Self-Flagellation

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Self-Flagellation

All of these fans complaining about mediocrity have become so monotonous. The season couldn’t finish any sooner for those poor sods.

Seriously, if people are getting that down on following St.K.F.C., then perhaps they need to find a new hobby.

I, for one, actually don’t feel all that disappointed about how this season has panned out, as I didn’t really have any proper expectations for this team to play finals. The reality of the situation is, we have a new coach and a list with an abundance of youngsters and rookies, but with an average group of experienced players to lead them. We’re pretty much in mini rebuild. Unfortunately, it’s just a long row to hoe. But things can pick up pretty soon (maybe even next year).

Hang in there, fellow Sainters! And if it gets you too down, take a break from it all. I actually took a year away from footy in ‘07 and returned when the team just started to show real promise.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Self-Flagellation

Good post

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Thank Christ Daisy Pearce wasn't doing special comments on the broadcast today ...for Sainternist's sake at least :mrgreen:

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 12:27am Thank Christ Daisy Pearce wasn't doing special comments on the broadcast today ...for Sainternist's sake at least :mrgreen:
Oh, god! Not Daisy! I was actually at the game. Going home on the train to the sounds of Carlton supporters gloating is even worse than having to listen to Daisy, but fortunately I brought some headphones and chose Slayer’s live album Decade of Aggression for the trip home’s soundtrack 🤘🏼

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
SinCitySainter
Club Player

I am sorry but a mini-rebuild is the issue.
A mini rebuild is what you do when you are at the top and just starting to slip because of a few older players not when you are middle of the pack going nowhere.
We are in a position where the coach has one of two choices:
one go all in saying we should be challenging now and aggressively target the last couple of pieces of the puzzle we need to win the whole thing (delusional in my opinion).
or two gut the list and start rebuilding from scratch targeting a few years right down the arse end of the ladder and pick up as many high draft picks as we can.

A mini rebuild just keeps us happily mired in 6-12 territory for the next three to four years of virtually unwatchable football (as is Ross's way) until he is inevitably sacked and we go around again.

The other reason that people are so upset this year is because Ross came in and his fans were all saying that he was going to play a more attacking style and that he has become a better coach over the years.
Well he may be a better coach, the team isn't good enough to decide whether that is true or not, but he is just as negative anti-football as ever, setting the side up to minimise the opportunities for the opposition to score while ignoring our attacking structures entirely.
We are so structured behind the ball that we are difficult to score against even though speed and accurate kicking can tear us apart as we like to defend grass but even that is a structured plan.
However, when we get the ball we seem to have no plan at all except go long and wide and it's every man for himself.
Watching it makes you wonder if he ever even trains any attacking drills.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

It’s always hard the next day, and without rose coloured glasses, I agree with Sainternist. It’s been an up-and-down ride this year. But I now have now more hope for the team than what I did last year.
And some of the negative posters on here, remind me of the Carlton supporters I heard on the radio earlier in the year. They were embarrassing.
Get behind this team people , “will” get better.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 12:13am All of these fans complaining about mediocrity have become so monotonous. The season couldn’t finish any sooner for those poor sods.

Seriously, if people are getting that down on following St.K.F.C., then perhaps they need to find a new hobby.

I, for one, actually don’t feel all that disappointed about how this season has panned out, as I didn’t really have any proper expectations for this team to play finals. The reality of the situation is, we have a new coach and a list with an abundance of youngsters and rookies, but with an average group of experienced players to lead them. We’re pretty much in mini rebuild. Unfortunately, it’s just a long row to hoe. But things can pick up pretty soon (maybe even next year).

