Gram The Midfielder

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Statsman
Club Player

Gram The Midfielder

What do people think of developing Gram into a midfielder?

Clearly we need pace in our midfield and Gram could certainly provide that. He also lacks a bit of accountability as a half back flank and therefore may be a better option further up the ground. With Sam Fisher, Gilbert and Raph Clarke all now playing as running backmen we have the option to releases Gram to play up the ground.

As a start you'd play him on the wing, much as we've done with Montagna. Over time, as he builds up his base fitness and endurance, he could move into the centre square as a true midfielder. He'll need to improve his decision making and disposal on the run, but he's not Robinson Crusoe there. Gram has the pace and evasive skills for Judd-like bursts out of the pack and into space which can be invaluable. He can also break out the middle and kick goals from 50m, which again is something our other midfielders lack.

I'd play both Gram and Montagna on the wings in 2008 with the two of them working into the midfield rotation to spell the core unit of Hayes, Harvey, Ball and Dal Santo.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
Saints-06-Premiers
Club Player

It could work, but I think if he's gonna play in close, he's gotta develop kicking on his left, yesterday's left foot effort you could tell he has no left foot.

Too lazy to update my username
midas_touch
Club Player

Gram on one wing with Fiora/Montagna on the other could work. However, I cannot imagine (at this stage anyway) Gram winning the ball out of the contests, playing as an inside midfielder.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
hAyES
Club Player

I think he could be used the same way Wojcinski is used at Geelong once he gets his endurance up. Once he works on his disposal he could be a very damaging midfielder, but not an inside one.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Gram is a wingman/flanker. I don't think he has the body or poise for the in-close stuff.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Re: Gram The Midfielder

Statsman wrote:What do people think of developing Gram into a midfielder?
That's where I want to see him. That's where he wants to play. Given he was put in the centre a few times in the last two weeks, I wouldn't be surprised if Ross wants to see him move in there.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Gram should stay at half-back. His best work is done when he receives the ball from a switch of play, runs 25m and kicks to a loose midfielder on the wing who can then choose an option up forward. Gram isn't a good quick decision-maker and often kicks it over the head of leading players.

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

He has good anticipation of where the ball is going to drop or spill, gets himself in the right spot, and does some good mopping up work. Too useful in that role to pull out of defence altogether.

gO.SainTs
Club Player

I think it would be good with Gram along with Joey on the wings, alongside Hayes, Ball, Harvey, Dal Santo. It could be possible :)

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I've been thinking about this very issue for a while and it's (another) great thread by statsman.

With Goddard returning from a knee injury, Maguire and L Fisher back to full-fitness, plus Sam Fisher already in defence - we are very, very well stocked with running players in the back third.

Can we think about converting Gram into a midfielder? Definitely - but would we be better off converting L Fisher or Goddard? All worth a thought.

I actually think we could better use Goddard as a HFF in the Hamill role, leaving the others as is. His kicking is so good and he can take a grab - he could become a 50-goal a year forward and, with his height, provide a third tall option.

I'm open to change that view, but for now, I say that's worth thinking about. It's partially inspired by our lack of player for that role, and equally inspired by the fact I think Gram - probably the most equipped to become a F/T midfielder - has genuinely found his niche running out of defence.

Where will we find more midfielders? Trade hard and fast for 19-24 year old midfielders who are looking to step up their careers. There's heaps of them at West Coast and Port Adelaide.

We also need to get them via the draft, in the long term anyway.

There's no doubt about it - it's a massive trade week.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

spot on with your opinion on where goddard should play next year everton.

As for Grammy in the midfield, i am all for it (albeit as an outside mid obviously) as i feel he would be a more damaging option than Fish who would be worthwhile as a defensive mid at best.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Iratedebate
Club Player

Gram to the midfield definitely has some merit, cause he does have what we are sorely lacking in the middle and that is pace. He would have to work on his kicking though, because pace alone will not help, and he can butcher the ball with the best of them

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Would be robbing peter to pay paul. Though with Gilbo, Sam Fisher and Bj the run in the backline is still there, but Gram is also a solid defender against his man. If we had a good replacement at half back, then yes. Otherwise I think he'll keep doing what he does atm.

