Will the Blues be penalised again?????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Will the Blues be penalised again?????

Well Liba after his second bake of an AFL Club within a month has ensured that he will never again work as coach at an AFL Club....

However if the AFL had to investigate Roos having a joke with his players....surely they have to investigate a claim by a then Assistant Coach of an AFL Club that his club was match fixing?
Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 14 Mar 2008 10:38am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
casey scorp
Club Player

Not on the basis of the "evidence" presented last night by Libba.

yipper
SS Life Member

casey scorp wrote:Not on the basis of the "evidence" presented last night by Libba.

Yes, shades of "the Castle" - it was the vibe your honour!! :shock:

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes it will come down to Libba vs a closed shop from the Blues.

Unless like last time the Blues were foolish enough to post-it notes on the players files....it will just get down to one guys word againts many......

and even though everyone knows that the Bles tanked ,...nothing will be prvable.

What it does clearly demonstrate though is that the current system is flawed and needs to be changed....bring on the lottery!!!!

markp
Saintsational Legend

If the AFL were fair dinkum they would investigate... so they probably wont.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

The priority pick system is an absolute farce and again yet another instance of AFL incompetence and being slow to act and how Demetriou can get paid a bonus in salary from $800 to 1.4 million, agreed to by whom exactly? :roll:

What role did Demetriou have in deciding to pay himself an $80% pay increase or was this just decided by those working with and under him? :roll:

FAIR DINKUM, absolute highway robbery.

Besides we all know the priority pick should have been abolished 5 years ago after the last time we got one.

Seriously there should be no priority pick and the bottom 8 clubs/ALL clubs that miss the finals, should go into a lottery for the top 8 draft selections.

This would stop any tanking and be a massive disincentive to finishing last.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Agree with the lottery system idea. Not sure it should be the bottom 8. Maybe bottom 4, then 9-12, then 5-8, and then 1-4.

I'm not sure it will happen though.

As for Libba's claims last night, what a load of hogwash it sounded. He provided no evidence and admitted he had received no directive nor had any direct involvement in deliberately losing.

Quiet media week me thinks.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
casey scorp
Club Player

barks4eva wrote:What role did Demetriou have in deciding to pay himself an $80% pay increase or was this just decided by those working with and under him? :roll:

The AFL Commission determined it. No doubt Demetriou believed he was underpaid, but the Commission would have undertaken a work-value review and determined that he should be paid more.

barks4eva wrote:Seriously there should be no priority pick and the bottom 8 clubs/ALL clubs that miss the finals, should go into a lottery for the top 8 draft selections.

I haven't given this much thought, but what about if the draft picks went:

9th - 1st pick
10th - 2nd pick
16th - 3rd pick
15th - 4th pick
14th - 5th pick
13th - 6th pick
12th - 7th pick
11th - 8th pick
8th - 7th pick

and then on from there as is currently.

That would eliminate tanking for last place because you'd only get the 3rd pick, no-one in a position to get into the finals would tank for 9th (I think) and there is an added incentive that a team which just misses the finals might get a boost to give them a better chance the next year.

There is one obvious downside, and that is that Richmond would get the 1st pick every year.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

casey scorp wrote:
barks4eva wrote:What role did Demetriou have in deciding to pay himself an $80% pay increase or was this just decided by those working with and under him? :roll:

The AFL Commission determined it. No doubt Demetriou believed he was underpaid, but the Commission would have undertaken a work-value review and determined that he should be paid more.

barks4eva wrote:Seriously there should be no priority pick and the bottom 8 clubs/ALL clubs that miss the finals, should go into a lottery for the top 8 draft selections.

I haven't given this much thought, but what about if the draft picks went:

9th - 1st pick
10th - 2nd pick
16th - 3rd pick
15th - 4th pick
14th - 5th pick
13th - 6th pick
12th - 7th pick
11th - 8th pick
8th - 7th pick

and then on from there as is currently.

That would eliminate tanking for last place because you'd only get the 3rd pick, no-one in a position to get into the finals would tank for 9th (I think) and there is an added incentive that a team which just misses the finals might get a boost to give them a better chance the next year.

There is one obvious downside, and that is that Richmond would get the 1st pick every year.
I was about to abuse you.....But on second though...That ain't such a bad idea...

