Thoughts on the gameplan?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

hAyES
Club Player

Thoughts on the gameplan?

Even though it's hard to tell being it was a NAB cup game and how hot it was, the further we went into it the more we saw the type of gameplan that Ross wants our team to play. It looks like more of an accountability type of game rather than a flooding one.

What I'd like to see more of is playing on after a mark or at almost every opportunity. With Roo, Gehrig and Kosi up there and midfielders like Dal, Hayes, Joey etc there's no reason to not get it in there as quickly as possible to give these guys every opportunity. We have plenty of attacking style players that could be wasted if our focus is on shutting the other team down, so hopefully Ross realises this.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Thoughts on the gameplan?

hAyES wrote:With Roo, Gehrig and Kosi up there and midfielders like Dal, Hayes, Joey etc there's no reason to not get it in there as quickly as possible to give these guys every opportunity. We have plenty of attacking style players that could be wasted if our focus is on shutting the other team down, so hopefully Ross realises this.
agree and from what RL has said i think he does realise it.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

I think the RL tweaked things a little last night because of the heat and the fact that we were playing the Crows ...

He completely shut down their normally deadly run from half back ... made for a crap game, but it worked and we won.

That's twice that Lyon has comprehensively outcoached Neil Craig on gameday too.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
hAyES
Club Player

Oh When the Saints wrote:I think the RL tweaked things a little last night because of the heat and the fact that we were playing the Crows ...

He completely shut down their normally deadly run from half back ... made for a crap game, but it worked and we won.

That's twice that Lyon has comprehensively outcoached Neil Craig on gameday too.
I hope so because to be honest I wasn't thrilled with the way the game was played last night, but it's understandable because of the heat. We should be up near the top for Points For, not struggling to kick a goal in a quarter.

Can't really tell until the season starts, so here's hoping that overly defensive shyt is gone.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

hAyES wrote:We should be up near the top for Points For, not struggling to kick a goal in a quarter.
agree given what we can put out there. quick and direct movement to a very dangerous forward line. guys prepared to take risks. goals on the board.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

We beat the crows at their own game, shutting them down off half back and pressuring the ball carrier.

It's also important to note that both teams struggled when kicking at goal and I would hazzard a guess to say this could be because of the heat.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Huzzad
Club Player

As per a recent real footy article (I believe) RL wants quick ball movement, to use the corridor and get it in the F50 as quickly as possible. Pretty much what people on here are saying, but just wanted to point out that it is official.
Last edited by Huzzad on Sun 09 Mar 2008 7:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
hAyES wrote:We should be up near the top for Points For, not struggling to kick a goal in a quarter.
agree given what we can put out there. quick and direct movement to a very dangerous forward line. guys prepared to take risks. goals on the board.
We saw that against Geelong and Richmond, and hopefully those games give the best indication of our style this season ...

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
asiu

i luvved the way we ....
beat the crows at their own game, shutting them down off half back and pressuring the ball carrier.

the capability of playing both shut down and move it on quickly might make us a bit dangerous , especially if we do it well

i like the way the crows play ....some tall timber to kick to and they'd be dangerous too

JeffDunne

Oh When the Saints wrote:I ... made for a crap game. . .
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

While not one full of 'Capper' moments, I found most of it highly entertaining.

The overall result didn't really worry me but I found some of the individual battles absorbing. For instance, I reckon last night was one of the smartest games Milne has played for the club. The ball didn't always fall his way but he was doing some fantastic work.

nicko016
Club Player

The game plan still seems to be a work in progress. It seems as if Ross Lyon is trying to get us playing an accountable gameplan and get that down pat before expanding our gameplan to become more attacking and quick moving. I think he hopes to make us more attacking with quick ball movement to our forwards once we have got our game plan in terms of accountability to a point where he's happy with it. Its like he wants to buld a solid base and defence before expanding the gameplan.

But I think its been really promising so far the way its been working. The number of times we've seem teams stuck at half back or across the centre looking to go laterally rather than straight has been really good. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

i think the 1st half of the game was boring and it lacked some sort of drive. But once the 3Q began it was a much more solid game evolving.

Go saints in '09!
saint08
Club Player

I loved loved loved that RL was willing to make a move of Allen off tippett and Sammy Fisher on , after a couple of times Allen was outmarked .......

( even though when i was watching on channel 10 shortly after the change , Tippett marked on the lead against Sam and the commentators were moaning incorrectly about the need to move Allen off Tippett)

RL didn't display any arrogance of just keeping on plugging away with the same mistaken strategy , ...he is quick to make moves , and has clever alternatives-. I think GT had a lot of strengths , but he held on to his pregame plans for too long when most supporters could see a move was needed....

good one RL

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Apart from the adelaide game I am very pleased with our gameplan. Even against the bombers we looked the goods all until we had to kick to a forward or where in the front half, we just lacked quality talls (Kosi, Fraser and Roo - for most of the match).

Adeliade will never win a flag if they continue to play the way they do, they need new forwards, a new forward set up, or a more attacking gameplan. Putting Mcleod and Goodwin up there isn't the answer as they only rob peter to pay paul.

Carpe Diem
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

What is the game plan?

Could somebody please explain what it is that Lyon has instructed us to do?

ace
Saintsational Legend

The biggest change from last year is:
Instead of hugging the boundary all the way from the kickout to the mark inside 50.
When the ball gets to the wing, centre the ball (to the goal to goal line corridor) just outside the 50 metre arc.
The kick inside 50 then allows the forwards to lead left, right or straight.
That gives them a large area to lead into.
Bringing the ball into the 50 metre arc around the boundary only allows a small area for the forward to lead into.
That area is easily flooded and any mark leads to an angled kick on goal.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

While it was obviously a tactic to handball when bringing the ball from the midfield to half forward (to counter Adelaide's loose men in defence) I think we over did it. I can't make a judgement on most of the game since I couldn't see the whole ground on TV, but there were several occasions when we had Roo or Kosi in a one-on-one situation deep in the forward line and we still persisted with the short handballs up at half forward, got ourselves in a mess and let Adelaide run away with it. I'd like to see us back our gun forwards one-on-one occasionally.

Adelaide definitely stopped us from implementing our usual method of attacking, but in doing so the Crows sacrificed any sort of effective forward line.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

definetly been an emphasis placed on tackling over the summer... noticed players are more aware of the notion of tackling an opposition player around the arms rather than the waist hence making it difficult for them to get rid of the ball.

players also appeared to be more aware of where each was (increased communication?) and tried to use taps and knock ons to their advantage

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

ace wrote:The biggest change from last year is:
Instead of hugging the boundary all the way from the kickout to the mark inside 50
When the ball gets to the wing, centre the ball (to the goal to goal line corridor) just outside the 50 metre arc.

The kick inside 50 then allows the forwards to lead left, right or straight.
That gives them a large area to lead into.
Bringing the ball into the 50 metre arc around the boundary only allows a small area for the forward to lead into.
That area is easily flooded and any mark leads to an angled kick on goal.
I noticed this and was very pleased with this. It gives us a sense of unpredicatbility and also makes more games reliant on contests which I think we hold an advantage over several other teams. The handballing may have been infuriating when a long kick would suffice but really what could we do to counter the flood that would've been more productive? Miught as well handball around, eat up some time and wait for something ebtter to present itself.

Things I want to see are plenty of long kicks, plenty of tackles and less stupid decisions. With the best team we have out there on the park, a gameplan revolved around these key aspects would yield several wins next season.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:What is the game plan?

Could somebody please explain what it is that Lyon has instructed us to do?
Looks like you on your own cowboy...Id say that fell on deaf ears... :lol:

“Yeah….nah””