Carpe Diem
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I've been on this bandwagon for a while. Agree with all of your points Statsman, GRAM is the answer.

I'd also like to add that I think Gram is terrible as a defensive defender. He's a ripping attacking defender but struggles when his man is on the lead which is surprising given his pace.

It was a ridiculous waste to have him deep on the goal sqaure yesterday.

I reckon Goddard up forward as he recovers is also an excellent idea. We could do with his football brain there too as our forward line doesn't operate as smartly as it should (no room, 3 big blokes flying for the same ball, blokes running into space that should be left for Roo/Kosi/G to lead into). BJ is a very smart operator & would be great in that role (combined with his marking & kicking).

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

I think he is fast enough and, as clean disposal is now the rule rather than the exception where he is concerned, I think an outside wingman role is perfect for my boy.

He is not an in and under player, so even as a midfielder would need to be an outside player, second or third in line for the HB to deliver that beautiful raking kick into the sweet spot inside 50.

That would be awesome, and I think we've seen the makings of this the last few weeks.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

We've got the inside players well covered! We need some spark! Gram is the spark plug!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Gram is a midfielder.

And when he moves into there he will dominate like no tomorrow.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I reckon his fitness is already there....he runs out games better then any others in the side.

Goddard off HBF with Sam Fisher and Gramy on a wing....don't mind Gilbertr developing into a midfielder either!

Hayes, Ball and hopefully Armo to be the grunts in the the middle with Monty, Gram, Fiora outside players and Dal Santo doing a bit of everything!

Fiora's development and Gilbert's emergence are the 2 best results of an ordinary year!

Nee!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Lacks composure under pressure, hopefully the more games he gets into him, the more confidence he gets and can shrug this tag.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

riccardo wrote:He is not an in and under player, so even as a midfielder would need to be an outside player, second or third in line for the HB to deliver that beautiful raking kick into the sweet spot inside 50.
He doesn't get a lot of contested footy, but do you think that's the way he naturally plays or is it the way he's been told to play? It's a chicken and the egg type thing. To me, he's been used in an outside role for the past two years. I think if he were put on the ball more often he'd win more contested footy, kind of like Montagna did this year. He's a class player, and I have confidence that he'd do well no matter where he was selected.

Personally, I think he could be a 20-goal running midfielder if we put him in there. People complain that we don't have enough speed in the midfield and we don't kick enough goals. I think Gram would help solve both those problems. Yes, we'd miss his run off HB, but I think that's a lower pressure position that a young up and coming player with good disposal would be able to fill just as well. Gilbert would be my first choice to play that role if Gram were moved.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

GT used to play him there in his early appearances for St. K. He looked good, but every time he got a chance, he'd injure himself. Personally, I've been saying for a while (don't know if on here) that I think once goddard comes back, Gram on the wing will be a natural and winning move.

He'll be on the right what Black used to be on the left for us with long kicks. He's got pace, and is time at HBF will make him a good option for pushing back when we're getting defensive.

From there it's a natural step to part of the on-ball rotation, which I suspect might have happened in '07 if not for the decimated backline.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Sam23
SS Life Member

Gram played midfield in the last quarter and pretty much won us the game with the clearances along with Joey and Dal.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I think Gram is best suited to HBf and IMO it is as important as midfield. You only have to look at Andrew McLeod and Lindsay Gilbee to see how important that position is. Except for centre bounces most players bar KPP are onballers anyway.

Red
Club Player

I'm not sure why the hype Grammy's second half of the season has been

fairly average. When the opposition stop him from running he really has no

effect on the game. In saying that though who would you have running off

half back as his replacement?