Image 9th to 12th all fighting for ladder position upwards....It would be great.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: Will the Blues be penalised again?????

saintsRrising wrote:Well Liba after his second bake of an AFL Club within a month has ensured that he will never again work as coach at an AFL Club....

However if the AFL had to indicated Roos having a joke with his players....surely they have to investigate a claim by a then Assistant Coach of an AFL Club that his club was match fixing?
Of course they wont.

taz
Club Player

Bottom 8 ( or soon to be 10 ?) is a great idea. The fact is even if there is no clear plan to tank the system encourages poor performance for teams outside on the finals. As such there is the perception of tanking and the spectator will be mindful of it.

If you made it bottom 4 then the tanking is going to occur at positions just above the bottom 4

The fact is the is astronger incentive to make the finals rather than secure a lottery berth.

The additional problem that the AFL faces in such an arrangement though is how do you maintain the urgency for the full season rather than risk dead rubbers with no interest . Premier league soccer does it with relegation. Perhaps we need a two tiered competition??

markp
Saintsational Legend

Teams that finish 9th (or maybe 10th) to 16th should go in a lottery for picks 1 to 9. If you finish 9th you get one ball in the lottery, 8th two balls etc. all the way up to 16th and eight balls... when your number comes up your balls are removed and the next pick is made.

If you only had a lottery for the bottom four, teams may still see benefit in tanking late in the season to make sure they qualify.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Teams that finish 9th (or maybe 10th) to 16th should go in a lottery for picks 1 to 9. If you finish 9th you get one ball in the lottery, 8th two balls etc. all the way up to 16th and eight balls... when your number comes up your balls are removed and the next pick is made.

If you only had a lottery for the bottom four, teams may still see benefit in tanking late in the season to make sure they qualify.
That is the system that I advocate as well.

After the lowest teams have all had one pick each the remainder of the draft goes in ladder order including all remaining rounds.

markp
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
markp wrote:Teams that finish 9th (or maybe 10th) to 16th should go in a lottery for picks 1 to 9. If you finish 9th you get one ball in the lottery, 8th two balls etc. all the way up to 16th and eight balls... when your number comes up your balls are removed and the next pick is made.

That is the system that I advocate as well.

After the lowest teams have all had one pick each the remainder of the draft goes in ladder order including all remaining rounds.
Yep, exactly... but I meant picks 1 to 8 of course, I was never great at mafs! :wink:

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

but it will always be more advantagous to finish lower on the ladder, no matter what system you use

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

the reality is the only reason the AFL caught carlton in the first place, was they sent the WRONG report in to teh AFL and it was viewed by too many people, to be kept quiet.

really teh AFL doesn't want drama, it doesn't want to know teams are tanking, (its about the second worst kept secret in the competition), it doesn't want to investigate or do anything about drugs in sport, it certainly doesn't want to know about drink driving, sexual misconduct, and other drama, and vlad doesn't care about anything as long as his $$ keep rolling in, as you can observe by his annual pay rises.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
markp
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:but it will always be more advantagous to finish lower on the ladder, no matter what system you use
Beneficial at least, as it should be... but who (apart from carlton!) would start tanking in round 18 to make sure they got 8 balls in the lottery instead of 7?

Fair point dan, did I hear AD say the other day the AFL has no view on Pratt and the Presidency of carlton???

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Why not add in my variation of having the lottery in groupings? Forget the extra balls, just group them together in groups of 4 teams.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:Agree with the lottery system idea. Not sure it should be the bottom 8. Maybe bottom 4, then 9-12, then 5-8, and then 1-4.
Disagree about bottom 4, 9-12 etc...

Teams would still have a reason for tanking if they were just outside the bottom four, for example 12th with one round to go, as they would have the incentive of being in a group with the possibility of the number one draft selection.

Who cares if you finish 12th or 13th, but in your scenario a possible reward is on offer for finishing lower ie: if we finish 13th we can possibly get the number one pick.

My idea is the best idea, imvHO :lol: .........there is no incentive at all for finishing any lower on the ladder, outside of the finals.

If you don't make the finals then your in the lottery regardless of finishing 9th or 16th.

There is no need to have a lottery for teams in the finals 5-8, 1-4 as you possibly suggested, why would you?

