ground and giving it his all.

It feels that not so long ago, the Bytel-Byrnes thing was cause for optimism in an otherwise gloomy forecast after the Kent-Parker duo went bust. If anything, Bytes was ahead.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

He's ultra professional. I think that's why Ross likes him. I've been a real supporter of his, but his form has been a concern lately.

The only thing that will hold him back is his lack of physical strength. Currently, he can't break a tackle, so therefore he tends to get wrapped up and unable to dish off an effective handball. He's also unable to compete in the air against players his own height .

He can still improve.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Is he Ross's new Robert Eddy maybe?
Limited player but whole hearted in effort and will follow the coach's instructions to the letter.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Byrnes is a good player, but he is not complete yet.

At 22 is still early in his footy development. Needs to make the most of his opportunities.

Obviously has the core attributes and attitudes the coaching team are after.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

So, not selected in the 22 this week. Interesting we'd be offering a 2+ year contract. Perhaps we see some potential and trying to get him cheap?
Last edited by Otiman on Thu 13 Jul 2023 10:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Byrnes has been named at HF in this week’s team.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

has not earnt a multi year deal, not even close, at best he has earnt 1 more year to prove he is capable of standing up in the final minutes of a GF which clearly he is way off the pace.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

It marvellous what opportunity and belief can do for players, he got his opportunities due to our injuries and continues to improve. He is obviously not frightened to do the work and by all accounts could become a future leader at the club. A great result for the young fella - congrats Ryan!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Thu 13 Jul 2023 8:01pm Byrnes has been named at HF in this week’s team.
It's not that difficult is it

4 out injured ...and only 3 players named to come into the team so Ronnie keeps his spot. And why the fvck wouldn't he after playing well against Melbourne?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 13 Jul 2023 8:26pm
SaintPav wrote: Thu 13 Jul 2023 8:01pm Byrnes has been named at HF in this week’s team.
It's not that difficult is it

4 out injured ...and only 3 players named to come into the team so Ronnie keeps his spot. And why the fvck wouldn't he after playing well against Melbourne?
He did some very nice things against Melbourne and showed a great turn of speed. He has only played 44 games; hence, he should have a significant amount of improvement in him, which we will hopefully see consistently in 30-40 games.

I think he deserves a two-year contract at least.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I see, was the old Byrnes/Bytel mixup that got me.

Was the sub last week so thought hed be named as an in.