no credit where credits due- Goodes asked to explain

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

no credit where credits due- Goodes asked to explain

I have tried to find a thread this would fit into but couldn't
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 32,00.html
Goodes asked to explain shocker
Print Jenny McAsey | March 24, 2008
THE SWANS will take swift action to discover what ails dual Brownlow medallist Adam Goodes, whose form against St Kilda on Saturday night was so below par it shocked the coaching staff and left Paul Roos scratching his head.

Roos said he would speak with Goodes this week to help him overcome the malaise that saw him gather just seven possessions during Sydney's two-point loss to St Kilda.

Goodes was nullified by the Saints' Leigh Fisher and Roos said they had to ensure their game-breaker did not have a repeat of 2007 when he took until mid-year to have any real influence on games >>>>>>>>>>>>>

so nothing about the fact that yet again a Saints player has the cover on him well and truelly.
Last edited by saintbrat on Mon 24 Mar 2008 1:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Actually Roos did complement Leigh Fisher on a good job on Goodes
http://www.afl.com.au/News/NewsArticle/ ... wsId=56698
[quote]Although he acknowledged dual Brownlow medalist Adam Goodes was below par, he said he will take positives from the performance of Barry Hall, who is back from an injury interrupted 2007.

“You’re not going to see Goodesy play that poorly probably (again) and you’ve got to give Leigh Fisher credit where credit’s due, I think he did a really good job,â€

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: no redit where credits due- Goodes asked to explain

saintbrat wrote:Roos said he would speak with Goodes this week to help him overcome the malaise that saw him gather just seven possessions during Sydney's two-point loss to St Kilda.
he should ask leigh fisher for an explanation.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

ah so it's just the reporter hitting the home market ;
ok you can delete the thread now :)

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

What really annoys me about Jenny McAsey is that she writes for a national paper, but is really a Sydney club reporter. It's probably more an acknowledgement that the paper is really not a national paper, but a Sydney-centric rag. She has written 2 pieces on the game and hardly mentioned the winners. I only buy the paper when interstate and want the footy news, I really feel sorry for the Saints (or any other team) supporters living outside Melbourne.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

hey watch any sports news over a weekend and you will find the NRL leads-- even Bruce at the beginning of WWOS_ ( who are particulalry sydney centric anyway) only mentioned the NRL footy show-.

the ONLY one who appears to be bucking the trend is Foxtel- who now bring many of their weekend and alte night programs from the Melbourne studio-

all the others take weekend and after & pm news from their sydney studios.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
matrix
Saintsational Legend

try putting up with the papers in S.A... :roll:
two guesses what they are full of................

i got rid of foxtel, prices kept going up and up and they wouldnt let me just keep the sports channels, so after being a customer for over 9 years i told em to jam it.
theres only three saints games i wont be able to catch on telly cause they are on fox......i can live with that.

loris
Saintsational Legend

I've believe since the Saints have had their deal with The Age, info in The Australian on the Saints is very limited. Before this deal was done Chip Le Grand used to to lots of articles on Saints. And ofcourse whilst GT was at the helm Mr Smith was mentioning him & the Saints every second column. ad nauseum, plus Greg Denholm always did a sound commentary on their matches & got plenty of inside info about the club..

I noticed last season when the Saints played on a Friday night, the WA edition on The Australian on Sat was printed too early to have any run down on the match played Friday. Then when it came to the monday paper usually all you got was the score etc of Friday's match not a commentary. It was only if something really newsworthy happened about the Saints would they give them coverage.

Very minimal coverage prior to and after the NAB Cup. Methinks it's largely because of the deal with the Age that causes Saints very limited and selective exposure in the Australian these days. But nothing, absolutely nothing will make me buy the West Australian.......... don't even bother to glance at it when it's free in a coffee shop.

Then again........I don't mind taking good dividends from Western Australian Newspapers............ I've haven't got any scrupples :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: I noticed last season when the Saints played on a Friday night, the WA edition on The Australian on Sat was printed too early to have any run down on the match played Friday. Then when it came to the monday paper usually all you got was the score etc of Friday's match not a commentary. It was only if something really newsworthy happened about the Saints would they give them coverage.
same happens here Loris- had this beef a few weeks ago- first edition only past the 40 min to the west- even this week we got one quarter page article and picture- city got atleast three pages. And the papers now restrict how many photos they put online.

I wonder if The Age got into the games at the weekend- they were in dispute with the AFL on copyright.- same as cricket early in the season.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

If Roos is looking for the answer it is quite simple.

there were very few opportunities for an 'easy kick' out there on Saturday night.

My biased opinion of Goodes is that he often excels when the going is easy.

I reckon he is the worst dual brownlow medallist since Keith Grieg.

In line with Larry Donohue as the AFL leading goalkicker one year.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

GeorgeYoung27 wrote:What really annoys me about Jenny McAsey is that she writes for a national paper, but is really a Sydney club reporter. It's probably more an acknowledgement that the paper is really not a national paper, but a Sydney-centric rag. She has written 2 pieces on the game and hardly mentioned the winners. I only buy the paper when interstate and want the footy news, I really feel sorry for the Saints (or any other team) supporters living outside Melbourne.

...i don't buy them anymore...can get their footy stories on line....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Mr Magic wrote:If Roos is looking for the answer it is quite simple.

there were very few opportunities for an 'easy kick' out there on Saturday night.

You're spot on Magic.. the greatest outside skunk since Camporeale! Obviously umpires are impressed with a bloke who can run up & down the wing & manage to avoid hard ball gets at will! A true skill that Goodes the Skunk has mastered!

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Mr Magic wrote:If Roos is looking for the answer it is quite simple.

I'm not sure whether the above is serious or not... I've heard the same about Goodes from multiple quarters, but the line "worst dual brownlow medallist"... I love it! :)

Seriously, if people don't think Goodes can and does win contested footy, they're forgetting that Goodes plays for the Sydney Swans and plays more than half his games at the SCG. I don't watch an awful lot of Swans (for some reason... :) ) but I've seen him take more than a couple of games apart. He doesn't tend to do well against the Saints though.

There's an ad on TV where the perfect AFL team is 22 Jonathan Browns... amusing, but if you were going to do it for real, you'd have 22 Adam Goodes.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Personally I don't think there can be such a thing as a "worst dual Brownlow medallist."

What I would give to be a 1 vote getter, let alone a dual Brownlow.
Or to have played one VFL/AFL game.

There could possibly be a worst single Brownlow winner, but not a dual.

I thought he was an ordinary single winner when he won it, but when he won his second, I concurred.

Which makes JB and LF all the more special.