I highly doubt that a team is going to tank a finals game, so they can get a higher draft selection.

Who can blame Carlton for taking advantage of Demetriou's incompetence and stupidity and the AFL's ridiculous rules, not I, if St.Kilda were in their position I'd have wanted us to do exactly the same thing to ensure we got the number one selection + the first priority pick.

The AFL are once again asleep at the wheel, as they were when Cousin's fled from a booze bus in the off season and helped West Coast win a Grand Final by a point later that same year in September as if everything was all hunky dory, sqeeky clean and jackie boo.

It is the incompetence of the man who just recieved a pay rise from $780,000 to 1.4 million for apparently being such an amazing operator with the justification in part being, we wouldn't want to lose him to another code or organization :roll: :roll: :roll: perleeeeeeeeeeeze

It just means there's over $600,000 more lining the pockets of this grub, which is over $600,000 less that could be given to help the clubs, the game and other far, far more worthy causes.

What an absolute rort, as if we need this todger tugging, rodger rubbing, pole smoking, scrotum stroking, dong bonging, schlong honking, willy whipping, derrier dipping, percy polishing, wrist wrangling, knob gobbling, bone monkey for the game of Australian Rules Football to prosper, seriously is anyone buying this?

Under his watch, there has been one scandal after another mostly as a result of either his megalomaniacal, machiavelian, gestapo approach or his incompetent buffoonery with the old snake oil getting more than a fair run.

Personally I'd like to see both Demetriou and Thomas get a room together located somewhere in the M31 galaxy and slug it out like Godzilla and Megalon.

FAIR DINKUM

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Yes I can see advantages in that system, other than the team that finishes 9th could get Pick 1 and the team who really needs the first pick that finishes 16th might end up with Pick 8.

At least with a grouping scenario, they have 25% chance of getting their right whack.

But I see the other point about tanking to get into a lower group.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Did Libba get sacked, or did he quit? If sacked, maybe its just sour grapes?

As to the priority pick, the last 8/4 in a lottery is better than the current system.

Andy D makes 14 gazillion a day, maybe he could get off his ample posterior and do something positive for the game that is compensating him so well for a change.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

When is tanking nor tanking??

Evidently when it is "looking for next year".

Now you cannot argue with the logic that if you season is gone....that you may be better off maximising next season chances.

But that alos means that you are deliberately lessening your chance of winning in the current season

Now this is all well in good except when there is dispropratiate reward for finishing lowe which then inspires a "revers" competition for finishing lower than other teams.

On the other hand the AFL is attaempting to even out the competition.

In most years there are say only say 2 or 3 exceptional players that teams would "tank" to get. The temptation is too great to not just preapre for next year...but to fair dinkum tank.

Finishing last is no longera fair measure of actually being the worst team.....so again to mea lottery is a system that balances it ou.

One with multiple marbles still rewards a lower palced finsih, but removes the "guaranteed" order of geting the best first , second or third players.

Finishing last would give you 8 times the chance compared to finishing ninth though,of getting first pick.

Finishing last you have good odds of getting one of the better picks, but there is only a slight difference between any next ladder position.

ie last is a fair bit better at 9th, but only slightly better than 11th etc.

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Teams that finish 9th (or maybe 10th) to 16th should go in a lottery for picks 1 to 9. If you finish 9th you get one ball in the lottery, 8th two balls etc. all the way up to 16th and eight balls...

when your number comes up your balls are removed and the next pick is made.
This is the best option by far - although I dont wish to be in the room when my number came up :shock:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Pwoit wrote:
markp wrote:Teams that finish 9th (or maybe 10th) to 16th should go in a lottery for picks 1 to 9. If you finish 9th you get one ball in the lottery, 8th two balls etc. all the way up to 16th and eight balls...

when your number comes up your balls are removed and the next pick is made.
This is the best option by far - although I dont wish to be in the room when my number came up :shock:
Well that would certainly stamp out tanking then.....as no one would not want to make the 8!!!!!! :wink:

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

It's worth noting when talking about tanking though, that no team has ever won a flag off the back of the draft.

Infact, off the top of my head Drew Banfield and Des Headland are the only No. 1 Draft Picks to play in a premiership.

I think draft picks are a bit overrated.