Hang in there, fellow Sainters! And if it gets you too down, take a break from it all. I actually took a year away from footy in ‘07 and returned when the team just started to show real promise.
And why is it monotonous. Should they praise "mediocrity" or just sit down and shut up. If the Club could pull itself out of mediocrity, there you go.
Lets look at yesterday and where we stand. No discernable improvement from last year but we trashed a good man and our self image on the alter of what. Rolled over just as we were doing this time last year.
For the majority of the season you did not need a Harvard PhD to see there were glaring systemic and personnel problems with our forwards and mids.
What has been done? Bugger all. The mantra is that's all you can expect and next year it will be better because the President wishes it so and immediate change was imperative. Sure.
Most clubs have improved their systems and use of players this year. I think we are a notable exception; keep launching over the trenches into no man's land waving a baton. Ross would of course make a great politician. As a coach he is a great real estate salesman. If his record over the last 10 years was presented to a group that know nothing of him and AFL what conclusion do you think they might come to as regard his coaching ability. He may be a genius, but he hides it well. The monotonous mediocrity continues and we are urged to just suck it up. Actually it would be an improvement if our forwards could reach mediocrity.
And Basset doesn't ride home in public transport, which probably saves him from monotonous complaining about seemingly endless mediocrity from the great unwashed. And yes, it will lead to supporters taking a break. Kiss goodbye to those budget forecasts of 60k members in 2024 unless somethin special happens in the next few weeks.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

New coaching group not even in place for a full trade /pre season and the imbeciles think it should all be fixed by Rd 21
Ratten had 3 years FFS and did squat ???? Kept telling anyone who’d listen we were “in the window”
**** me it boggles the mind

“Yeah….nah””
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

SinCitySainter wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 10:08am I am sorry but a mini-rebuild is the issue.
A mini rebuild is what you do when you are at the top and just starting to slip because of a few older players not when you are middle of the pack going nowhere.
one go all in saying we should be challenging now and aggressively target the last couple of pieces of the puzzle we need to win the whole thing (delusional in my opinion).
or two gut the list and start rebuilding from scratch targeting a few years right down the arse end of the ladder and pick up as many high draft picks as we can.

A mini rebuild just keeps us happily mired in 6-12 territory for the next three to four years of virtually unwatchable football (as is Ross's way) until he is inevitably sacked and we go around again.

The other reason that people are so upset this year is because Ross came in and his fans were all saying that he was going to play a more attacking style and that he has become a better coach over the years.
Well he may be a better coach, the team isn't good enough to decide whether that is true or not, but he is just as negative anti-football as ever, setting the side up to minimise the opportunities for the opposition to score while ignoring our attacking structures entirely.
We are so structured behind the ball that we are difficult to score against even though speed and accurate kicking can tear us apart as we like to defend grass but even that is a structured plan.
However, when we get the ball we seem to have no plan at all except go long and wide and it's every man for himself.
I don't think we're going to do a mini rebuild at all. I think SoS is going to cut much, much deeper than a few fringe players. And I suspect some fan favourites might be on their way.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 10:08am I am sorry but a mini-rebuild is the issue.

Very very good post
The inability of this club to go down the bottom take some pain to bring in a talented core is the issue
A decade of ass covering coaches (and a Board who bought it) is the issue
Hill Howard Ryder Jones Crouch - all imports and yes sone have performed….but were we really on the cusp when we added these to an exciting youth core????? No
Coffield Clarke Billing’s Gresham - all eventuated into mediocre/unfulfilled potential….so we are left with a beige “senior core” and **** all youth taking the next step
It wasn’t untill our academy kids fell in our lap and we got Philipou that you started to see green shoots
News flash: I think Lyon knows it
I think Hawks fly past us next year
We have to go back to go forwards
Stop pretending we are “top 8” that’s killing us

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 11:40am New coaching group not even in place for a full trade /pre season and the imbeciles think it should all be fixed by Rd 21
Ratten had 3 years FFS and did squat ???? Kept telling anyone who’d listen we were “in the window”
Has RTB done any better? .................NO, HE HASN'T.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 12:08pm
Teflon wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 11:40am New coaching group not even in place for a full trade /pre season and the imbeciles think it should all be fixed by Rd 21
We were 9th same round last year with far less injuries
Try READ/COMPREHEND before typing
Context matters
Wasted on you I know

“Yeah….nah””
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

I mean, he's had not even one season with a playig list that's been barely available week to week so I think the comparison is apples to oranges even at the most basic level

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 12:39pm
I mean, he's had not even one season with a playig list that's been barely available week to week so I think the comparison is apples to oranges even at the most basic level
Correct N!ck
Amazed how that little bit of context gets overlooked for W/L numbers only
Pretty basic stuff

“Yeah….nah””
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Mon 07 Aug 2023 12:27am Thank Christ Daisy Pearce wasn't doing special comments on the broadcast today ...for Sainternist's sake at least :mrgreen:
And my sake.

Saint supporter since '62