Sandy Vs Box Hill Match Report

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Sandy Vs Box Hill Match Report

Hi all,

Here’s my take on the game. I went down and watched it in person and came back and watched it before the game on Sunday. Take for what you will but just my honest opinion.

THE GAME OVERALL:
- The boys started off really well. The umpires had it in for us and it was clearly evident against Max Heath with some high tackles where the hawks players ducked their heads and there was a lot of pushes in the back against our players in defence that the umpires ignored. We faded out in the last quarter which sealed them the game. We lack depth in the midfield and we bomb it in going forward.

SOME OTHER THINGS:
- There was a training field umpire who didn’t bounce the ball high enough which I think would allow Max Heath to get the taps better and didn’t interpret the ducking rule well. He had a few decisions overturned by the senior umpire which didn’t help us.
- Campbell didn’t play the first half. I was quite close to their bench and he was actually coaching Keeler and Heath on the bench about Ruck placement. Max Heath was the predominant ruck for this half. I don’t think Saints fans he will play a game at all in the 1s and is just there to help Heath and Keelers development and be there incase Rowan goes down. So I wouldn’t be screaming for him to play. The commentators also confirmed this on the TV recording. Campbell came on in the second half and Max Heath had a half as a back up ruckman and played more forward. Keeler had the usual split of playing both.

THE PLAYERS:
(1) Oscar ADAMS - 14 DISP, 7 MARKS, 2 TACKLES (1 resulting in holding the ball). I thought Adam’s had a great game without Van Es there. He was everywhere. Took a few intercepts. Laid a ripper tackle and resulted in a holding the ball. He was better this week compared to last and is quite quick for his size. Grade: B

(2) Matthew ALLISON - 2 GOALS, 10 DISP, 2 MARKS, 1 TACKLE. I think Allison was on managed minutes like Hayes and Membrey. They were running the boundary when on the bench probably to hit KPIs in their fitness. Kicked two nice goals. He played predominantly wing. I believe is being played like a tall Winger in the likes of Mason Wood. Grade: B

(3) Tom CAMPBELL - 10 DISP, 2 MARKS, 10 HIT OUTS. See above. Only played a half. Didn’t really impact the game at all. Grade: D

(4) Nick COFFIELD - 18 DISP, 5 MARKS, 1 TACKLE. Declined from last week. Has the dash off half back. Couldn’t hit a target this week and costed turnovers. I thought it was the wind at first because it was really gusting at times but then when it settled he didn’t hit a basic target. Laid a few good tackles. I think he’s fighting for Stockers spot but Stocker has him covered this week. Grade C.

(5) Leo CONNOLLY - 23 DISP, 3 MARKS, 1 TACKLE. He’s an enigma ol’ Connolly. He shows glimpses of class and then just ruins everything with a missed kick. He shows good poise, has the jets to burn and runs around players. His two way running to get back to defence was better this week. He could be the next Jack Sinclair but doesn’t hurt the opposition enough for mine. He was taking kick outs so his DISP was inflated but it means that the coaches trust him with his ball use or trying to develop it. He reminds me of a Ryan Byrnes mixed with a Jack Sinclair. Not sure where’s best to play him HB or Centre? Grade: C.

(6) Jack HAYES - 1 GOAL, 7 DISP, 3 MARKS, 1 TACKLE. On managed minutes. Kicked a nice sniper goal. Laid a single tackle but resulted in a a holding the balls was running on the boundary when on the bench so I think needs more fitness. Won’t be coming in any time soon. Not knocking the door down. Grade: C+.

(7) Max HEATH - 1 GOAL, 16 DISP, 3 MARKS, 4 TACKLES, 14 HITOUTS. This kid is ready. He played predominantly on Max Ramsden who has year on Heath and has played AFL level. Max was the better of the two. Laid some ripper tackles. One of them was holding the ball. Reminds me a lot like Rowan Marshall but with the taps. He kicked a nice goal and set up a few and was pivotal helping the back man. I think he’s ready for AFL and would like to see him come in but I’ve been saying this since the preseason. Was moved into the forward in the second half so his hit outs were lower. His Collingwood game last week was a better example of his ruck work. Grade: A-

(8) Tom HIGHMORE - 20 DISP, 5 MARKS, 1 TACKLE. A meh game from Highmore. Started off well but then faded real quick. He got in a fight with the opposition and wasn’t watching the ball and not helping defence. Resulted in a goal and it was when we were still in it. He was down compared to last week. Not sure if he’s ready for the call up. A lot his disposals are inflated with kick outs and didn’t lay as many tackles for a defender. Grade: C.

(9) Olli HOTTON - 2 BEHINDS, 18 DISP, 5 MARKS, 4 TACKLES - our second best player on the ground today behind Max Heath. Played a 50:50 of HF and mid. I thought he played a great game. Made some good decisions with ball and hand. I commented last week he needed to kick the ball more and less handballs which he did this week so that was a plus. Needs to clean up his goal kicking but will forgive because he had shots against the wind both times. Grade: B+

(10) Isaac KEELER - 2 GOALS (1 on the run, 1 set shot), 9 DISP, 4 MARKS, 4 TACKLES, 4 HIT OUTS. Played mainly forward but assisted in tucking in the first half when Campbell didn’t play. He shows glimpses of magic and he gives me goosebumps to what his ceiling could be. He could be the next Paddy Ryder or be a complete dud. He’s got something about him that none of the above have and that is raw talent and X factor. He could become a player after a couple of preseasons and the commentators were saying the same thing. In terms of todays game he had a bit of an influence as a key forward back up ruckman. I hope he gets to work more on his ruck craft. I would like us to give up on Campbell and give the 50:50 split to Heath and Keeler IMHO and will probably happen at the end of the year. Grade B+

