Dunstan ACL

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

axcellence
Club Player

Dunstan ACL

I know a few people don’t want to talk about him. However, just read that he’s done his ACL last week. That means even 2024 is a write off for him even if it was just VFL.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dunstan ACL

axcellence wrote: Sat 02 Sep 2023 11:03pm I know a few people don’t want to talk about him. However, just read that he’s done his ACL last week. That means even 2024 is a write off for him even if it was just VFL.
That's a shame. Who is Dunstan again?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Tough break for him.

I don’t know what the deal with he and Ratten was… but seems like the move wasn’t a good outcome for him.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

By my guess, he's played his last AFL game. Tough luck , Luke.

Saint supporter since '62
saynta
Saintsational Legend

axcellence wrote: Sat 02 Sep 2023 11:03pm I know a few people don’t want to talk about him. However, just read that he’s done his ACL last week. That means even 2024 is a write off for him even if it was just VFL.
Posted last Tuesday in the afl discussion thread.

"The Dees Dunstan did an ACL playing reserves footy on the weekend,

Sad ending for a former Saint.

These users thanked the author saynta for the post (total 2):
bobmurray, Scollop

Rating: 8.33%"

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Going to a club with a midfield containing Viney, Petracca, Oliver etc, and as strong as Melbourne is, always meant he was going to be back up at best.
Perhaps at a weaker club he may have got games and prolonged his career.

Confined to the can't run brigade like Constable, Bytel and many others.
Way too good for VFL but lack of belief from senior coaches at AFL level.

Always turned his body out in premium condition, had a crack but rightly or wrongly felt he was not treated fairly at St Kilda.

Best of luck in what comes next.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Killa
Club Player

Bad luck for any player no matter the level they play at.

From the same Club as Sharman and Phillipou.

And we also lost Acres from the Draft which netted he and Dunstan with consecutive First Round Picks.

Both moved on by the Senior Coach, one because it was thought a move home (WA) would benefit him despite no such request from the player and the other because of deficiencies in overall skills (despite leading the Club's Brownlow Votes from limited games across the season, dropped late for Bytel).

The same Senior Coach who challenged Steele to become more than a defensive, run with midfielder.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Sun 03 Sep 2023 7:20pm Bad luck for any player no matter the level they play at.

And we also lost Acres from the Draft which netted he and Dunstan with consecutive First Round Picks.

Both moved on by the Senior Coach, one because it was thought a move home (WA) would benefit him despite no such request from the player and the other because of deficiencies in overall skills (despite leading the Club's Brownlow Votes from limited games across the season, dropped late for Bytel).

The same Senior Coach who challenged Steele to become more than a defensive, run with midfielder.
Well 3 from 3 for that coach. Quite good judgement.
Blake developed out of sight in WA. Luke didn't/probably couldn't with Dees. Jack AA x 2.
That's pretty good assessments from the coach.
Love to see his notes on all the others.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Sun 03 Sep 2023 7:20pm Bad luck for any player no matter the level they play at.

Acres was keen to stay and maybe Ratts didn't have much of a say. St Kilda got reamed in the Brad Hill trade. I think Lethers and the club were prepared to do anything to please Fremantle

The positives to come out of getting Hill secured was that we also managed to convince his cousin Paddy Ryder to sign with St Kilda, otherwise we got well and truly bent over by Ding Dong Bell

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 03 Sep 2023 10:52pm

Acres was keen to stay and maybe Ratts didn't have much of a say. St Kilda got reamed in the Brad Hill trade. I think Lethers and the club were prepared to do anything to please Fremantle

The positives to come out of getting Hill secured was that we also managed to convince his cousin Paddy Ryder to sign with St Kilda, otherwise we got well and truly bent over by Ding Dong Bell
Goodness another anti Brad post.
Never gets old even after all these years and the great performances he puts in.
Did he refuse an autograph?
Jealous of his reputed salary package?
You think Peter Bell is better than our recruiters?
I don't. We made the 8.
BTW we bent them over first game of the year, and that's no speculation.

ace
Saintsational Legend

AFL career over, no footy next year, he will be delisted.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 04 Sep 2023 12:15am
Scollop wrote: Sun 03 Sep 2023 10:52pm

Goodness another anti Brad post.
Never gets old even after all these years and the great performances he puts in.
Did he refuse an autograph?
Jealous of his reputed salary package?
You think Peter Bell is better than our recruiters?
I don't. We made the 8.
BTW we bent them over first game of the year, and that's no speculation.
Take a chill pill. I like Brad. Not his fault we lost Blake.

