Greg westaway on sport 927 audio 4/10/07

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Greg westaway on sport 927 audio 4/10/07

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Corporate sponsorship and membership are the main avenues to an increase in turnover according to GW, at least over the next couple of years.

Believes we should aim for 40k members, which is 10% of our wider supporter base in the community ... not for next year, but over the coming 3-4 years.

Said he wasn't happy about his quote about winning a flag being taken out of context ... I sense GW is not used to dealing with the media on a regular basis, but he is a smart operator and will improve in that area.

Will assess the current staff and look at shifting responsibilities and employing more people. Believes Archie Fraser has "worked hard" under cost pressure.

Said that the revenue will come first, and that new "responsible spending" won't be undertaken without the extra dollars.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:
Said that the revenue will come first, and that new "responsible spending" won't be undertaken without the extra dollars.
Does that mean no additional spending until we have increased revenue?

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

I suppose so ... his words were that the revenue would "come first" and that "responsible spending" would "then" be undertaken.

But I suppose if he has sponsors ready to come on board in the next couple of months then we could see revenue (and hence spending) increase in the short term.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:I suppose so ... his words were that the revenue would "come first" and that "responsible spending" would "then" be undertaken.

But I suppose if he has sponsors ready to come on board in the next couple of months then we could see revenue (and hence spending) increase in the short term.
Except that initially any additional new sponsors would surely only be replacing the ones we have lost?

It will need to be a significant number (both in terms of quantity and $) to replace the major sponsorships of Bill Express and Vodafone as well as the mid-tier sponsors we have apparently lost, before we actually have more money from sponsorship than we had in 2007.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

True.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

interesting interview there with butterss as well....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
Does that mean no additional spending until we have increased revenue?
Is that excatly what the old Board was tossed out for??????????????? or at least of the main reasons given.....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saints43
Club Player

Wasn't it the inability of the previous board to raise those extra dollars despite relatively healthy on field performances over a number of years that saw them removed?

GW's brief is to raise those extra funds.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:Wasn't it the inability of the previous board to raise those extra dollars despite relatively healthy on field performances over a number of years that saw them removed?

spot on, got it in one.

Shame that clown KB can't understand this vital point.

FFS we were the number 2 Vic team in TV ratings, let have the lowest revenue base.

Figure that one out!!!

The Peanut
Club Player

Saints43 wrote:Wasn't it the inability of the previous board to raise those extra dollars despite relatively healthy on field performances over a number of years that saw them removed?

... Thats is the key reason that sold me on the GW ticket ... rather than cutting corners to make a profit, I was willing to give these guys an opportunity at trying to increase income through better managed sponsorship deals and packages, A new look at membership packages and approach, new ideas and creative club event planning and resourcing etc.

I guess these current topics are just the questions the media are asking GW at the moment and I imagine that the incoming board won't be able to organise their 'money making' plans properly until they have spent some time with the staff and have fully reviewed the detail of the inherited commitments and processes.

But I think that the sooner GW falls into the media background the better - I know that he is a wanted man by the media at the moment but it doesn't really look all that good watching him cutting his teeth in this area. A bit like RB during the GT sacking - as the hair removal add states on SEN 'it's just not a good look'. Burkie is much more experienced in the media and a much better front man IMHO.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

anyone else think Mick maguane got on well with Rod- the style iof interviews were markedly differant
one they kept trying to ask another quesion before the first was answered
the second there was no pushing at all."fantastic support to us"

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

and here i thought it was footy first ???
i think this go's to prove that all along it was a problem with RB not the way the board was run

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:anyone else think Mick maguane got on well with Rod- the style iof interviews were markedly differant
one they kept trying to ask another quesion before the first was answered
the second there was no pushing at all."fantastic support to us"
Yes.

Mick almost sounded like he was on a personal vendetta against Westaway, and Michael Christian was desperately trying to play the good guy and smooth things over.

Both third-rate media performers IMO.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
and here i thought it was footy first ???
i think this go's to prove that all along it was a problem with RB not the way the board was run
And therein lies one huge problem.

The ticket was called Footy First and was all about spending on the footy dept.

But now it is Revenue First before the spending can commence :shock:

What a con job. But this is what was howled down by the baying attack dogs of the Westaway smoke and mirrors political campaign.

So the question must be asked. Was the Footy First ticket based on lies, deceptions, and fraud?

What happens if the revenue doesn't materialise?

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear oh dear.

Dont wish too much for what you want for you will surely get it. :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
The Craw
Club Player

joffaboy wrote: And therein lies one huge problem.

The ticket was called Footy First and was all about spending on the footy dept.

But now it is Revenue First before the spending can commence :shock:

What a con job. But this is what was howled down by the baying attack dogs of the Westaway smoke and mirrors political campaign.

What happens if the revenue doesn't materialise?

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear oh dear. 8-)

Dont wish too much for what you want for you will surely get it. :roll:
Didn't realise that Westaway was a labor man.....stolen his policies from Rudd.

Not Craw, CRAW!