Riewoldt MUST go to the Gold Coast

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

After thinking about whether Nick Riewoldt would choose to go to the Gold Coast when the new team is formed, I suddenly realised - he does not have a choice. :shock: :shock: :shock:
It is simply unacceptable to the AFL for Riewoldt not to become a player and captain of the Gold Coast team. :( :( :(

When the AFL forms a team on the Gold Coast that team needs a headline player, someone who is seen to be a local boy.
Someone who can be used to market the new club.
Someone with a high football profile to shake the hands of prospective sponsors before they part with their millions.
We know, and the AFL knows the name of that player - Nick Riewoldt

The AFL will make it happen. :evil: :evil: :evil:
First they will do all in their power to tempt Riewoldt to the Gold Coast.
They will give Gold Coast a salary cap to pay him 2 million a year.
If that is not sufficient they can always exclude an experienced player from the salary cap as the Gold Coast will have no veteran players.
Make that 5 million a year.
If he still won't go, then Gold Coast will be given a compulsory pick of any player from any club.
That club may receive a priority No 1 draft pick as compensation but he will go. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

St Klida FC must face the reality now.
They must plan for the departure of Riewoldt no matter how strong his loyalty is to the club.
St Kilda FC must come up with a plan that will deliver the maximum compensation that can be extracted from the AFL.
Us, St Kilda fans need to face up to the reality - he must go to the Gold Coast. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

bigred
Saintsational Legend

May have something to do with him being sole captain...

I dont give a hoot about the AFL...

I guarantee the club would be doing everything it could to retain him.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
snoopygirl
SS Life Member

I thought I read somewhere that each club will submit a list of 10? players that are untouchable & that it also has to be by mutual agreement. Anyway, if we haven't won a flag by end of 2010 I'm not sure that we ever will.

kickittokosi!!!!
Club Player

I too have a feeling we may lose the champion Riewoldt.

However...
i did notice that the AFL are now saying the 2 new clubs will begin in 2012.

Riewoldt's current contract ends at end of 2010.

There's no way a 1yr deal would be considered by Riewoldt (or the club), so i would think we may get him for another 3yr period, keeping him at the club till 2013.

At that stage, he would be about 30 yrs old... would he then leave? who knows.

My reasoning has a lot of 'if's' and 'maybes' but i don't believe he would only sign a 1 yr, or that GC would choose to trade for him mid-contract. so i think he will be a saint for a good 5-6 more years.

I am missing something???
or do other people also see that situation playing out???

go saints!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

kickittokosi!!!! wrote:I too have a feeling we may lose the champion Riewoldt.

However...
i did notice that the AFL are now saying the 2 new clubs will begin in 2012.

Riewoldt's current contract ends at end of 2010.

There's no way a 1yr deal would be considered by Riewoldt (or the club), so i would think we may get him for another 3yr period, keeping him at the club till 2013.

At that stage, he would be about 30 yrs old... would he then leave? who knows.

My reasoning has a lot of 'if's' and 'maybes' but i don't believe he would only sign a 1 yr, or that GC would choose to trade for him mid-contract. so i think he will be a saint for a good 5-6 more years.

I am missing something???
or do other people also see that situation playing out???
I am with you. At that age he probably wouldnt want to leave but lets face it if he did he is going to be past his best so it might not matter.

PS if we havent won a flag by then he sould be encouraged to go.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

F*** the AFL

many years ago I read a stupid article suggesting st kilda should trade kosi essendon because essendon deserved another shot at the flag, I dont know if anyone remembered that but at the time it got me bloody furious.

when has the AFL done st kilda a favour? when has another club done st kilda a favour? they've feasted on st kilda for years.

either financially, or our players, or in the case of david friend, quite possibly our most brilliant administrator (IMO david friend was the best thing that happened to st kilda off field and a brilliant coup by RB, BW and GT)

I dont care if the gold coast football team dies is a vat of shyte, i dont support AFL any more, i support st kilda.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:F*** the AFL

many years ago I read a stupid article suggesting st kilda should trade kosi essendon because essendon deserved another shot at the flag, I dont know if anyone remembered that but at the time it got me bloody furious.

when has the AFL done st kilda a favour? when has another club done st kilda a favour? they've feasted on st kilda for years.

either financially, or our players, or in the case of david friend, quite possibly our most brilliant administrator (IMO david friend was the best thing that happened to st kilda off field and a brilliant coup by RB, BW and GT)

I dont care if the gold coast football team dies is a vat of shyte, i dont support AFL any more, i support st kilda.

