Interesting piece by Rohan Connolly

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Hi Folks! :D
Did anyone read Rohan Connolly's article in the Age? (monday 31st) I thought it was pretty much spot-on. We are becoming much harder to beat because of a stronger defence, and those terrible floggings of seasons 2000-03 now appear to be a thing of the past.
I thought the article reflected my own feelings about the Saints in 08; that we could at last be seeing the realisation of our potential!
(I've got me fingers crossed all the same :wink: :lol: )
Regards Folks!

Dave

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

I think he has a point too Jigging...
I think even in our losses we should at least be competitive and right in the hunt for most of the game, even when playing poorly. It's a part of our game RL has improved immensely, the ability to keep shape under opposition pressure!

The Saints are coming!
yipper
SS Life Member

Yep, there is no doubt that over the last 12 months - St.Kilda have become an extremely difficult team to score against. And this can only be a good thing. I think in past years - when an opposition team has got on a roll, they would smash us. This rarely, if ever happens now.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

yipper wrote:Yep, there is no doubt that over the last 12 months - St.Kilda have become an extremely difficult team to score against. And this can only be a good thing. I think in past years - when an opposition team has got on a roll, they would smash us. This rarely, if ever happens now.
We only have to look as far back as Saturday night to see evidence of this. First quarter we were dominated all over the ground, Murphy was racking up touches at will, Carlton were moving the ball freely and quickly, and we were only two goals down at 1/4 time!

The Saints are coming!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

We are the new Sydney, in mentality anyway.

I'd almost never write us out of any game, because we are going to be a very hard team to beat, but we'll rarely thrash sides like we did in 2004-6 because we have a totally new game plan.

In soccer parlance, instead of winning 3-0 one week and losing 2-4 the next, we're a solid bet to win 1-0 or 2-1 most weeks.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Go Sretnias Go
Club Player

Our backline is really driven by Sam Fisher week in week out and Jason Gram to a lesser extent these days and improves when Maxy is on the park and should be even better still with the Goose up and firing.

Sam Fisher is one of the most underrated stars in the game.

Once a Sainter always a Sainter.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I'd have to agree with the view that while we're harder to bag big scores against we don't look as if we'll inflict the kind of hammerings a-la 2004 in particular. There again, in 2004 we had Aussie playing some of the best footy of his career from a defensive position along with Heath Black who in my humble opinion was a MASSIVE loss to the side.
The boys who are currently playing those roles will grow into better players with experience and I for one, feel reasonably happy at the way we are building.
If you ask me would I like to see us playing the sort of footy we played for ten rounds (and a pre-sason comp) in 2004 of course the answer has to be yes!
Realistically however, I would much prefer to see us winning by smaller margins on a CONSISTENT basis over the course of a season and hit our peak when it matters.
2004 was a great year until round ten! its of no use whatsoever to be flogging sides off the paddock during march to July and then hit the wall later.
All-in-all I'm with Rohan Connolly

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Is anyone else as concerned as me that our current style of play appears to rely really heavily on our good players being out there?

As per Sydney over the past few years, they have been able to play a similar style only when they have a full list consistently. When they had players missing or not fully fit, they get mauled.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

:D I think that having "all our good players out there" would be first requirement of winning any game, regardless of being Sydney, Hawthorn, etc etc. The other point Rohan Connolly made was that we have for the first time in a year or two, a greater depth of cover for our players.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

in the past when we have lost we have loost terribly and looked 1% of the side when we are flying and scoring...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

The key to success is "Steady, consistent progress" rather than blazing for a short time before dimming again. The future looks good for a number of reasons not least being a quiet detrmination about the way the club is going about its business

StSteven
Club Player

In two weeks the theory will be tested. The Cats are an extremely hard defence with a high scoring midfield and forward line!

Can't wait to see where we are at!

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:In two weeks the theory will be tested. The Cats are an extremely hard defence with a high scoring midfield and forward line!

Can't wait to see where we are at!
i dont think its that big of a game to be honest

its within the first 4-6 weeks of the year...if we go out and get flogged its not going to have a major bearing or influence on our year...we build on it regardless fo the result

if we were to play them 1/2 way through the year towards the end of the year it would different as we are well up and running...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
StSteven
Club Player

I don't buy this idea you start the season slow and build up. For example Geelong have only lost one game in the past 24 or 25 games. We should be up and running all season.

