Fraser

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

Fraser

It is interesting how people are talking about some of our other players and Fraser is not being spoken about at all.

I didn't see the game as I don't have poxtel but to what I was hearing on the radio it does appear Fraser really did want to be out there playing tonight

What's the go with him, just a mark last week and this week a lazy 4 touches. I know he kicked a bag against Carlton, but his good games now seem to be getting further and further apart.

Is it time for Fraser to retire? it does seem he has lost the passion and love to play. I would rather him say "I have had enough" and not play him than have to carry him for the rest of the season.

Am I overreacting or do people agree with me?

thoughts???

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
battye
Saintsational Legend

Overreacting. He wants to play on next year. He'll come good.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

poor delivery

flooded 50

the big man wasn't bad just didn't get a opportunity to shine

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:poor delivery

flooded 50

Thanks for that, its hard when you are only going on what they were saying on the radio and not being able to watch the game on telly.

Cheers battye, they made it sound bad on the radio, damn Triple M
Last edited by Dal_Santos_Gal on Sun 12 Aug 2007 12:23am, edited 1 time in total.

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:poor delivery

flooded 50

exactly

he is fine...poor delivery from our mids

he cant get the ball in the midfield and chip it to himself...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

At a team like West Coast, Geelong, Collingwood or Hawthorn he would kick 80 goals in a season.

At St Kilda he gets poor delivery and we always give the opposition time to flood our forward line before we kick it long. His forward pressure is pathetic but in terms of goals kicked, there aren't many players who would do better.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

spent a fair amount of time on the pine...tanking anyone :wink:

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Fraser

I had the same feelings as you, last week. I said to myself he would come out firing this week after copping the criticism of such a shocker. I was right, for about 2 minutes. He snapped the first goal of the game and I thought he was going to put in a blinder.

Sadly, the slow delivery meant that he could not get a good run at the ball, but even if we got it in there fast, I just don't think he had the passion tonight.

I'm still reserving my judgement whether its from within, or just stemming from frustration at the gameplan or delivery.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

as a team, we offer him nothing.

This is the only player in our team that is capable of absolutely tearing teams apart and we give him 3 opponents, %^^ delivery and move the ball slowly

then the usual bandwagon supporters start crying at how 3 possessions here and there and then they love him when we kick the ball to him and he kicks 6 goals

Sam23
SS Life Member

Watching the game, I thought he tried.

lack of delivery into the 50 is what hurt him.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:as a team, we offer him nothing.

This is the only player in our team that is capable of absolutely tearing teams apart and we give him 3 opponents, %^^ delivery and move the ball slowly

then the usual bandwagon supporters start crying at how 3 possessions here and there and then they love him when we kick the ball to him and he kicks 6 goals
Lets be honest.....I love Fraser...but his form is usually great against ordinary defences......Carlton ring a bell????

To me he drops the lip and from there its downhill with attitude.......he doesnt to me have the mental strength to work hard to force his way into a game aka Riewodlt....and thats a shame sfrom such a talented big unit........(eg) Id like to see him crash a pack even IF he aint kicking goals? chase?.......you juts dont get that unfortunately.

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

he play better against mediocre teams because our midfield gets on top and delivers him decent footy

SaintWal
Club Player

His second efforts were insipid to say the least.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:he play better against mediocre teams because our midfield gets on top and delivers him decent footy
true...and in turn his whole body language/energy is up....so whats that really saying? when things aint going his way its goodnight...theres little in the way of second efforts....or toughing it out aka Roo.

“Yeah….nah””
SaintDippa
Club Player

Dinosaur with no sideways movement. Time and the game has moved on, especially now RL (nee Roos) is in the directors chair. We need a more mobile type out of the square (ie Fevola {drool}).

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

fair point tefs,

all i can respond to that is with you can't put in a second effort when the contest is lost before u even get to it

he's not a contested ball midfielder, he can't bump up his stats with cheap kicks across halfback... he's in the team to kick goals and we're not letting him

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I agree Skeptic but hes also a team leader.......sulking back to the goal square looking at your shoe laces sends a message to younger team mates whether hed like to think so or not.