What has this to do with the AFL. Have they said he will go. I dont think so.
No one supports the AFL but surely it is important that it gets bigger and better so we can continue to get the best players instead of soccer and cricket and this inturn will help the Saints survive.

ace
Saintsational Legend

My point is the AFL will make Riewoldt go to the Gold Coast.
He can go voluntarily or against his will, but he will go.
The AFL will try to make it look voluntary by making him "an offer he can't refuse".
How does one spell that mafia expression "capeesh".

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:F*** the AFL

What has this to do with the AFL. Have they said he will go. I dont think so.
No one supports the AFL but surely it is important that it gets bigger and better so we can continue to get the best players instead of soccer and cricket and this inturn will help the Saints survive.
i'd rather st kilda win a premiership than the AFL survive in the gold coast.

SHUT UP KRIME!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:My point is the AFL will make Riewoldt go to the Gold Coast.
He can go voluntarily or against his will, but he will go.
The AFL will try to make it look voluntary by making him "an offer he can't refuse".
How does one spell that mafia expression "capeesh".
The AFL will not make him go as the clubs will only agree to certain rules on players going. It is 4 years away anyway. Did you think 4 years ago Sammy would retired because of injury.

We only need to worry about this season and hopefully winning a flag and if we do I couldnt give a stuff anyway if Rooy did go in 4 years time.

theghostfromgronggrong

Re: Riewoldt MUST go to the Gold Coast

ace wrote:Riewoldt MUST go to the Gold Coast

After thinking about whether Nick Riewoldt would choose to go to the Gold Coast when the new team is formed, I suddenly realised - he does not have a choice. :shock: :shock: :shock:
It is simply unacceptable to the AFL for Riewoldt not to become a player and captain of the Gold Coast team. :( :( :(

When the AFL forms a team on the Gold Coast that team needs a headline player, someone who is seen to be a local boy.
Someone with a high football profile to shake the hands of prospective sponsors before they part with their millions.

The AFL will make it happen. :evil: :evil: :evil:
If that is not sufficient they can always exclude an experienced player from the salary cap as the Gold Coast will have no veteran players.
If he still won't go, then Gold Coast will be given a compulsory pick of any player from any club.
That club may receive a priority No 1 draft pick as compensation but he will go. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

They must plan for the departure of Riewoldt no matter how strong his loyalty is to the club.
St Kilda FC must come up with a plan that will deliver the maximum compensation that can be extracted from the AFL.
Us, St Kilda fans need to face up to the reality - he must go to the Gold Coast. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
You MUST go with him!

MAYBE you should go UP there first to make a little NEST for him when he eventually ARRIVES?

HOWEVER, until such time as you are ready to depart our SHORES it is probably a good IDEA for you to hysterically HUFF and PUFF as much WIND from your JACKSIE as you can possibly MUSTER.

You could EVEN highlight the odd RANDOM word with caps just to let the whole WORLD know how serious you ARE.

what do you THINK!???

PS: I dont think you should be too concerned about this because (just between you and me) the WORLD is going to SELF DESTRUCT in SIX MONTHS so therefore WE ARE ALL DOOOOOOMED...DOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There was panic in the glee club for the word had got around that the ghost of old Grong Grong was back in town.
aussiejones
Club Player

""Did you think 4 years ago Sammy would retired because of injury. "

It was a strong possibility because of the way he played the game .

ace
Saintsational Legend

In 1994, I signed a "mutual agreement" with the Keating Labor government.
I agreed to leave the federal public service "voluntarily" because the work that I did was to be outsourced.
It was a simple choice - let the minister tell the parliament, me and my colleagues had left voluntarily and get a redundancy payment OR force the government to sack me after a year of no work, get no redundancy, and tell any prospective employer I had accepted being paid to do no work for a year.
Like, that will get me a job.
The government called it "natural attrition". I say, I had no choice.
Mutual agreements mean nothing when one party can destroy the other.

Now St Kilda football club about that loan from the AFL .................. mutual agreement .................... Riewoldt ........................ Gold Coast.

theghostfromgronggrong

In the latest from the world of dumb predictions i also just heard that in 2036 a man by the name of Adolf Hicklegroober with the head of a viper will raise from the ashes of the 9th world war to lead the great hordes of the East against the babylonians...the news get worse by the minute!!

Dooomed!!!!

