Is There Anyone We Can't Beat?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Huzzad
Club Player

Is There Anyone We Can't Beat?

Ok, a serious topic, preferably without rose-coloured glasses and starry eyes.

But looking at our list, taking into consideration our new aquisitions, players we've delsited and are no longer relying on, our rather decent fixture etc, who do you think is going to be capabable of beating a St Kilda outfit playing at maximum POTENTIAL. I know potential and reality are two different things, but with a good pre-season, a coach now settled in, no misbehaving board and former coach (hopefully), Misson and etc, there seems to be more focus and importantly a chance that we will not have such a horrid injury run in 08 *touch wood*

Anyway, last year, I thought with our talent we could knock over anyone if we had an in-form team. I think in 08 our team is much stronger and more focused so which teams are we all seeing as threat to our premiership hopes? I think our biggest threat is Geelong, but they will be a different outfit next year and I reckon we will have a good crack at them. Everyone else, when palying them last year, the only thing that let us down was injury & form. With these two hopefully eliminated, or atleast vastly improved upon, I reckon we might have a good a season as 04, if not better :)

Thoughts?

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

we can flog anyone

geelong included

i have no doubt

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Winmarvellous
Club Player

Until proven otherwise, I don't think we're in Geelongs class ATM, but a new season brings different results so who knows. However, I don;t think we can beat Port at home yet, and will struggle against both WA teams at Subi. Apart from that, I really don't see any other team as a major threat after the evenness of last season. Some will slide, some will climb. Hopefully we can climb, and remain rather injury-free. If we get a full pre-season into EVERYONE, we might be able to run out games towards the end of the year, which cost us dearly last year.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

anyone can beat anyone these days

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:we can flog anyone

geelong included

i have no doubt
I agree...

Been that way for the last four years....

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

we struggle against port at ammi every year the subi matches are always tough with the umpire influenced by the crowd on the 50/50 calls
the lions have been tough in the past and i think they will continue to be tough
Geelong we can beat but we need a team effort the "just kick it to Roo" game plan is not going to take home the points against them anymore

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

any team can beat any team.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

The_Dud wrote:anyone can beat anyone these days
and vice versa......... 8-)

big_mac_evoy5
Club Player

well i think with teams all fully fit we would be the best but there would be two major threats at there best:
geelong: solid unit but i think we can beat them like years past.

west coast: when they are up and running they are very good even with out cousins or judd they still have a gun team. with glass cox kerr etc.

but at home i think we can be unstopable. we should have an 04 like start to the season *touch wood* because 10 out of our first 11 are at the dome

saints for the flag armitage for rising start
GrumpyOne

Was it Angry Anderson who sung:

"We can't be beaten"? :D

JeffDunne

Solar
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:we struggle against port at ammi every year the subi matches are always tough with the umpire influenced by the crowd on the 50/50 calls
the lions have been tough in the past and i think they will continue to be tough
Geelong we can beat but we need a team effort the "just kick it to Roo" game plan is not going to take home the points against them anymore
agree with the lions being tough at the gabba, but we have been very close in the past few years (this year excepted) against port.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Solar
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:Image
good call....

only certain things life is taxes, death and being screwed by the AFL :D

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Leo.J
SS Life Member

GrumpyOne wrote:Was it Angry Anderson who sung:

"We can't be beaten"? :D
Rose Tatoo fronted by Angry

jk23
Club Player

If the boys forget who are they are playing and where and believe in their own ability, we can beat anyone.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Without rose coloured glasses? The Saints are a team who have to prove themselves to be considered in the top 8, let alone top 4 they aspire to.

Potential may look like it's finally about to pay off in so many cases, but that is the rose coloured view the offseason gives us. In truth, we've got as many questionable players as anyone, we've got a game plan that has yet to prove itself truly successful, and a history of injuries that we just can't seem to shake.

Will Goddard be as effective coming back from his knee injury? Can Hayes find the kind of form he was in before doing his knee? Will Gardiner see the field at all? Does King really have a season as a #1 ruck left in him? Can the clarke's shake their injury woes to find form? Will Ball be able to run and kick? Can Hudghton and Maguire stay on the field this year? How effective will Gehrig be? Does Harvey have enough left in the tank to keep being a solid contributor? What can developing players contribute?

There's not that many things that have to go right to be top 8. Certainly if all of them go right, we should be top 4... but honestly, even if everything goes right, we still need the Saints to play at their peak to be in step with the year Geelong had in '07 (which Cats fans would have needed prescription rose coloured glasses to predict this time 12 months ago).

On paper, the Saints are fantastic. In reality... I imagine that for at least the first half of next year my attitude is going to be a lot like it was the first part of '04... "please don't blow this one!" :)

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Every player giving 100% and a bit of luck with injuries will see St.Kilda lift the cup in '08, however will we get that luck, will everybody put in? if the answer to both those questions are yes then we can beat any team...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saint-stu
Club Player

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:Image
we beat them
we just cant beat them at Aami.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Huzzad
Club Player

I reckon we have a great chance to beat them at Aami. Remember our performance agaisnt the Crows in the final a few years ago? I believe the crows team then is a better team than the 07 power. Guess we will have to wait and see but as we saw against the Eagles @ subi, with all guns firing, it shouldn't matter what ground we are at.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
StSteven
Club Player

Yes any team can be beaten on any day. However to be a good side with Premiership opportunity you have to do it week in and week out against ALL sides.

Yes we can beat ANY side on any particular day BUT WE HAVE TO BEAT ALL OF THEM ON EVERY DAY.

I fail to see the evidence that we can do that yet. I am hopeful however.
Last edited by StSteven on Sun 30 Dec 2007 11:57am, edited 1 time in total.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:Image
There are now at least 2 people who have this pic on their dartboard;

GRANT THOMAS

JAMES BRAYSHAW

!!

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:we can flog anyone

geelong included

i have no doubt

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

big_mac_evoy5 wrote:at home i think we can be unstopable. we should have an 04 like start to the season *touch wood* because 10 out of our first 11 are at the dome
agree. we need to hit the ground running and establish ourselves as premiership contenders from the very outset. none of this "peaking at the right time" bulls***. i want us to try to win every game we contest.

let the cats and all know we're coming for them. it must burn in the guts of our guys that geelong has a flag and we don't ... yet!

saint-stu
Club Player

Port have been our bogey side in recent years (since 2001). I think we were a bit lucky when we beat them in '06. Even when they're not going well, we still seem to lose to them.

This guy is a real pain!