(11) Angus MCLENNAN - not even going to bother posting his stats because he as trash. I don’t think he has what it takes to play AFL level I’m sorry. Just doesn’t get to the right places, does dumb s*** like handballs under pressure to the hotspot of the back line and not towards the boundary or the posts to concede a reset. Does hack kicks under pressure which result in turnovers. Overall a very bad game followed up by a bad one last week. Grade D-

(12) Tim MEMBREY - 1 GOAL, 4 MARKS - Not shabby on return. Was running more laps on the boundary compared to the other boys off rehab. Won’t be put in the side any time soon. I think he’s best days have gone past him TBH. Grade: C+

(13) Ben PATON - 1 BEHIND, 23 DISP, 2 MARKS, 6 TACKLES - played everywhere today. Was HB than in the guts. Was really classy and good in under. Gave our mids a fighting chance with no Bytel. Don’t think it warranted a call up but good depth.

(14) Jack PERIS - 1 GOAL, 1 BEHIND, 25 DISP, 3 TACKLES, 1 CLEARANCE. He was really good today. I didn’t see much of him in the first quarter but built as the game went on. Is the replacement for a Gresh, Butler, Higgins if injured and will do the job nicely. I think he’s hungry for AFL now that he has played. Does smart things. Just needs to hit the scoreboard more for more reward for effort.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Sandy Vs Box Hill Match Report

Great work, thanks.

Rubyjo
Club Player

Great to get these reports ..thanks very much.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Hotton is still building his fitness,but I though his first half was very impressive. Has clean hands, speed, a nice sidestep and can jump. Honestly, if I thought his fitness was up to it, I'd play him as a sub in a couple of the remaining games . I think he'll play midfield in the seniors from round one next year.

Heath is progressing nicely, but I'm not sure he's quite ready for senior footy just yet. He needs at least another 5kg to physically compete with AFL rucks. He'll play some senior football next year. Confident he'll be a player.

Coffield probably pulled up a little sore after his first hit out. He's a class above VFL level.

Unfortunately, Hayes and Membrey just don't have the fitness base to come straight in

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 31 Jul 2023 8:37pm Hotton is still building his fitness,but I though his first half was very impressive. Has clean hands, speed, a nice sidestep and can jump. Honestly, if I thought his fitness was up to it, I'd play him as a sub in a couple of the remaining games . I think he'll play midfield in the seniors from round one next year.

Heath is progressing nicely, but I'm not sure he's quite ready for senior footy just yet. He needs at least another 5kg to physically compete with AFL rucks. He'll play some senior football next year. Confident he'll be a player.

Coffield probably pulled up a little sore after his first hit out. He's a class above VFL level.

Unfortunately, Hayes and Membrey just don't have the fitness base to come straight in
Agreed on Hotton. He looks really good.

I’m very keen on Heath so I’m probably over enthusiastic. I agree in that one more preseason he will be unleashed. He did well against Ramsden who has played seniors. I do think he will get monstered on Gawn, Witts, Grundy, OMac types which is a reality.

Didn’t think about that about Coffield. Hopefully he bounces back next week. Can’t see him pushing out Stocker but will come good for next year.

Agree on Hayes and Membrey.

I’m just dissaopointed on McLennan. He doesn’t look up to it. Looks lost and is either not adapting to the game plan or just doesn’t basic AFL qualities. I hope he proves me wrong next week and makes me look like a goose because I had high hopes for him.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Thanks, I thought Gus had a good game last week (may have been the game prior). Didn't see this game though so interested in what others thought.

Agree with your general comments around the rehab group, Hotton, Keeler, and I also fear Membrey's best is behind him. I think needs a full preseason before he gets a look in.

Van Es two weeks on the sidelines, something to worry about?

Adams is due a contract I think - worth another year?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Good write up TheGreatZacsby, but I think you are being tough on McLennan given where he has come from this year. Before his injury, the preseason training watchers were talking him up in the intra club scratch games. I think we need to give them more than 2 or 3 games before we write players off.

I watched a couple of his Sandringham Dragons games last year and in particular his grand final game where he had a blinder. I think he will become a very good player and prove your premature assessment of him very wrong.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 31 Jul 2023 11:30pm Good write up TheGreatZacsby, but I think you are being tough on McLennan given where he has come from this year. Before his injury, the preseason training watchers were talking him up in the intra club scratch games. I think we need to give them more than 2 or 3 games before we write players off.

I watched a couple of his Sandringham Dragons games last year and in particular his grand final game where he had a blinder. I think he will become a very good player and prove your premature assessment of him very wrong.
I really hope he does make me bite my words. I liked him in his draft year too. I think it’s more him jelling with the backline. I’m sure Borris will get him good. I’m just super critical because I played HBF and his decisions make me go WHAT THE HAYALL. I’ll watch hard on him next week.

Saint2
Club Player

Thanks for the report, though I do think Sandy need better coaching.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 31 Jul 2023 8:37pm Hotton is still building his fitness,but I though his first half was very impressive. Has clean hands, speed, a nice sidestep and can jump. Honestly, if I thought his fitness was up to it, I'd play him as a sub in a couple of the remaining games . I think he'll play midfield in the seniors from round one next year.

Would Hayes be fit enough to just provide what Cordy provides as a forward and back up in the ruck for a few minutes per quarter?

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

From what I saw on the weekend, he was running ups and downs along the boundaries so he’s obviously hitting fitness KPIs that he isn’t reaching in game. I don’t think he will be selected yet.