Congratulations Mitchito

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Congratulations Mitchito

Third in the NAB Rising Star Award.

1st place – Harry Sheezel (54 votes)
2nd place – Will Ashcroft (39 votes)
3rd place – Mitchito Owens (33 votes)

Was a lot of talk about him winning - and in another year - maybe so - but it was always going to be Sheezel then Ashcroft as they played in more prominent roles.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: Congratulations Mitchito

Mitchito is far more valuable player than first two ranked guys. Can't imagine either of them pinch hitting in the ruck, taking pack marks or splitting packs with brute strength. Interesting how the experts form opinions.

Also how could that thug T. Green be AA captain. It had to be Moore. And Gawn is best ruck with Rowan just behind. Tim English better than those two. "Phffft".

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 31 Aug 2023 12:35am Mitchito is far more valuable player than first two ranked guys. Can't imagine either of them pinch hitting in the ruck, taking pack marks or splitting packs with brute strength. Interesting how the experts form opinions.

Also how could that thug T. Green be AA captain. It had to be Moore. And Gawn is best ruck with Rowan just behind. Tim English better than those two. "Phffft".
Gawn had a very mediocre season by his standards and wouldn’t be in the conversation for top 5 rucks this year.

English first 7 to 8 was the best statistical patch of games ever produced by a ruckman; although agree he plateaued significantly in the back half and finished the season on level pegging with row in my opinion.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Mitchito translates as "Brownlow" in Japanese.
Fair dinkum (desu).

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Well done Mitch.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Nathan Buckley had him first in his votes, the only judge not to give Sheezel the top marks.
I reckon he credits him playing in a more difficult position than HBF where Sheezel won all his possessions.
Well done Michito

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Congrats Mitchito, should be very proud of himself, he might have been a bit stiff, I wouldn't kick Sheezel out my team though cause he wouldn't have won too many votes in North's forward line.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I didn't rate Sheezel's year, had Ashcroft, Owens, and Amiss ahead of him.

Humphrey would have been in there too if not for inconsistency.

All 5 will be guns.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 31 Aug 2023 6:43am Mitchito translates as "Brownlow" in Japanese.
Fair dinkum (desu).
Japanese are not to be trusted. They are bullshitting you.
But I suppose they have been doing that for years.
They do that in most forums.
Also partial to stealing poor nations fish.
And ours.
But they are so polite.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Brunswicksainter wrote: Thu 31 Aug 2023 2:04am
Yorkeys wrote: Thu 31 Aug 2023 12:35am Mitchito is far more valuable player than first two ranked guys. Can't imagine either of them pinch hitting in the ruck, taking pack marks or splitting packs with brute strength. Interesting how the experts form opinions.

Gawn had a very mediocre season by his standards and wouldn’t be in the conversation for top 5 rucks this year.

English first 7 to 8 was the best statistical patch of games ever produced by a ruckman; although agree he plateaued significantly in the back half and finished the season on level pegging with row in my opinion.
Would you have English in your side before Gawn? Gawn is easily the better player. Who are the other 4 rucks better than Max I wonder? How do you factor in the failed Grundy experiment in terms of Max's game time this year. No Gawn, no Dees, and they are flag favourite. English is on holidays along with an all star Dogs mid field, Max will ruck against Pies on Thursday.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

For their pure tap work (plus their size) I'd have Max Gawn, then English, Jarrod Witts, and The Big O

As a player overall considering their ability to win clearances and their marks and disposals around the ground, Marshall beats them all

The guy who plays a similar game to Ro, happens to be his next opponent. Surprising to see that Briggs has higher clearance numbers than Ro

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 2=S&type=A

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 31 Aug 2023 9:39am
Brunswicksainter wrote: Thu 31 Aug 2023 2:04am

Would you have English in your side before Gawn? Gawn is easily the better player. Who are the other 4 rucks better than Max I wonder? How do you factor in the failed Grundy experiment in terms of Max's game time this year. No Gawn, no Dees, and they are flag favourite. English is on holidays along with an all star Dogs mid field, Max will ruck against Pies on Thursday.
The all australian team is based on performance over the course of the season. Gawn bar a few games, had a pretty ordinary season. Simple.

English, Marshall, Jackson, Oscar McInerney & Kieran Biggs had substantially better seasons than Gawn by almost every metric. Could probably argue Witts and Obrien were also better marginally. No one would agree that gawn deserves AA, he didnt even make the 40.