Even then, theres times when that ball comes in where you watch Gehrig and he doesnt even appear to want to make the tackle - a defender runs past, Fraser puts up the obligatory out stretched arm...defender runs away (Wakelin loves running off him) and Fraser just stops.....he doesnt have that urgency he does when its coming in a little easier thats all.

But your point re midfield is spot on - some on here truly believe our midfield is up to 04 standards....sadly its a lot on reputation in there for mine at present - I reckon Lenny, Harvs and Dal have had little real impact with any consistency this season and it kills us.

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I hear what you're saying.

Could you imagine a little bit of Aaron Hamil in Fraser Gehrig. The opposition would wet themselves every time

kalsaint
Club Player

Teflon wrote:I agree Skeptic but hes also a team leader.......sulking back to the goal square looking at your shoe laces sends a message to younger team mates whether hed like to think so or not.

Even then, theres times when that ball comes in where you watch Gehrig and he doesnt even appear to want to make the tackle - a defender runs past, Fraser puts up the obligatory out stretched arm...defender runs away (Wakelin loves running off him) and Fraser just stops.....he doesnt have that urgency he does when its coming in a little easier thats all.

But your point re midfield is spot on - some on here truly believe our midfield is up to 04 standards....sadly its a lot on reputation in there for mine at present - I reckon Lenny, Harvs and Dal have had little real impact with any consistency this season and it kills us.
Pretty much all true Tephlon. You last comment only serves to remind me of the lack of depth we have in the midfield.

Faser needs to show leadership by his actions. You are right in saying he sulks around the goal line when he should be lifting to the challenge and going to seek the ball.

Nick normally does this (didnt today!??) Mathew Lloyd does this, as does Rocca, Brown, Mooney etc etc. Must move if the ball is not being delivered right. Coach and leadership players should see this.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Fraser played a shocker last week, who gets no possessions?????????? Not much better this week. Not good enough.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
carn_sainter
Club Player

Gherig does not deserve much blame

people look at his stats and see he was quiet and think he was disinterested or lazy

truth is, he chases and he pressures and pushes back and forward well

BUT

there is not a forward in the game who could make something out of the ball movement and delivery gherig has had to put up with

we seriously did not hit 3 targets in a fluent forward motion in a row last night

not once

all our inside 50s were rubbish and its always too crowded because when we move the ball we miss targets have to double back and it takes much more time

plugger would struggle getting this service

gherig was quiet but he was not really to blame

Baz1970

Why was he on the bench when the game was there to be won?

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

You cant point the finger at Gehrig, in a wheelchair his averages are still good. In 2007 he has only had 3 non scoring games all in losing sides.
Against a team thata floods heavily, he still managed to top the squad with 2 goals, how many did Hall kick???

Seeya
duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

my beef with fraser has never been with his ability.
its his effort.

some weeks he barely raises a sweat and seems to be out there just to collect a paycheck.

as much as a moron barry hall was last night- at least he was trying to make things happen for himself.
Albeit in his stupid, meathead way.

Didnt see a whimper from gtrain at the other end.

I can't believe he doesn't get inspired to have a crack after watching roo for the last 5 years.

milney044
Club Player

have you noted how many goals our main forwards have kicked the last 2 years. have you also noted how effective our midfielders have been these last 2 years? a lot of people have been saying our forwards havent been kicking enough goals and its not very hard to see why. are midfield imo have been our weakest link for 2 years now.
footy for the saints these last 2 years has been non-exciting, boring football and im not exaggerating - how many highlights can you recall these passed two seasons? fraser dancing to a goal against the dogs last year is the only stand out for me. our midfield aren't what they used to be and i dont care what anyone says. they might show something flashy once in a whole game. back in the day this would happen 10 times a game. it's very hard for a player like fraser who is so reliant on delivery to play well when he has to deal with this. how often do we win a clearance that hits roo or frase on the chest? how many times have you seen it this year??

now along with the rest of you im not too happy with fraser's second efforts. however its easy to understand why frase is so frustrated and unlike roo who has unbelievable heart and never gives in, fraser is older and more demanding and like anyone, gets sick and tired when poor delivery doesnt allow him to do his job- kick goals. we even saw roo get frustrated himself last night, which says a lot from a bloke who keeps going and going regardless.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.