There was panic in the glee club for the word had got around that the ghost of old Grong Grong was back in town.
savatage
SS Life Member

Talk about paranoia. Stress all you like about issues you can't control. Please be my guest. I will continue to enjoy life while others stress about players leaving football clubs.
Last edited by savatage on Sat 15 Mar 2008 10:57am, edited 1 time in total.

kaos theory
Club Player

After thinking about whether Nick Riewoldt would choose to go to the Gold Coast when the new team is formed, I suddenly realised - he does not have a choice.
It is simply unacceptable to the AFL for Riewoldt not to become a player and captain of the Gold Coast team.

The AFL will make it happen.
That club may receive a priority No 1 draft pick as compensation but he will go.

Us, St Kilda fans need to face up to the reality - he must go to the Gold Coast
What a STUPID post....

You are either:

A) a 10 year old who scares easily

B) a very stupid & gullibe adult

C) a Troll

How do you step outside your house each day, knowing that you 'must' be hit by a bus, struck by lightning, eaten by a shark or stolen by aliens....?

big_mac_evoy5
Club Player

you rare insane if u think reiwoldt will be forced that would be tyhe worst thing the afl could do.

if he is captain they will not move him thats just stupid they will offer him a contract for 2011 onwards but he might go back but by then he would have been here 10 years this could be claddified as his new home he is a one club man he loves melbourne so u are jus a negative support with no faith in the club

saints for the flag armitage for rising start
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

teh AFL was pretty keen to hand fitzroy to brisbane when a deal was pretty much struck with north melbourne

the AFL pretty much ensure freo and sydney could take what players they wanted.

Im sure if st kilda were to suffer to help gold coast be competitive, the AFL wouldn't give a rats.

on this sheedy was right, just hand sydney a premiership and let the rest of the competition play football on an even playing field.

SHUT UP KRIME!
B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

Bloody hell, talk about a provocative post title.

Kinda agree with what you wrote though, shame that it is.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

For the 2008 season Roo is 25 years and 4 months..

2012 he will be 29 years and 4 months....asa big runner player....one that throws his body about one may suspect that his body may be starting to show abit of wear and tear by then.

Now I do not want to to lose him...but by then his very best years will most likely be behind him.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:For the 2008 season Roo is 25 years and 4 months..

2012 he will be 29 years and 4 months....asa big runner player....one that throws his body about one may suspect that his body may be starting to show abit of wear and tear by then.

Now I do not want to to lose him...but by then his very best years will most likely be behind him.
spot on. Whats the point in worrying about something that will happen in the future?

So what if he goes? We only got him because we were crap when he was in the draft. By that time he would have given 10 years to the club.

So far he has won four B&F's and by that time, who knows, so it isn't like he hasn't tried for us.

If he goes, so be it. Worry about it in 3 years.

Worry about how he will go as captain in 2008 if you need to stress about anything.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldt has bled for this club and given every ounce of his being to seeing this club succeed. I have seen only so few players give as much as he has to any sports team.

He is one player who the club owes nothing.

If he said he wanted to go, we couldn't stand in his way any more so than we did with Heath Black or James Begley.

It's just a fact of life. Having said that, he may not want to go - the bonds he's formed with St Kilda and Melbourne may see him want to play out his career here.

Either way, if he chose to go home to the Gold Coast, I'd let him...probably prefer he hoisted the premiership cup aloft at least once or twice before he did, though ;)

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

OMG!!! I can't control myself over the horror or something that might or might not happen a long time into the future!!!!

Seriously mate give it a rest!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

How about this idea.

-Priority Pick situation scrapped
-All previous Priority picks sent to Gold Coast/West Syd

Now we have no more PP's, and no one complains anymore about tanking for PP's.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

all this talk reminds me of when Plugger left for the swannys people were in shock how could we recover what would we do without our marqee player how would we survive ? the answer was simple the Stkilda footy club is more then one player if and its still at this stage a big IF roo were to leave at the end of his contract yes it would be a sad loss and yeah we would feel dejected and maybe a bit lost but just like when plugger left we would move on we would find a replacment we would continue as a club and we would rejoice that his best years were spent at our club just like plugger . 2010 is a long time away whos to say that in 2009 we wont pick up the second comming of plugger and be thinking Roo who ??? stop worrieing about the things we cant control in the future and for crying out loud lets put the whole "the AFL has it in for us " mentality to bed once and for all sometimes i think that s one of the reasons we only have one flag in our trophy room our constant need to blame someone else for our own misfortunes

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/