I hope we don't get reamed like that again. I hope we walk away instead of paying overs in draft picks

King Max
Club Player

It was sad to see him walking into the medical centre on the news last week with Melksham and they didn't even mention him. It was all about Melksham.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

To be fair he hasn't played AFL in 2 years.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I don't get the animosity towards St Kilda from Dunstan. He showed promise early but never got any better and we carried him as one of the AFL's worst performing onballers for a solid hundred games. At any other club he would have been in the same position that he's been in at Melbourne - playing reserves. Shame about the ACL but realistically his career was over as soon as he left St Kilda.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Tue 05 Sep 2023 2:22pm To be fair he hasn't played AFL in 2 years.
Must have been his ghost then that I saw in his dees jumper last year.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Wed 06 Sep 2023 1:54am I don't get the animosity towards St Kilda from Dunstan. He showed promise early but never got any better and we carried him as one of the AFL's worst performing onballers for a solid hundred games. At any other club he would have been in the same position that he's been in at Melbourne - playing reserves. Shame about the ACL but realistically his career was over as soon as he left St Kilda.
In some pockets… there’s an impression of the Saints over the Richo/Ratten years as a team full of players that didn’t want to do the work, were sulky, had a bad attitude etc and didn’t get better.

A lot of posts here and on BF of personal trainers etc that reportedly stated they didn’t like working with many Saints players because they had bad attitudes

Dunstan seems to be the poster boy of that and it seems to be that as he was pushed… he pushed back. It feels to me like at some point Ratten adopted the approach that he wasn’t taking anymore cr@& from him and Dunstan came across as though he cried foul at the treatment.

It was a weird position cutting Luke when he was finally showing a glimpse of his actual capabilities but I have to say… Dunstan came across very poorly to me in that last year

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He is a bit of a dick - arrogant

That I know

His athleticism was very limited, his kicking woeful

Reasons why we should NEVER have drafted him with pick 19

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

One of our captains best mates, so can’t be too much of a ‘dick’

Another player screwed by the Richo era.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I'll conceed on that (thought he hadn't even been selected once), but he played less games than Bytel this year. Wouldn't call that much of a season.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Some bedside reading/viewing for those interested:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/depart ... 524ddcb869

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I had 49

Haha

Bit of self love!!!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Here’s a smart move

I can’t get a game in StKs midfield

So I’ll go to Melbourne and sit behind Oliver, Petracca, Viney, Brayshaw, Pickett

Bit like Brodie Grundy
Melbourne was the LAST club he should’ve gone to
Anyone who has a clue knew that

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 06 Sep 2023 9:37pm Here’s a smart move

I can’t get a game in StKs midfield

So I’ll go to Melbourne and sit behind Oliver, Petracca, Viney, Brayshaw, Pickett

Bit like Brodie Grundy
Melbourne was the LAST club he should’ve gone to
Anyone who has a clue knew that
He could get a game in our midfield, and was one of our best performers in there the last year he played for us.

Problem was the ex coach put a line thru him before the season started, obviously due to personal conflicts outside the field of play, and was made to look like a fool for doing so, and obviously didn’t last much longer himself.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

He is ordinary- I wouldn’t have drafted him 1, and would’ve delisted him 2

Worst midfield runner I’ve seen at StK

I watched a time trial at Seaford and he only beat home Billy Longer!

He had strengths - running and kicking weren’t amongst them