You get the same 4 points for an early season win as a late one!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:I don't buy this idea you start the season slow and build up. For example Geelong have only lost one game in the past 24 or 25 games. We should be up and running all season. You get the same 4 points for an early season win as a late one!
i'm with you on this. to have a decent chance of winning the premiership you need to finish at least top 4 and probably top 2.

those interstate finals are a killer.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

:D Fair comment to a point, but many flag winners have less than spectacular beginnings to their season Port in 04 were not setting the world on fire early in the piece. Sydney in 05. On the other hand we saw Essendon in 2000 and West Coast in 06 go well almost for the whole year.
On the OTHER other hand :wink: Adelaide were almost shoe-ins for the flag both 05 and 06, fell down in september.
I've seen the Spectacular start (04) with the disappointment at the end. I'll go for a steady build-up with the flag at the end thank you very mulch!

aussiejones
Club Player

"but we'll rarely thrash sides like we did in 2004-6 because we have a totally new game plan."

In the next few games we will find out .
If we have a Plan B & C

We have good depth and a ruck ........ why cant we smash teams ?

aussiejones
Club Player

""Is anyone else as concerned as me that our current style of play appears to rely really heavily on our good players being out there? ""

prob relying less than in the past ......

Our current style is inclusive ie a team effort as against Carlscum.

We havent seen them this year whithout an almost full list !

We are not relying on Nick or Kosi to kick our winning score .. see last week . Now we have many options to goal if allowed to play a reasonable game (ie unlike the Sydney game style).

I think we are yet to reach our best by a fair bit ......not firing on all cylinders yet . Test will come against GEEEELONG if not before

maverick
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Is anyone else as concerned as me that our current style of play appears to rely really heavily on our good players being out there?

As per Sydney over the past few years, they have been able to play a similar style only when they have a full list consistently. When they had players missing or not fully fit, they get mauled.
Not worried at all.
We have an unbalanced list, any success we have will rely on our good players being out there....

midas_touch
Club Player

I agree that our defense is very good, and is quite underrated. Both Sam Fisher and Max Hudghton would nearly be in the top 5 defenders of the comp , even though there is very little recognition of them outside the club. Jason Gram is also a huge part of our defense, who is crucial to our counter attacks from half back. Once Maguire and Goddard return, we could arguably have one of the best back 6's in the league, rvialling Geelong's.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Re: Interesting piece by Rohan Connolly

thejiggingsaint wrote:The other point Rohan Connolly made was that we have for the first time in a year or two, a greater depth of cover for our players.
I'm still not convinced of that.

What we do have currently, is more midfield depth. But really, I believe that is due to guys finally being fit and healthy for once. Take Lenny and Bally and X out like over the past few years, and suddenly our midfield looks very thin.
Our backline certainly isn't deep.

The 'depth' players that we have at Casey currently, aren't in my view, much better than the depth players we've had there in the past.

Add to that, we have no injuries so our depth hasn't been tested.

I think depth is a bit of a mythical thing really. All the good teams or teams in form, coincidentally have their good players up and running.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Rodgerfox me ol' china..why do I get the impression that, on the Monday after we win the Premiership, you will come on here and post "Well, a flag is all well and good but we really need to win 3 straight like Brisbane to prove we are a great side..I'm still not convinced" 8-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
StSteven
Club Player

saint66au wrote:Rodgerfox me ol' china..why do I get the impression that, on the Monday after we win the Premiership, you will come on here and post "Well, a flag is all well and good but we really need to win 3 straight like Brisbane to prove we are a great side..I'm still not convinced" 8-)
He has got a point....until we win 3 straight we are not as great a side as Brisbane! We are not as great as Geelong at this stage!

saint-stu
Club Player

He has got a point....until we win 3 straight we are not as great a side as Brisbane! We are not as great as Geelong at this stage!
Let's not get greedy! One premiership in my lifetime will do for now.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

A few observations:

* We don't have just one game plan. Last year the Saints game plan when the opposition had the ball greatly improved....hence yes to the OP. We can now put the brakes on. This in part also how our defence plays but is alos a lot more about how our whole team now plays when the oppostion has the ball.

*That fitness wise we still have a lot of upside.
Goose and BJ yet to play.
Ball probably half a season (ala Judd) from getting near whatever his best will be..
M Gardiner still on the improve with match practice
Max underdone...
Lenny will get better still...

...and baker is still in the wings.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....